News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What were your firsts?

Started by Takama, March 19, 2012, 01:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota Jones

Call me old school on this one.  My first dino "toys" were a pair of electronic dinosaurs (Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops) my parents bought me and my brother (I think they were from Sears) that ran off batteries.  That was around 1970-1971 or so.  They're LONG gone...

My first dinosaur "figures" were the yellow, red, and green Tim Mee's probably in 1972-1973 or so.  I still have them.

Then I got 13 of the 24 MPC figures (which I also still have) from a K-Mart in 1975.  A Marx Prehistoric Mountain and the great Marx figures soon followed Christmas of 1976.  Thanks to eBay, as an adult as I have a lot more of the MPC and Marx figures, more than I can shake a stick at.

Sometime around 1980 or so I picked up 8 of the Invicta figures from the Science Museum of Minnesota.  Got the T. rex, the Triceratops, Diplodocus, Megalosaurus, Glyptodon, Stegosaurus, Scelidosaurus, and the Woolly Mammoth.  Sometime between then and now that Stegosaurus went walkabout.  Today I have all the figures thanks to eBay (sans the painted versions).

Got all the original Safari Carnegie Collection figures (except the Smilodon and the two Australopithecus figures) back in 1989 when they first appeared.  I've gotten all the new figures since (some at the time, some more recent on eBay) and finally got an original Smilodon and even a Carnagie Mountain as well.  Just won an eBay auction for the two Australopithecus figures as well to finally complete that collection.

Also picked up all the Battat Museum of Boston figures back in the middle to late 1990s.  I don't have the mini's or all variations, just one of each animal but I do have two different versions of the Dilophosaurus.

And now today I still collect the Safari dinos, the Carnegie Collection, Papo, Collecta, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

sauroid

these were my first "dino" toys (MPC). my dad gave them to me when i was around 4-6 years old. he originally owned them. i then got bigger and more modern figures as i grew older/bigger.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Gwangi

Quote from: Juan Andrés on July 12, 2013, 12:51:27 PM
Hi  :),
There's a long time since the last post for this topic,so I have put it newly.Here are my firsts:

Deluxe range:
Carcharodontosaurus (announced today for 2014).
Deinocheirus.

One of your first figures was announced today and won't be released for close to a year?  :o

Everything_Dinosaur

The Collecta Carcharodontosaurus image has been released today, more will follow in the near future.   We support Collecta's approach as they want to let collectors know what is coming and I think it is a good idea that they release such information to the likes of ourselves to disseminate it using the proper channels. I believe, readers of this forum have been some of the first to see the image and to hear about this model.  However, there is a lot of tooling up to do, pre-production work etc.  This replica will not go into production until the New Year and then it has to be painted (takes a while to paint a quantity of models), get shipped around the world from the factory, these things take time.  The alternative is for the likes of Collecta not to distribute any information until the models are ready for release to distributors, personally, we feel the more inclusive approach from Collecta is the better way, but others may disagree.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on July 12, 2013, 06:09:41 PM
There's a long time since the last post for this topic,so I have put it newly.Here are my firsts:

Deluxe range:
Deinocheirus.

One of your first figures was announced today and won't be released for close to a year?  :o

hehe, yes, I think there's a little confusion. This thread is to discuss 'firsts', i.e. the first dinosaur toys you ever had.

Everything_Dinosaur

What fantastic memories everyone has got, can't recall my first but I do remember keeping a list of the Aurora Prehistoric Scenes in order of date acquired - my first Aurora kit was the Pteranodon, second Jungle swamp, third was the Styracosaurus after those three I was hooked!

Jetoar

My first figure are Tyco Dinoriders Monoclonius and Invicta Plesiosaurus. After of this other Dinoriders figures and Invicta figures arrived to my life as Deinonychus and Megalosurus and two years after, Tyco Dinoriders, Torosaurus, T-rex, Stegosaurus and other figures of this brand. In 1993 Jurassic Park arrive to my life and my parents bought to me my the firts figure that is the Brown Velociraptor. Other figures of Kenner arrived later than this as Dilophosaurus and Pteranodon and for my birthday my parents bought to me the Young T-Rex. In 1996, kener Lost World figures arrive to my life. My parents gift to me the Giant Pteranodon an Trasher T-Rex and other figures arrive to my collection in the next years. In 1998 I bought in a store a unpainted figures of Wild Safari T-Rex, Triceratops and  Utahraptor and it was my first contac with Safari.  In 2000 I discovered Schleich and my mother bought to me the Quetzalcoatlus. They are the figures of my childhood  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

I found them, my first toy dinosaurs. They were by AAA in the 1970s. I must have been 3 or so when I got them but I remember wanting toy dinosaurs really badly and being super excited when I received these. I recall having the Triceratops which is not in this picture.

Also from my childhood...
I remember getting some of those PlaySkool Definitely Dinosaurs including the Apatosaurus and Parasaurolophus.
The first Tyco I ever got was the Deinonychus but I also recall the Stegosaurus, Pteranodon, Edmontonia, Protoceratops and Tyrannosaurus.
The first JP was the water pistol Dilophosaurus. I never did get a lot of JP because for some reason though I was only nine my mom thought I had too many dinosaur toys (look at me now mom!) but I also had the screaming Dilophosaurus and Velociraptor (the non-screaming one) as well as a few of those Dakin toys.
My first and only Invicta was the Tyrannosaurus.
My first Carnegie was the Brachiosaurus, Protoceratops nest and Deinonychus trio but I eventually got the Tyrannosaurus and fell right in love with it.
I also had a lot those Invicta rip-offs by Laramie as well as the usual Imperials and such.

So now that you all know my life story. Funny, when I browse eBay I manage to find toys I completely forgot I ever had. It's kind of a mind job.

Takama

I have an Update to my Firsts

Geoworld: Troodon

Mojo: Mammoth

Concavenator

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 12, 2013, 08:49:09 PM

Deluxe range:
Deinocheirus.

hehe, yes, I think there's a little confusion. This thread is to discuss 'firsts', i.e. the first dinosaur toys you ever had.

Oh,I'm sorry.Indeed it's a confusion.I thought this thread was for telling people what are your favorite figures for each brand.Sorry.

Gwangi

Quote from: Juan Andrés on July 15, 2013, 09:24:08 AM

Deluxe range:
Deinocheirus.

Oh,I'm sorry.Indeed it's a confusion.I thought this thread was for telling people what are your favorite figures for each brand.Sorry.

No worries. I thought maybe you were just REALLY excited for that Carcharodontosaurus.

Concavenator

Quote from: Gwangi on July 15, 2013, 10:10:44 AM
Quote from: Juan Andrés on July 15, 2013, 09:24:08 AM

Deluxe range:
Deinocheirus.

No worries. I thought maybe you were just REALLY excited for that Carcharodontosaurus.
Certainly this :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.