News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sauropod toys

Started by Saurian Sam, July 23, 2013, 10:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurian Sam

Hi all, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good, as well as different, sauropods for my collection. There seems to be a lot of therapods available, which is fine, but I really like my thunder lizards! I have the Safari apatosaurus, diplodocus and camarasaurus, and the older Safari saltasaurus, brachiosaurus and rearing apatosaurus. Oh, and my wonderfully inaccurate Mold -A-Rama "brontosaurus" from the Field Museum!
Thanks!

amargasaurus cazaui

There are a few members that have nice sauropod collections on existing threads you could view. My own are on the team sauropod thread. My own collection has a few pieces that you did not mention. The sauropods in the Invicta set are to my eyes a great addition to any collection. You also did not mention the Carnegie Amargasaurus, the desktop Favorite Brachiosaurus and Amargasaurus, nor any of the small Kaiyodo figures. I think my favorite sauropod that I have is the Brachiosaurus resin model I have built and painted by Bob Morales.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

I love sauropod models too. Among the ones you probably need to get but did not mention are the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus and Amargasaurus, the Papo Brachiosaurus (though it is inaccurate), the Safari Nigersaurus, the CollectA Jobaria and a personal favorite but hard to find model, the Bullyland Apatosaurus. All the Invicta sauropods are inaccurate to some degree but well made and must haves.

joossa

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2013, 03:22:17 AM
the Safari Nigersaurus
I have this one and it's beautiful. Come to think of it, I need more Sauropods too!  ;)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Saurian Sam on July 23, 2013, 10:17:12 PM
Hi all, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good, as well as different, sauropods for my collection. There seems to be a lot of therapods available, which is fine, but I really like my thunder lizards! I have the Safari apatosaurus, diplodocus and camarasaurus, and the older Safari saltasaurus, brachiosaurus and rearing apatosaurus. Oh, and my wonderfully inaccurate Mold -A-Rama "brontosaurus" from the Field Museum!
Thanks!
Hi,Saurian Sam,and welcome to the DTF! ^-^
If you're looking forward to sauropod toys,I'd recommend you the Carnegie Diplodocus and the CollectA Diplodocus.Also,the CollectA deluxe Amargasaurus.

amargasaurus cazaui

ah yes Gwangi thanks for mentioning the Invictas are not accurate, forgot that when I suggested them. Still some pretty dinosaurs though. I did mean to ask as I noticed that you recommend the Jobaria figure.....I had thought I read a thread a year ago or so discussing the issues with that model.It seemed to me the discussion revolved around how small the chest and ribs were compared  to their proper size. I had never acquired one due to that issue...is your opinion that the figure is still worthwhile?I may need to reconsider my decision.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 24, 2013, 08:54:01 AM
ah yes Gwangi thanks for mentioning the Invictas are not accurate, forgot that when I suggested them. Still some pretty dinosaurs though. I did mean to ask as I noticed that you recommend the Jobaria figure.....I had thought I read a thread a year ago or so discussing the issues with that model.It seemed to me the discussion revolved around how small the chest and ribs were compared  to their proper size. I had never acquired one due to that issue...is your opinion that the figure is still worthwhile?I may need to reconsider my decision.

I personally love the Collecta Jobaria but the sunken in chest cavity and large gut is certainly unappealing. For me however that one negative aspect was outweighed by the positives. I find most toys are inaccurate in at least one regard and if the chest cavity is what is wrong on this particular figure than I feel fine overlooking it. Aside from that is is a beautiful piece representing an obscure sauropod. What is not to love? If you need further convincing I suggest Dan's review for the model which is ultimately what convinced me that I wanted it.

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2010/08/14/jobaria-deluxeprocon-collecta/

tyrantqueen

I'm hoping for a generously sized, reasonably accurate Apatosaurus model to be released by Carnegie or another company one day. I liked Safari's Apatosaurus, but it's a little on the small side and the tail is odd. From what I understand, Apatosaurus isn't hugely different in size to Diplodocus. Yet so many models have it small sized. The Sideshow Apato is beautiful of course, but I would never have the space or money to afford it.

I've always liked Apatosaurus a bit more than Dippy, maybe it's the history behind it. I'll always have fondness for the brontosaur ;)

I hope that Carnegie could do a big Apatosaurus just like their massive Diplodocus model.

...Also, Firefox spell checker keeps trying to correct Apatosaurus to Brontosaurus. Stupid ::)

amargasaurus cazaui

Carnegie has done a large Apatosaurus, although not recently. While the model is not as accurate as it could be, it does have size to compare with their other sauropods. The infant apatosaurus  is actually  a nice  touch, as well.

juju1305

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2013, 03:22:17 AM
I love sauropod models too. Among the ones you probably need to get but did not mention are the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus and Amargasaurus, the Papo Brachiosaurus (though it is inaccurate), the Safari Nigersaurus, the CollectA Jobaria and a personal favorite but hard to find model, the Bullyland Apatosaurus. All the Invicta sauropods are inaccurate to some degree but well made and must haves.

you're so spot on. These are some of the nicest sauropod figures out there. The Bully apato is a gem. I love it. And the same goes for the Safari Nigersaurus. It's such a lovely figure. CollectA also produced a quite nice diplodocus last year

Horridus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 24, 2013, 11:54:43 AM
From what I understand, Apatosaurus isn't hugely different in size to Diplodocus.
Not in terms of length, but in terms of bulk it's much, much more massive (with an insanely wide neck). So you're right, it's weird that Apatosaurus figures are often 'Diplodocus, but with a shorter tail'.

Gwangi already mentioned the Carnegie Amargasaurus. That one's one of my favourites, and something a bit different to the usual trio.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Saurian Sam

Thanks so much for all the replies. I definitely have my eye on the Carnegie and CollectA sauropods. The only Papo figures I have are theropods. They're gorgeous, but not always accurate. That's always a difficult balancing act with dino figures anyway. Their Brachiosaurus sure looks good in photos. Thanks again!

postsaurischian

I want David Krentz' Antediluvia Apatosaurus (review) as a 1:35 - 1:40 rubber toy figure by Carnegie for their 25th anniversary. I'd kiss their feet and pay a hundred dollars for it ;D :P.

Gwangi

I'm hoping for a generously sized, reasonably accurate Apatosaurus model to be released by Carnegie or another company one day. I liked Safari's Apatosaurus, but it's a little on the small side and the tail is odd. From what I understand, Apatosaurus isn't hugely different in size to Diplodocus. Yet so many models have it small sized. The Sideshow Apato is beautiful of course, but I would never have the space or money to afford it.

I've always liked Apatosaurus a bit more than Dippy, maybe it's the history behind it. I'll always have fondness for the brontosaur ;)

I hope that Carnegie could do a big Apatosaurus just like their massive Diplodocus model.

...Also, Firefox spell checker keeps trying to correct Apatosaurus to Brontosaurus. Stupid ::)

I'm a Camarasaurus fan myself, in part because I like its "Brontosaurus" head. I can't really pick between Diplodocus and Apatosaurus, they rank about the same for me I think.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2013, 11:44:20 PM

I'm a Camarasaurus fan myself, in part because I like its "Brontosaurus" head. I can't really pick between Diplodocus and Apatosaurus, they rank about the same for me I think.
In the book, "All Yesterdays", it was stated that Camarasaurus was considered one of the "ugliest of all sauropods". I've never heard that opinion before, in real life or on the internet :-\ Seems like an odd thing to say. I don't really consider it to be particularly ugly myself.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 25, 2013, 12:59:25 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 24, 2013, 11:44:20 PM

In the book, "All Yesterdays", it was stated that Camarasaurus was considered one of the "ugliest of all sauropods". I've never heard that opinion before, in real life or on the internet :-\ Seems like an odd thing to say. I don't really consider it to be particularly ugly myself.

I suppose it does not have the same grace as a Diplodocus or presence as a Brachiosaurus but I dunno, I like Camarasaurus. It very well could have been ugly but in nature it seems even the ugly have some kind of beauty to them. I think it looks unique, that is probably why I'm drawn to it. Can't say that I've heard that opinion either.

Looks alright to me.

...well maybe it was kinda ugly.

Takama

If your looking for a good Sauropod toy, here is ones i recomend.

CollectA Deluxe Amargasaurus

CollectA Deluxe Jobaria

Ill post more later

Concavenator

I highly recommend you the CollectA Diplodocus.It's a wonderful figure,I was impressed the first time I saw it.It's really beautiful and...ah it's the biggest dinosaur in the CollectA standard size range.The only problem I can see in the figure is the too slender neck,but,this isn't necessarily a problem.If you put it on a side view it will look awesome.It's a rearing Diplodocus,something unusual(Battat also did one,but in my opinion the CollectA one is better,just my personal preference).If you wanna see the review,then look at this:

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2013/04/25/diplodocus-collecta/
I also recommend the collectA deluxe Amargasaurus and Papo Brachiosaurus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.