You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is this for real? A bat winged Dinosaur!!!

Started by Alex-DinoFood, April 29, 2015, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

alexeratops

This is truly breathtaking, reminds me of the time when I asked if a Therizinosaurus could have webbed fingers. ;D Anyway, that artwork is beautiful. I can't wait to see what company makes it first XD
like a bantha!

Tyto_Theropod

I'm sure we would all like to give our great thanks to John Conway, Emily Willoughby and our very own Spinosaurus1 for doing this poor animal some justice rather than making it look like a demented chimera from straight out of a Hollywood SFX designer's nightmares.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on May 06, 2015, 01:12:31 PM
I'm sure we would all like to give our great thanks to John Conway, Emily Willoughby and our very own Spinosaurus1 for doing this poor animal some justice rather than making it look like a demented chimera from straight out of a Hollywood SFX designer's nightmares.

Hear, hear. Can you imagine if Papo were the first out of the gate with this? Quelle horreur!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Looking at Conway's rendition in particular- the way the patagium attaches almost at the base of the arm looks weird and awkward to me. Which is not to say it's wrong, as nature is often weird and awkward, and I cannot claim any real biomechanical knowledge.  It just seems intuitively like a bad way to build a wing/gliding structure for an animal that size.

Did scansoriopterygid legs really stay in a parasagittal plane like that? If they sprawled out like those of most gliders, the patagium could attach to the thigh. Or if not...maybe to the iliac crest? Hmmm. Looks like I'll be forced to read, and think. Darnit, Yi qi! You're going to give me a headache!

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 06, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on May 06, 2015, 01:12:31 PM

Hear, hear. Can you imagine if Papo were the first out of the gate with this? Quelle horreur!

No, Schleich and Jurassic Park will both beat them to it. Hell will be unleashed!

Quote from: Newt on May 06, 2015, 02:36:05 PM
Looking at Conway's rendition in particular- the way the patagium attaches almost at the base of the arm looks weird and awkward to me. Which is not to say it's wrong, as nature is often weird and awkward, and I cannot claim any real biomechanical knowledge.  It just seems intuitively like a bad way to build a wing/gliding structure for an animal that size.

Did scansoriopterygid legs really stay in a parasagittal plane like that? If they sprawled out like those of most gliders, the patagium could attach to the thigh. Or if not...maybe to the iliac crest? Hmmm. Looks like I'll be forced to read, and think. Darnit, Yi qi! You're going to give me a headache!

Behold, Yi qi, Bringer of Headaches! Where is your god now?!

I for one am seriously getting bugged by this little guy. When I first saw it, I definitely doubted the authenticity of the fossil. However, the idea of a gliding Scansauriopterygid actually makes sense - I always did think that elongated finger looked weird, but if it was anchored to a membrane, that would explain it (but then look at the aye-aye).

Yi does indeed seem more than a little bottom-heavy in many reconstructions, not just Conway's. In contrast, birds, bats and Pterosaurs are all pretty short in the body, and gliders have the patagium extending to their legs, as has been pointed out. So in my thinking either the membrane must have extended further, OR (big or), the wings weren't bat-like at all, as described in the Tet Zoo article kindly linked below by suspsy. I actually really like Naish's theory there. It seems very probable to me, especially considering that, after all, gliding mammals' patagia are covered by fur. It could have had some kind of flight feathers too.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Libraraptor

I am referring to the dragon-discussion. It´s strange that some of the creatures resemble some movie monsters, right? Does this occur  accidently?
It´s likely that many fossils have been found in ancient times and inspired this dragon myth. The first nomads and settlers in these landscapes probably found lots of fossils while not having the scientific explanation for this. After dragons had been "invented", they influenced popular culture and continued their evolution as icons.
Today we find some weird species AGAIN -  which somehow feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy, but can well be understood with the background of this icon-evolution.
The other way to explain all the bizarre finds of the last ten or so years is:
We actually do need more and more extreme dinosaurs, for otherwise they begin to bore people. But a highly flourishing branch of economy has developed after dinosaur renaissance 40 or so years ago.
Because lots of money can be earned with dinoaur movies, documentations, books and stuff, more and more extreme raw material is needed.
This means some recent finds could be fakes and need careful and neutral investigation.
Or, a third idea of mine is, that due to the lots of money flooding dinosaur science more expeditions even to landscapes far away or into layers deeply beyond become possible which leads to more finds. Law of statistics says that the more finds you make the more strange finds may be among them.

Newt

Keep in mind that the "classic" western dragon we all imagine is a modern invention, influenced by knowledge of dinosaurs and other extinct beasts. Medieval depictions look considerably different, and are often more chimaerical, with aspects of dogs, birds, and so on as well as reptilian and bat characteristics.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Newt on May 08, 2015, 07:08:54 PM
Keep in mind that the "classic" western dragon we all imagine is a modern invention, influenced by knowledge of dinosaurs and other extinct beasts. Medieval depictions look considerably different, and are often more chimaerical, with aspects of dogs, birds, and so on as well as reptilian and bat characteristics.

Indeed, here are some more examples:
http://strecno.deviantart.com/art/Historical-Dragon-Sketches-335294922

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Tyto_Theropod

Right, that's me not sleeping tonight.  :o

Shadowknight1

I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Takama

Quote from: sauroid on May 09, 2015, 05:50:19 PM
Luis Rey's version of Yi qi

That looks Bizarre. and Scary looking. Yet it looks like a normal animal that would be afraid of me more the i would be of it.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Ouch! Luis Rey's version is painful to look at. It looks like a taxidermist stuffed a muppet. I much prefer Conway's and Willoughby's versions.

CityRaptor

For some reason that makes me think of a moth. Guess because the feathers of the tail kinda look like antenna of a male moth in that position.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 14, 2015, 10:31:58 PM
For some reason that makes me think of a moth. Guess because the feathers of the tail kinda look like antenna of a male moth in that position.

Also, the cute beady black eyes.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.