News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 17, 2024, 08:29:30 PM
Quote from: SidB on July 16, 2024, 04:26:10 AMIf you're so inclined, there's the option of getting a paleo-artist to add lips to your Megalosaurus. It's not cheap, but it puts a finishing touch on a prized figure. I really don't see PNSO re-issuing this one with lips any time soon.

I thought about trying to do it myself but I just don't think I could match the fine detail the PNSO sculpts have. I probably can't afford to pay someone to do it right now, but can I ask quite how "not cheap" it is, for future reference?

For the PNSO the prices for lips + matching paint were from 30 to 50  euros peer figure
Dilos were cheaper.

Honestly it really depends of how you see it.
I don't own that much models, so I prefer them to be top notch.
And once my collection will be complete, no more purchase (lets believe it...)

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on July 17, 2024, 08:49:33 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 17, 2024, 08:29:30 PM
Quote from: SidB on July 16, 2024, 04:26:10 AMIf you're so inclined, there's the option of getting a paleo-artist to add lips to your Megalosaurus. It's not cheap, but it puts a finishing touch on a prized figure. I really don't see PNSO re-issuing this one with lips any time soon.

I thought about trying to do it myself but I just don't think I could match the fine detail the PNSO sculpts have. I probably can't afford to pay someone to do it right now, but can I ask quite how "not cheap" it is, for future reference?

For the PNSO the prices for lips + matching paint were from 30 to 50  euros peer figure
Dilos were cheaper.

Honestly it really depends of how you see it.
I don't own that much models, so I prefer them to be top notch.
And once my collection will be complete, no more purchase (lets believe it...)
Then there's shipping, best not to trust such costly figures to regular post or an economy courier service.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: SenSx on July 17, 2024, 04:53:46 PM

Just look at the beauty of the Torvosaurus with lips

Wow I'm glad I started adding lips on my pnso's, I've been working my way to my torvo, I hope I can sculpt them as nice as this

SidB

Didn't recognize it at first, the lips make such a difference!

SenSx

Hello,

I cannot resist to show you the rest of my new acquisitions.
I got bored of waiting for the species I wanted in my collection to be finally made as figures in 1/35 scale.
So I commissionned the Brasilian artist Emerson Hul / ps_arts_official from Instagram to sculpt them for me.
They are all hand sculpted except one, he has started printed his own 3D models as well.
I really like their style, and they are affordable imo.

The figures I'm showing you are not quite ready, some got unfortunately damage during shipping, and I have to fix them.
Hope you enjoy them.

First the arthropods

Trilobite

Nicely done, but a bit big for 1/35, so might sell it in the future if I can find a smaller one.

Anomalocaris

Aegirocassis

do not enter images

Jaekelopterus

Is it a bit small for 1/35 ?

Pulmono Scorpion

Arthropleura

SenSx

Now the dinosaurs :D :

Herrerasaurus

Probably a bit big for 1/35 ?
W
I asked for the biggest size possible estimation for this specie, but it might be a bit big now for 1/35, what do you think ?

The color is not very natural, but I like it, it is based on an artwork foudn on the net.

photo album online

Uhtaraptor

Gallimimus

JP Gallimimus

Ceratosaurus Dentisulcatus

Is it a bit big for 1/35 ?
What do you think ?

Qianzhousaurus (Hand made)

I think Hul Emerson makes the best Qianzhousaurus on the market, and that was actually the reason for me to contact him.
This one is hand made, and would be a male.

Qianzhousaurus (3D resin print)

Now the 3D resin print.
I think it looks fantastic.
Look at this little fellow's lovely face, love the front view on the head.
Both of the Qianzhousaurus are different but will make a nice couple for me.

Carnotaurus

None of the Carnotaurus figure on the market satisfied me.
The Collecta and Safari were to big for 1/35, and the Haolongood did not have lips and such a small tail...they completey missed this key feature.
dinosaur_models_artworks could have fixed this for me, but I opted for full resculpt from Hul Emerson as it was cheaper, and I really like the result.
Look how thick the tail looks, the legs feel very powerfull and yet the way he has its feet on the ground makes it somewhat gracile.

Maip Macrothorax

Love Hul Emerson Maip, especially its slender head.
However the lips on one of the side isn as good, so I will ask dinosaur_models_artworks to improve it for me.
He also proposed me a repaint, as he found it a bit too simple, so lets see how it can become.

Plateosaurus

I know the color is not very natural, but I really enjoy it.
It is based on an artwork found on the net.

SenSx

And finally the Cenozoic animals:

1/35 Barinasuchus

poster image download

It is based on an artwork on the net, so the teeth are maybe a bit too outside of the figure, but that's how they were depicted on that picture.

And finally the Titanoboa

I really enjoy to have them in a proper scale, next to my Allan Grant.

Turkeysaurus

Congrats, they look great.

SidB

Just splendid, really. They open up a new perspective into an aspect of collecting that I hadn't explored before.

Concavenator

avatar_SenSx @SenSx Those are awesome, congrats!!

Your pics are the proof that dinosaurs like Gallimimus, Herrerasaurus and Utahraptor could indeed be made in 1:35 with no problems at all. PNSO could take a few notes and start turning their attention to interesting animals like these, rather than big scrappy megatheropod #81.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Concavenator on July 20, 2024, 02:33:34 PM....... PNSO could take a few notes and start turning their attention to interesting animals like these, rather than big scrappy megatheropod #81.

#81 was Lufengosaurus which everybody seems to like :) .

Concavenator

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 20, 2024, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on July 20, 2024, 02:33:34 PM....... PNSO could take a few notes and start turning their attention to interesting animals like these, rather than big scrappy megatheropod #81.

#81 was Lufengosaurus which everybody seems to like :) .

That one was admittedly a great choice. Arguably the most original release by them in a good while!

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: SenSx on July 20, 2024, 12:03:09 PM...
I got bored of waiting for the species I wanted in my collection to be finally made as figures in 1/35 scale.
So I commissionned the Brasilian artist Emerson Hul / ps_arts_official from Instagram to sculpt them for me.
They are all hand sculpted except one, ...
Asking for someone to make figures of your choice - that sounds highly privileged and expensive.
I wish I could do that.
Nice to see here from time to time, some original unique and new sculpts.
Congrats.

SenSx

Oh I forgot about these "little" guys:

1/35 Pulmono Scorpion

1/35 Lisowicia

Such a sweet attention to details  ;D

Thanks for the sweet compliments everyone.
And big thanks to Bread who made me know this artist.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 20, 2024, 07:11:30 PM
Quote from: SenSx on July 20, 2024, 12:03:09 PM...
They are all hand sculpted except one, ...
Asking for someone to make figures of your choice - that sounds highly privileged and expensive.
I wish I could do that.
Nice to see here from time to time, some original unique and new sculpts.
Congrats.

It is a bit costly, with so many figures, but I still think PS_Art_Official (Hul Emerson) is a one of the most affordable artist for that.
That is why I chose him, a good compromise between quality and reasonable price.
For exemple, for what I remember the Herrasaurus cost me 30 euros, or slightly above, and the Qianzhousaurus were 38 euros each.
Sculpt + paint, and you got to choose the pose and color for the hand made, with any other details you want to ask (important accuracy details, for exemple the thick tale of the Carnotaurus...)
Of course it's never perfect, he is no paleontologist, there might be size or proportions problem, but for the price it's ok.
3D resin figure from other artists like Paleokrhis might be on an other level of quality, but much more expansive, and you have to paint them (which can be cool though) or commission someone to do it.

Hul Emerson figures are very solid, and surprisingly stable, but if they ever fall, I think they will break, that is why I asked him to make me bases for each.
Those bases are really pretty, all different, with a nice attention to details.

I forgot to warn you that his previous Instagram account named : Emerson Hul was stolen :(
His  current account has his photo as an avatar, the wrong one is a T-rex skull in purple.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Oh wow! Those are all amazing figures, I'll definitely look at getting some myself! Thank you so much for sharing!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Might I ask how much the 3d printed model cost?

Primeval12

Commissioned my friend to paint this for me. Safari Concavenator with Carnegie colors! The perfect Concavenator IMHO

Bread

Wonderful sculpts by Emerson Hul, and I also recommend to anyone to purchase his pieces, both his hand sculpted or 3D printed models are fantastic and affordable! Glad to see more of his work, avatar_SenSx @SenSx

avatar_Primeval12 @Primeval12 wonderful repaint there! I've felt that Safari really missed the opportunity to paint it to reflect the old Carnegie counterpart.

SenSx

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on July 20, 2024, 09:12:22 PMMight I ask how much the 3d printed model cost?

Well I'm not very comfortable with talking about Hul Emerson prices instead of him, because they might have changed, and I also had those prices because I ordered many figures at the same time.
Yes I talked a bit about it because I wanted to illustrate that this commission is more affordable than you might think.

Both Qianzhousaurus were at 38 euros each, figure + paint, same price for hand made and resin.

You should also note that there is some delay before getting the figures, depending of his amount of work.
It took me a year to get my whole order, but that's also because I kept adding more and more figures.

The only downside was the packaging that could have been much better, many figures had broken claws I had to resculpt myself, and some paint rub.

SidB

A small (literally) acquisition, the 1/35 HLG Diaboloceratops:

Comparing it to the somewhat larger scale Safari and Schleich figures:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: