News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

hobbies and pastimes

Started by dyno77, March 16, 2022, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

Apart from dinosaur model collecting ,what are your other main hobbies?

Iv always had more interests than just dinosaurs, being a longtime sci-fi and fantasy film fan,as well as that iv a interest in mythology and unexplained anomalies of all types,which is a vast topic covering many aspects...
With the lack of dinosaur docs and features in recent years iv watched more on history,and how films are made ,and some other film related things which iv always found interesting...
Also am a casual gamer,not so much in recent yrs because of the overall decline in video-game industry,which is another topic im aware of as i watch the video game and movie news updates....

Pachyrhinosaurus

In addition to prehistoric toys, I collect modern animal toys, and I'm a regular at the local zoo. I also collect fossils and mineral specimens and I'm involved with my local rock and mineral club.

I have an interest in my hometown's history and traditions. We're a football town, and I never miss the Friday night lights when the season comes around. I have a decent collection of memorabilia, too.

Additionally, I'm a drive-in theatre enthusiast and regularly visit all our local drive-ins. I have a small drive-in collection as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

BlueKrono

I have roughly 107 different collections. It's a little out of hand. My biggest are almost certainly my prehistorics (plesiosaurs, fish, proboscidians, etc.), but I also have very large collections of Star Wars (Bossk, Commander Cody, Max Rebo, etc.), Chica from FNAF, snapping turtles + Gamera, Toothless the dragon and a sizable collection of taxidermy. All this in a house <1,000 sq. feet... I'm lucky my partner puts up with me.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

I like to read art books, philosophy, history, I like the exercise bike and walking

And a hobby of mine is the addition to study and work, I stay many times longer than necessary in my job. I am addicted to work and study or preparation of oppositions.

Mellow Stego

I strongly believe that having multiple hobbies/past times can help to avoid burnout.
For example I love:
Car detailing
Motorcycling
Retro gaming
Hiking/ toy photography

Of course having a kid has definitely slowed down the time I have for each one.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Halichoeres

I also think a variety of hobbies is healthy. Collecting prehistoric figures is probably the one I spend the most time on. I read a lot and have a modest personal library. I like LEGO and buy a couple of kits per year. I also like traveling (preferably by train and bus):

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Along with prehistoric animal toys I also collect extant animals, but that collection is much smaller and I only recently got into it. I don't really collect anything else but in an attempt to make my home my own personal museum I have acquired a lot of different assorted oddities. Taxidermy, skulls, shells, rocks, fossils, beer steins and decanters, wooden duck and shorebird decoys, a variety of artwork. I have a sizable personal library on a variety of subjects but mostly science and nature. I'm also a movie buff with a particular interest in horror, sci-fi, monster movies, creature features, fantasy and other niche genres. So although I don't really "collect" movies I still have a sizable collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays that I've acquired over the years.

Aside from collecting my other big hobbies include fishing (from my kayak is my favorite), field herping, bird watching, hiking, exploring, and wildlife photography. I also have an assortment of living animals, mostly reptiles. I used to be big into fish keeping but when I moved 4 years ago I had to part with my fish and haven't gotten anymore since. I don't travel far much but I enjoy going on day trips to various festivals, parks, museums, antique shops, and whatever interesting thing is happening locally. I do play video games but not very often and it's usually more of a winter hobby. I also just like learning, about a multitude of things, and so I read and watch a lot of documentaries about a wide range of things.

paintingdinos

I got back into collecting dinosaurs via miniature painting, which is probably my "main" hobby. I started with only getting figures I wanted to paint, but its shifted into mostly just collecting with occasional painting.

Other than that, gardening/homesteading. I grew a modest pumpkin patch a few years ago and it quickly turned into a mad dash to grow as much food as I possibly could. Outdoor gardening spilled over into indoor gardening when I decided to give aquascaping a shot during lockdown. That ended up being a bit of a rabbit hole, now I have a bunch of planted shrimp tanks haha

Faelrin

I mean aside from this hobby, it's mostly video games for me. Favorite series to visit or revisit in recent years has been The Elder Scrolls (Skyrim and others), Subnautica, Ark Survival Evolved (was playing this the past month), Jurassic World Evolution 1&2 (playing this again), Deltarune & Undertale, Castlevania, and Metroid, and Zelda, mostly, with some other old school games here and there. Single player only, though there have been times I played things like Smash Bros Ultimate, and Diablo 3 with my brother online on the Switch, but haven't done that in a a while. Can thank my depression for that, since its sapped most of my energy and interest in doing anything these days. Oh and I suppose it is also worth mentioning that I also make mods for Skyrim. Not as much as I used to (again depression), but I've done a few over the years for anyone wanting to check them out: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/1644518?tab=user+files In fact in a few of my various house mods, one can see my hobby for figure keeping spilled over into them as well, in some way, lol.

Occasionally I'll watch youtube, or movies, or shows like Star Trek TNG with my dad. I do like fantasy and horror stuff as well, so dragons, werewolves, and other mythical creatures like griffins, etc, are my cup of tea. Always was fascinated by them when I was younger, with characters like Draco in Dragonheart, or Universal's old monster movies, and such. In high school I also did a lot of research on world mythological monsters as well. Really interesting seeing how so many different cultures around the world have something similar to a dragon and whatnot. I also actually have a good sized collection of those consisting mostly of Safari's figures, and a few from Bullyland. Also love that Neca American Werewolf in London action figure I got earlier this year. And again speaking of Skyrim, I do spend most of the time having fun role-playing as a werewolf character.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos would you consider posting photos of your shrimp tanks to the "Pets" thread? I guess they aren't exactly pets but still...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Addryn

Dinosaurs is my new hobby so I can talk about my other favorite pastimes
I enjoy spending time outside - it can be a hike, just a walk with friends or family, or a ride a bike Tomasso. When I get tired of cycling, I ride a motorcycle. I drive carefully, and I had no desire to race.
For a while I was engaged in growing flowers at home, but since I can be away from home for several days in a row, this hobby did not suit me.
And of course, I love to play video games, however, now it is more and more difficult to find a decent and good game. Sometimes I like to read detective stories

Takama

Other then Dinosaur Collecting

Im a DVD and Bluray Collector Which is a Hobby that is becomeing harder thanks to the advent of Streaming ::)

EmperorDinobot

I just hunt down and collect figures now. I stopped drawing dinosaurs, haven't read a book in a looong time, haven't cooked, nothing. My life revolves around collecting figures and figuring out where to put them.

Georassic

Prehistoric figures are the only thing I collect. When weather allows, I fish and golf. (Last night for dinner, we ate trout I caught yesterday morning here.) I also DM for my boys' D&D campaign, do the NY Times crossword daily, and I am perpetually repairing or upgrading something in my house or yard.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.