News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, February 01, 2024, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: Primeval12 on July 26, 2024, 01:44:39 PMSo it's Megalosaurus after all. I really like it so I will be getting it. I also love the Austroraptor. The Nanuqsaurus is the least good of the three but I will be getting it because it's Appa colored! Overall, Excellent lineup by Safari this year :)

It's interesting to see the Appa comparisons. I painted the reference guide for the Nanuqsaurus, and I wasn't thinking of Appa, at least not consciously, but I'm a big A:TLA fan. Mainly I was trying to create a color pattern that looked like it could live in a cold/extreme weather climate, while also not looking like any of the many many many pieces of Nanuqsaurus paleoart out there.

suspsy

I quite like the Nanuq's colour scheme. It is distinct from the CollectA version's and it certainly has a frigid feel to it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Primeval12

Quote from: Shane on July 26, 2024, 01:55:25 PM
Quote from: Primeval12 on July 26, 2024, 01:44:39 PMSo it's Megalosaurus after all. I really like it so I will be getting it. I also love the Austroraptor. The Nanuqsaurus is the least good of the three but I will be getting it because it's Appa colored! Overall, Excellent lineup by Safari this year :)

It's interesting to see the Appa comparisons. I painted the reference guide for the Nanuqsaurus, and I wasn't thinking of Appa, at least not consciously, but I'm a big A:TLA fan. Mainly I was trying to create a color pattern that looked like it could live in a cold/extreme weather climate, while also not looking like any of the many many many pieces of Nanuqsaurus paleoart out there.

Well I love it! Maybe next year we can get a Momo-colored Yi qi ;)

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on July 26, 2024, 01:38:23 PMYeah, not gonna lie, I would love it if Safari was able to return to their old method of revealing new toys. It would make planning on the part of collectors easier. That said, I'm sure it's a case of easier said than done.

Yup, Safari has their reasons and I respect them. I just like the traditional method of knowing the year in advance for the major companies. Just happy Safari still puts out quality products; and, hey, I am still probably getting at least five of their models this year!

Jose S.M.

I'm kind of glad that I didn't buy the PNSO Megalosaurus, this one looks pretty great and is probably a fraction of the price.
Super excited about the "raptor" because it has the Doug Watson look and I love his raptors.
The feathered tyrannosaur looks nice but I don't like leaning forward poses. My husband says I should get it if it is indeed Nanuqsaurus because he remembers it from Prehistoric Planet.

Gwangi

Well even though I have PNSO's I'll definitely get that Megalosaurus, it looks too good to pass up. The Austroraptor is a must have and the Nanuqsaurus is a maybe.

Of the extant animals the osprey, vulture, and mahi-mahi are must haves. Great lineup so far from Safari this year! Obviously a bit more prehistoric diversity would have been appreciated but thankfully there are other companies that fill those gaps.

SenSx

I really like how the lips are done on the Megalosaurus, you can really feel the dinosaur with lips, even with mouth open.
But I alwready own the PNSO with added lips, so I'll need a closer look, it could make a nice female or male.

SpartanSquat

The selection of new creatures are nice! But I hope safari will comeback to cenozoic fellas and other types of dinosaurs.
Im wondering who sculpted the new dinos. Megalo and austro feel watson ones, but who did nanuq?

Shane

Quote from: SpartanSquat on July 26, 2024, 04:59:46 PMThe election of new creatures are nice! But I hope safari will comeback to cenozoic fellas and other types of dinosaurs.
Im wondering who sculpted the new dinos. Megalo and austro feel watson ones, but who did nanuq?

While it's not my place to reveal the sculptors, I can tell you each was sculpted by a different individual.

suspsy

I can tell that Doug did the Austroraptor, bless him.

Roar

Is that thing next to the lion a Crypt? A norse troll?
Onwards to adventure!

Shane

Quote from: Roar on July 26, 2024, 05:35:02 PMIs that thing next to the lion a Crypt? A norse troll?

If you're referring to the drawings, those are prints originally created for San Diego Comic Con...I wanna say 2018?

They feature sketches of the Bigfoot, Yeti and Mothman figures, drawn by the artist who sculpted the figures.

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on July 26, 2024, 05:08:56 PMI can tell that Doug did the Austroraptor, bless him.

Honestly I am not sure of the Austroraptor or Megalosaurus. From these initial pics I can't say which is Doug's style. The Nanuqsaurus doesn't look like his style, I will admit.

Pliosaurking

I wasn't too far off the mark, I'm very excited for the Megalosaurus especially!

Roar

Quote from: Shane on July 26, 2024, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: Roar on July 26, 2024, 05:35:02 PMIs that thing next to the lion a Crypt? A norse troll?

If you're referring to the drawings, those are prints originally created for San Diego Comic Con...I wanna say 2018?

They feature sketches of the Bigfoot, Yeti and Mothman figures, drawn by the artist who sculpted the figures.
It is right in front of those sketches in a photo. Next to the lion and behind the dog.
Onwards to adventure!

SidB

Quote from: Shane on July 25, 2024, 07:58:16 PM
Quote from: marisaura on July 25, 2024, 07:54:17 PMthe raptor and the mystery theropod look fantastic. the feather crest is a nice touch that sets the raptor apart from the others safari has made, and the paint job on the other theropod looks to be one of their best. looking forward to getting the details on these!

Full product pages with will be up shortly after the end of Comic Con.

I'm excited for people to see that particular theropod, because I do think it is a step up in terms of paint, especially.

I'm keeping Safari's price point in mind in all of this. So far, so good!

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 26, 2024, 07:41:55 AMIt could be Rahonavis, or any number of Dromaeosaurs or similar animals with lithe or unknown skulls. Linheraptor, Imperobator, a number of basal troodonts, etc. etc.

I agree Austroraptor is most likely, mostly due to name recognition and the small forelimbs, but it's not like it's the only thing it could reasonably be based on.
It doesn't match Rahonavis as it's too tall and has forelimbs that are too small.  The head is too long to match Linheraptor's or any troodontid.  The only thing the figure could be is an unenlagiine and out of those all of them are too obscure and fragmentary to be made by Safari except for Buitreraptor and to a lesser extent Rahonavis, both of which have different proportions to the figure, or Austroraptor which is by far the largest and most well-known member of the group as well as the most popular and lacking a figure too.  Hopefully now you can see why I was confident it was Austroraptor.

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 26, 2024, 07:41:55 AMI don't pay much attention to large theropods so I wasn't aware they had an updated Allosaurus. But I think my broader point still stands that at that angle it's difficult to accurately judge the shape of the skull, especially anything that would normally be effecting the outline in profile.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention it, you're right that Safari has an updated Allosaurus.  That's the figure I was referring to.

Roar

Creature
Here is that creature in front of the crypt sketches. What is it?
Onwards to adventure!

Shane

Quote from: Roar on July 26, 2024, 06:45:18 PMCreature
Here is that creature in front of the crypt sketches. What is it?

https://www.safariltd.com/products/eugy-sasquatch-3d-puzzle

It's a EUGY Sasquatch 3D Puzzle.

EUGY is a brand based in New Zealand that Safari recently began distributing exclusively in North America.

They make cardboard 3D puzzles of different animals and mythical creatures with a unique "cute" style.

I have a few on my desk, they're pretty neat.

suspsy

Sooooooooooooooooooo, when is Safari going to release official images of all these new items?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: