News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juju1305

Quote from: Concavenator on December 18, 2013, 08:52:04 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 18, 2013, 08:11:22 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 18, 2013, 08:08:58 PM
The Wild Safari Gryposaurus is the best figure of 2013,according to Prehistoric Times magazine.
I'm afraid I disagree....it should have been the Papo Dimetrodon.
Exactly  :-\
It's odd Papo's Dimetrodon did not win.

I fully agree. I think the Papo dimetrodon is by far the best figure of 2013.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: juju1305 on December 18, 2013, 11:46:40 PM
The Wild Safari Gryposaurus is the best figure of 2013,according to Prehistoric Times magazine.

We should have our own DTF poll to decide the best figure of 2013! Anybody want to start a poll thread? ;)

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 18, 2013, 09:42:16 PM
Maybe accurateness plays a part. Wasn't there something wrong about the number of digits on the Dimetrodon?

Most people don't notice things like that. It probably had more to do with how common the different companies are--overall, Safari is still, supposedly, more likely to be in stores than Papo.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It goes by mass market so you probably wouldn't see rarer pieces or newer ones there...my vote would go to the WWD Ult. Gorgon figure for best dinosaur.

There are categories though..best dinosaur and best prehistoric animal. Papo's Dimetrodon could have won that.

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 19, 2013, 01:00:38 AM
Quote from: juju1305 on December 18, 2013, 11:46:40 PM

We should have our own DTF poll to decide the best figure of 2013! Anybody want to start a poll thread? ;)

I just Made one here.

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1901.msg48774.html#new

Zhuchengotyrant

I didn't like Safari releases that much. This year.... ::)
-Zhuchengotyrant

Tyrannax

It looks as though Mojo chose not to clean up their texturing, making the toolwork obvious. I like it.

Member since 2008

Arul

Sorry i throw this thread back to the recent topic column, i just want to share this link hope it useful. From ED, i think its valid enough  :)

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2013/02/12/papo-woolly-rhino-model-reviewed.html

Sigmasaurus

The only ones I have from here are The Schleich Carno and the Papo Carno.

Halichoeres

This was the last time Safari released a new prehistoric-themed Toob. Really wondering if they ever will again.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Can't believe it has been that long since they last did one. I really hope they return to doing some more in the future. They were full of hidden gems that never got figures before (and particularly many Paleozoic and Triassic), and in many cases, haven't had anything new since. I am really quite glad to have most of them now (Cambrian Life, Prehistoric Sharks, Prehistoric Crocodiles, and Prehistoric Sea Life), at least the ones with the hidden gems in them anyways.

It is also quite sad at the short shelf life these all ultimately had, before being retired when compared to their really old (and outdated) dinosaur toobs, such as this one: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/toobs/products/toobs-dinos-figurines-695404
or this one: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/toobs/products/toobs-carnivorous-dinos-figurines-699004
or this one too: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/toobs/products/toobs-dino-babies-figurines-680104
and also this one too: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/toobs/products/toobs-sue-her-friends-figurines-681304

I can only guess that these did not sell well unfortunately (I know the Cambrian Life Toob was discounted for years for example). Perhaps that might be making them a bit hesitant to do anymore. And if this year's rather limited and theropod heavy selection is anything to go by (more then likely caused by the pandemic situation), I don't think I'll be getting my hopes up that they will be taking risks in doing any new ones any time soon. Kind of a shame really as there is so much potential that could be done. I particularly long for a "Prehistoric Amphibians" one, featuring stem-tetrapods, temnospondyls, etc, or Paleozoic one. The best I can do for now is Kaiyodo's beautiful figures, thankfully, unless perhaps CollectA would be so bold to do it (or I'm really hoping that marine tube from them isn't just a one off).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Yeah, given the longevity of their older, uglier Toob dinos, and the short life of their interesting ones, it's hard not to conclude that the Cambrian Life, Prehistoric Sharks, Prehistoric Crocodiles, etc., just didn't make them much money. Really a bummer. The only good one that's held its own is the Feathered Dinosaurs set, which has lasted more than a decade.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gwangi

I feel like the day will come when we'll get another prehistoric toob, but I wouldn't bank on it being devoted to anything too obscure. What would potentially work out is if they dedicated a toob to a particular time period, location, or taxonomic group and were then able to sneak some obscure critters in with the better known ones. I doubt an amphibian toob would sell well but a toob that contains a prehistoric amphibian alongside more popular animals might come along, eventually. That seems to be what they're doing with the extant animal toobs. Like the Great Lakes toob has mostly well known animals but also includes a Lake Erie water snake. Or the new South America toob containing an arapaima.

Halichoeres

Yeah, I'd be very surprised to see a taxon-specific one at this point, but maybe something more like CollectA's with miniature versions of their recent full-size models. Of course, there'd be very little in such a product to interest me personally, but what interests me is clearly not what they sell the most of. At this point, I'd take a Toob with just one figure I like over zero Toobs that hypothetically have 8 or 10 figures I like (like a prehistoric amphibian Toob might).

I think a lot of collectors want an amphibian set especially because of the ludicrously difficult to find Play Visions set, but if you're wondering how profitable that would be, it's worth remembering that Play Visions no longer makes animal toys at all.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.