News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA Prehistoric Animals by Procon

Started by Takama, March 13, 2012, 01:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Came across a Mapusaurus the other day that could actually stand up on its own two feet instead of toppling over due to improper balance and generally being overweight. Didn't buy it, as it's still a disappointing final product compared to what was initially promised.

Takama

I bought two Mapusaurus (Because one caught his tail on fire by a candle) and they both came with warped legs. However, when I subjected them to the hair dryer, the legs reposition them selves correctly, and so they stood without issue.

I still think that CollectA should make bases for all future Theropods

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Takama on February 14, 2014, 11:31:15 PM
I bought two Mapusaurus (Because one caught his tail on fire by a candle) and they both came with warped legs. However, when I subjected them to the hair dryer, the legs reposition them selves correctly, and so they stood without issue.

You could always just add a base, if that was an issue, right?
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 14, 2014, 11:56:26 PM
Quote from: Takama on February 14, 2014, 11:31:15 PM

You could always just add a base, if that was an issue, right?

Bases don't have to be complicated. A simple prop is the easiest thing to do. I piece of wire or a piece from a coat hanger can do it easily.  If you look around outside a bit of wood or a stone can look natural and cool to hold it up.  Now many of the newer figures are coming with clear bases that really help them not fall over as well.

Katieraptor

Does anyone know when the new CollectA figures release? I think there was a Carcharodontosaurus, a Bisthieversor (is that how you say it? I honestly don't know. I believe it is a fuzzy Tyrannosaur though.) a Saurophaganax and an Icthyovenator among others. Was interested in picking up the Saurophaganax and the Carcharodontosaurus, but after the "Stock" photo of the Mapusaurus and the actual final sculpt ended up being really disappointing, I'd kind of like to wait until I can see some real life pictures and/or even a review on here, before I commit.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Katieraptor on March 30, 2014, 11:13:12 PM
Does anyone know when the new CollectA figures release? I think there was a Carcharodontosaurus, a Bisthieversor (is that how you say it? I honestly don't know. I believe it is a fuzzy Tyrannosaur though.) a Saurophaganax and an Icthyovenator among others. Was interested in picking up the Saurophaganax and the Carcharodontosaurus, but after the "Stock" photo of the Mapusaurus and the actual final sculpt ended up being really disappointing, I'd kind of like to wait until I can see some real life pictures and/or even a review on here, before I commit.
The Carcharo was on eBay a while ago, but has since been purchased. I haven't seen the Saurophaganax for sale yet. The Mapusaurus really wasn't all that bad, but if you're concerned about quality, I would say this: such drastic changes to sculpts are rare (I have a feeling that time was a one off and won't be repeated). That Mapusaurus was released at a time when CollectA were still finding their feet as a serious company. They've gotten better since then.

tyrantqueen

Dan now has the new CollectAs in his store, including the ones you were interested in (the Carcharo and the Sauro).

Everything_Dinosaur

Always a pleasure to see pics of the Collecta range, good news there are going to be some very interesting models out next year from our chums in Collecta.  We will get some pics up onto various parts of the Everything Dinosaur social media platforms when we get permission to do so.  Look out for the rest of the 2014 model releases, juvenile T. rex, Saurophaganax, Bitahieversor, Mosasaurus 1:40 Therizinosaurus, Arsinoitherium etc coming into the UK next week, should be up on line at Everything Dinosaur in a few days.

Congratulations on having such an extensive collection.

Concavenator

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 10, 2014, 09:02:28 AM
Always a pleasure to see pics of the Collecta range, good news there are going to be some very interesting models out next year from our chums in Collecta.  We will get some pics up onto various parts of the Everything Dinosaur social media platforms when we get permission to do so.  Look out for the rest of the 2014 model releases, juvenile T. rex, Saurophaganax, Bitahieversor, Mosasaurus 1:40 Therizinosaurus, Arsinoitherium etc coming into the UK next week, should be up on line at Everything Dinosaur in a few days.

Congratulations on having such an extensive collection.
Do you know when the CollectA 2015 collection will starting to be revealed?

Saurian

I like mapusaurus despite the fact that many are not happy  8)
Soory,my English is poor

Everything_Dinosaur

The new Collecta 2014 model series, Saurophaganax, Gastonia, Palm Tree, Arsinoitherium, Juvenile T. rex, Mosasaurus, Bistahieversor, plus the 1:40 Therizinosaurus and the 1:40 Carcharodontosaurus are in stock at Everything Dinosaur.

View them here: Everything Dinosaur

Concavenator

Wondering when will they start announcing?
Hope they bring something unusual

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur's video review of the new for 2014 Collecta Saurophaganax dinosaur model.  In this brief video (6:13) we look at this model in a little more detail, explain in general terms the issue with the Saurophaganax genus (S. maximus v A. maximus) and also highlight, why even after 145 million years, Saurophaganax is still capable of killing you.

Great model of a great dinosaur.

Our video review: Collecta Saurophaganax - Video Review

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur's brief review of the 1:40 scale Collecta Deluxe Carcharodontosaurus dinosaur model is now available on our Youtube channel.  In this short video (7:21), we look at this model in a little more detail and discuss how this genus was named.  In addition, this video relates to an article on the Everything Dinosaur blog site that considers the irony that the evolution and the ultimate demise of the "shark toothed lizards" could be directly related to the sea.

Our video review:Collecta Deluxe Carcharodontosaurus Reviewed

The related blog article: The Rise and Fall of Carcharodontosaurus

Concavenator

Honestly,I'd love to see a Deluxe Allosaurus by CollectA.That would be magnificent.It could even super Papo's.
I'd love it,CollectA,please make it happen <3

Everything_Dinosaur

Our review of the Collecta Mosasaurus model (2014).  In this video we try to give a little more information about the fossils and why this particular replica has a tail fluke.  We mention the pterygoid teeth and try to give a close up of the mouth show that this detail can be seen.  As for the colouration, it may have been discussed before hand but the paint job reminds us of Whale Sharks.  Can anyone else see the similarity?

The video (6.48): Video Review of the Collecta Mosasaurus Model

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur's review of the 1:40 Collecta Deluxe Therizinosaurus dinosaur model.  In this short video (6.50) we try to explain just why this is such a peculiar looking dinosaur and we comment on the integument, the long feathers associated with with forearm, the scaly feet and such like.

We also show the Collecta not to scale Therizinosaurus and discuss the idea behind creating a bigger version of this Therizinosaur.

The video review: Collecta Deluxe Therizinosaurus Reviewed

Sir Arthur Gauge also gets a mention.

Invicta Hunter

It's amazing how much better CollectA figures are these days, they are fast becoming my favourite modern brand.

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur's short review of the Bistahieversor dinosaur model from Collecta is now on Youtube.  In this short video (6:41), we comment briefly on what this dinosaur's discovery did for the understanding of regional diversity in North American dinosaurs, explain a little about the known fossil material and review the model.

Video: Collecta Bistahierversor Model Reviewed

Tallin

As a new comer to the dinosaur collecting hobby, I hadn't actually heard of CollectA before coming to this forum, being mostly impressed by Papo (since you can't get hold of Carnegies in shops in south west England it seems). A local fossil shop to me had a vast collection of CollectA dinos, and since picking up the rearing diplo from them, I've been more interested in the brand.

They seem to be an excellent price for nice little sculpts, particularly on Everythingdinosaur.

Also they seem to be radically better quality in recent years (that gorgeous carcharodontosaurus). Is this due to feedback from collectors or just the need to up their game to compete with other companies? Also, their desire to make their sculpts anatomically correct from recent scientific findings also seemed to have developed quite suddenly...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: