News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 25, 2013, 07:41:48 AM
Do the Utahraptor have feather?  I also don't think it look as cool as the Velociraptor but I might be wrong.

Indeed it did! As with most dinosaurs, Utahraptor remains are sparse, so direct fossil evidence hasn't emerged - but phylogenetic evidence supports the idea that the genus was very feathery. That's to say, its relatives, specifically its precursors, are known to have been feathery, so it almost certainly was as well. Once feathers (or any integumentary structure) develop in a lineage, they don't really disappear. At least, that's how I understand it; perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself could explain it more accurately. We can even say with some certainty that Utahraptor's forelimbs bore asymmetrical feathers in a similar arrangement to a modern bird's wing.

I agree with you on certain points, there; but I assert that while there's nothing wrong with preferring a fictional view of dinosaurs to the reality that's slowly being uncovered, learning more about the real deal can only be a good thing :)

Concavenator

amanda

I think, one velociraptor is not too scary. True, getting bit or slashed would be no fun, and dangerous. What is scary about them is the thought they may have hunted in packs. So one raptor, meh-ish. A half dozen raptors...eek.

Dimetrodon, despite not being a dino is still a cool animal, and a staple in any collection.

No one is claiming ceratopsians sauropods etc gave rise to birds. That connection ( I think) is more associated with the theropods, and "raptor" specifically?

This may be a good place to ask a question that has been bothering me. Is there ANY evidence to even vaguely suggest ceratopsians were feathered? I don't mean the so-called "quills". I mean an entire body covering? I saw a piece of art last week of a trike that was entirely covered in feathers, orange in color. Looked more like hair. All except the scaly head. It...offended me. I understand our perceptions must keep evolving, and if there is actually evidence for this, so be it. That said, all these fluffy Rexes is sorta...disturbing. :)

Patrx

Quote from: amanda on September 02, 2013, 06:32:28 AM
I think, one velociraptor is not too scary. True, getting bit or slashed would be no fun, and dangerous. What is scary about them is the thought they may have hunted in packs. So one raptor, meh-ish. A half dozen raptors...eek.

Regarding Velociraptor I don't like dinosaurs because they frighten me, I like them because they fascinate me. Of course, different people like the same things for different reasons (as well they are welcome to),  but I do think it's important to respect even those animals that couldn't harm you :)

No one is claiming ceratopsians sauropods etc gave rise to birds. That connection ( I think) is more associated with the theropods, and "raptor" specifically?

That's basically it, yes. Birds are a group of theropods closely related to the dromaeosaurs, or "raptors". Though, since there's some blurriness with regard to what a "bird" is (it's not an especially technical term), some researchers consider dromaeosaurs and their relatives to be birds themselves. Ceratopsians and sauropods are dinosaurs too, but it's a big group. A cat and a whale are both mammals, for example - it doesn't mean that they're extremely similar, only that they're related.

This may be a good place to ask a question that has been bothering me. Is there ANY evidence to even vaguely suggest ceratopsians were feathered? I don't mean the so-called "quills". I mean an entire body covering? I saw a piece of art last week of a trike that was entirely covered in feathers, orange in color. Looked more like hair. All except the scaly head. It...offended me. I understand our perceptions must keep evolving, and if there is actually evidence for this, so be it. That said, all these fluffy Rexes is sorta...disturbing. :)

As far as I know, not really. As you probably know, some related animals have been discovered with quills on their bodies, like Psittacosaurus. Specifically, the imprints were from the tail, but the quills could've been in all kinds of arrangements. There's also been some imprints of skin from Triceratops showing what some interpret as attachment points for quills or similar. As far as an all-over body covering, though, that's not outside the realm of possibility, but it's not something backed by direct fossil evidence either. Going back to my earlier example regarding related animals, even whales can have hair, just like cats.
Tyrannosaurus, though, is close enough to the lineage of birds that it probably did have feathers.

sauroid

when does a proper thread for 2014 figures start?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 25, 2013, 07:48:14 AM
QuoteDo the Utahraptor have feather?  I also don't think it look as cool as the Velociraptor but I might be wrong. 
There have not been any remains found with preserved feathers (as far as I know, but I could be wrong...), but it is strongly believed that they did have feathers.

If you don't think they look cool, you should see this ;D

Amazing picture! What website did you find it on? I can never find one that is that high definition.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

QuoteAmazing picture! What website did you find it on? I can never find one that is that high definition.
David Krentz has a thread on this site here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?162672-Dinosaurs-of-Dinosaur-Revolution There is also more stuff here http://www.kriskelly3d.com/DR-breakdown/dinosaurrevolution.html

This particular Utahraptor a found here https://plus.google.com/photos/102057744428816776371/albums/5896123913041552961?sqi=108306421062011780202&sqsi=b4d88011-cfbd-49ad-9013-5b4c6ac136e9. I just rehosted it on my Dinobucket because I liked the design so much.

Hope this helps.

Concavenator

When are the new Mojo mammals being in stock?

SBell

Quote from: Juan Andrés on September 06, 2013, 11:24:01 AM
When are the new Mojo mammals being in stock?

Last I heard mid-Fall

joossa

Anyone in the US know of any US-based suppliers/retailers that already have the Papo Dimetrodon?
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Hynerpeton

I have not been here and the old dead forum in ages and LOVE the new stuff. I may have to ask for Xmas,
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Ikessauro

Now that Papo Dimetrodon is out, let's focus on Möjo mammals here, shall we? Any word on those?

Hermes888

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 23, 2013, 02:45:48 PM
Now that Papo Dimetrodon is out, let's focus on Möjo mammals here, shall we? Any word on those?
Is anyone selling the Papo Dimetrodon in the USA?

Blade-of-the-Moon

SBell

Yes. But you aren't going to like it.

My understanding from my rep is that much of the 2013 line just went into production--so that's at least 4 weeks. Plus ship times, etc, and maybe in time for November?

He figures they should have just called it their 2014 releases.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on September 27, 2013, 02:00:24 PM

Yes. But you aren't going to like it....

For a second there, I thought you were going to say that the new Mojo prehistoric mammals do not look like the pre-production pictures. You almost gave me a heart attack  ;) :P

SBell

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 29, 2013, 06:27:17 AM
Quote from: SBell on September 27, 2013, 02:00:24 PM

Yes. But you aren't going to like it....

For a second there, I thought you were going to say that the new Mojo prehistoric mammals do not look like the pre-production pictures. You almost gave me a heart attack  ;) :P

Then my news is not the worst it could have been! Bright side! 8)

stoneage

Quote from: Seijun on December 02, 2012, 12:33:20 AM
Well, I like the mojo brontotherium more than the collecta one, but I am still a little dissapointed. The gait is incorrect unless the animal is trying to tap dance. Why do companies keep positioning the legs of their quadrupeds like this? Animals dont walk/run that way! Mainly, however, the shoulder area needs to be much taller, like on a bison. I think this is one of brontotheriums most distinguishing features. The body of the mojo bronto is also a little too elongated IMO.

Here is an animation I did of some proposed improvements:

If mojo is reading this, and if they have time, I think their bronto would look a lot better if the shoulder area was made taller :)

Maybe companies position the legs of their quadrupeds that way because that's the way the skeletons in museums do it.  Like in the picture you provided.

Concavenator

Just a question:do the final products look like the prototype photos?
What are the bad news??  ???

SBell

Quote from: Concavenator on October 07, 2013, 06:20:46 PM
Just a question:do the final products look like the prototype photos?
What are the bad news??  ???

We haven't seen them yet--nobody has. So we don't know yet.

The bad news was that the Mojo mammals (and some of the living animals, like the honey badgers) are very delayed. That's all.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: