You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is this for real? A bat winged Dinosaur!!!

Started by Alex-DinoFood, April 29, 2015, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Very interesting for sure. There are a lot of poorly known dinosaur groups out there I imagine we'll be seeing more of in the coming years. However I'm curious as to the fossil's origins - will this prove to be the next Archaeoraptor?

Patrx

CityRaptor

If this is for real, mammals just lost another piece of originality. It also means that "World of Kong: A Natural History of Skull Island" kinda predicted it with the Vultursaurus:
http://z3.ifrm.com/93/186/0/p259483/Speculative_Evolution___Vulturesaur.jpg
One could also compare it with a Wyvern.

Truely an unusual creature if real.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

I asked Thomas Holtz and he said this is real

suspsy

So which company will be the first to make a toy of Yi?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

Probably the last thing I expected, interesting that it has feathers but not conventional wings. Is the genus name yi, pronounced like 'yee'?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Patrx

Here's a slightly more in-depth article, with a video and an audio interview with Dr. Xu: http://www.nature.com/news/bat-winged-dinosaur-discovery-poses-flight-puzzle-1.17434
According to the pronunciation used during the interview, Yi sounds like "yee", while the specific epithet qi sounds, more or less, like "chee".

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on April 29, 2015, 10:11:23 PM

If we were placing bets? CollectA. Anthony Beeson seems to love the new and unusual as challenges. Fortunately, it means it will also be a decent replica.

Concavenator

Quote from: SBell on April 29, 2015, 10:54:11 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 29, 2015, 10:11:23 PM

If we were placing bets? CollectA. Anthony Beeson seems to love the new and unusual as challenges. Fortunately, it means it will also be a decent replica.
You have read my mind.And I'll send a request to CollectA for making the insane Yi qi.What a fascinating being.

Gwangi

Dinosaurs really did it all. How much weirder can they get? I don't even know any more.

Concavenator

The announcement of this extremely bizarre creature has left a big hope of CollectA inmortalising it in toy form.If you'd like CollectA to make it,drom them an email or leave a publication about it on their Facebook page.I hope this turns out true.I'll do my best to convince them. :)

Yutyrannus

Wow, what an odd creature. I found out about it when a drawing of it showed up I my messages on deviantart, but at first I seriously thought it was some sort of a joke :)).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

spinosaurus1

just when i wanted a brake from drawing and pick up on my tyrannosaurus sculpture, this thing pops up. well, back to my sketch book

Patrx

Here are some alternate reconstructions for the forelimbs, as provided in the paper - figures A, B, and C:

Takama

Whose to say that this is not actually a pterosaur

DinoLord

Quote from: Takama on April 29, 2015, 11:39:21 PM
Whose to say that this is not actually a pterosaur

Pterosaurs have a very distinct wrist anatomy, and this new discovery does not fit with that. The arm bones look relatively standard for a small theropod, with the exception of the extra bone supporting the membrane.

Takama

Well i am still Skeptical about all of this.   This is just too weird for me to digest. i mean, its like a Movie Monster, only real.   BTW does anyone know how big this was in inches,meters or feet?

DinoLord

I recall one of the articles I read said it was roughly the same size as a magpie.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: