News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

Everytime Mattel reveals a unique species that's slightly questionable, I think, "man... avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres has to buy this..."

This time, I might join him. This model is growing on me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Getting Moray Eel vibes a bit. I think that neck fin is translucent too?

BlueKrono

Oh no... I've mostly stopped buying things for my collections and Mattel has to go and do this? It's just too cool! 😭
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

EmperorDinobot

I have mixed feelings about it.

Feels too... JW Hybrids to me. And I love my ugly beasts. Maybe when I see it in person.
It's still going to be mine.

Dilopho

Does this one have any nostrils? The Elasmosaurus doesn't, it doesn't look like this one does either.

suspsy

Quote from: Dilopho on August 18, 2024, 06:26:32 PMDoes this one have any nostrils? The Elasmosaurus doesn't, it doesn't look like this one does either.

The Elasmosaurus does indeed have nostrils.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

Quote from: suspsy on August 18, 2024, 07:51:07 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on August 18, 2024, 06:26:32 PMDoes this one have any nostrils? The Elasmosaurus doesn't, it doesn't look like this one does either.

I have it and I just don't see it, there's what could be a nostril on one side, but it's not on the other side
It's so subtle that it could easily just be a gap between the scales, when mattel normally does more prominent ones.

And the Styxosaurus seemingly not having any kind of reinforces that idea.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Dilopho on August 19, 2024, 04:25:06 AM
Quote from: suspsy on August 18, 2024, 07:51:07 PM

I have it and I just don't see it, there's what could be a nostril on one side, but it's not on the other side
It's so subtle that it could easily just be a gap between the scales, when mattel normally does more prominent ones.

And the Styxosaurus seemingly not having any kind of reinforces that idea.

Looking further, it's a lot easier to see on "onion skin" in the photo demonstrating the action feature. It's definitely there, but the texture and lighting of the render make it hard to see.

Prehistory Resurrection

Didn't know that there were two variants of the Mapusaurus;

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't know if I'd call it a variant really, just different pigment amounts in the plastic? Probably different factories?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 23, 2024, 03:41:38 PMI don't know if I'd call it a variant really, just different pigment amounts in the plastic? Probably different factories?
The paint pattern on the flanks is also different, but I'm uncertain how random that is. On most Mattel figures it doesn't seem to be random at all (I assume it's done by machines).

Faelrin

Similar thing happened with that orange Savage Strike raptor a few years back. Very minor difference (stripe color), but they did have two different numbers on them that corresponded to which had darker and lighter stripes. I imagine this is the same deal.

My image of them both for the DTC:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dilopho

There's also a difference in the patterning on the Atrociraptor Red that comes in the Malta multipack vs the standalone one

Gwangi

I know that there are people that collect these variants, I can't imagine, I'm not a completest in any sense and still have trouble keeping up with what I want.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah my Mattel collection is constantly fluctuating..I don't really bother with repaints. I do some herd building but not much. I think Gallimimus is my most numerous.

Faelrin

Say hello to the HC Allosaurus!

Finally fixed crest placement since the adult Allosaurus design has been a thing back in 2019 with Battle at Big Rock.

Okay to be fair I think the 2018 juvenile had correct crest placement as well, but ever since then they've always incorrectly had them above the eyes, not before.

Sorry for the crappy phone screencaps. I'm so excited for this one. It looks so good. I'm going to bed soon, and will update the op later today (after 4am atm. Up way too late again).

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Prehistory Resurrection

A much better sculpt than the previous sculpts I think. From the sculpt to the detailing to the paint application, it's one of the few Hammond Collection releases that truly impressed me besides the Carnotaurus, the Therizinosaurus and a few others. Very screen accurate. The shots really manage to make the figure stand out. I think the time for its release is appropriate with Chaos Theory currently. A brilliant figure. Still hoping to see a Spinosaurus or Indominus Rex next for this line.

EmperorDinobot

*rolls eyes*

Parasaurolophus when?

Gwangi

This may be the first Mattel Allosaurus that I purchase!  ^-^

Prehistory Resurrection

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: