News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on May 18, 2022, 11:04:54 AMWhat's surprising is that some of the older PNSO theropods, like the Giganotosaurus and Yangchuanosaurus had lips, whereas their newest theropods don't. If anything, I would expect the natural transition to be: no lips  -> lips (as Safari have done) instead of the other way around.
Very true. What's even more odd was that their Giganotosaurus had lips, which this model was made after their Museum Line Wilson, which did not have lips. Then PNSO reverts back to no lips.

Medzo

Quote from: SRF on May 18, 2022, 06:18:25 AMPNSO's reasoning for not including lips was much more in depth than just "teeth are too big". If the claim they've made "drives you mad", then maybe you should first listen to their arguments properly before calling them obnoxious, which another unnecessary negative use of words if you ask me.

Maybe this was linked a thousand times already but I'm lost. Is there any translated blogpost abour PNSO's current standing on the issue?

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 18, 2022, 01:52:06 AM
Quote from: SRF on May 17, 2022, 08:05:30 PMavatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I don't think that there is conclusive evidence on theropods having lips. I do agree that the evidence on theropods having lips is much more convincing compared to the hypothesis that they didn't. Still, PNSO chooses to go with the hypothesis that theropods didn't have lips and they are free to do so. They're even transparant in explaining why, for which I applaud them in doing so.

To me that really makes it unnecessary to emphasize the fact that a figure doesn't have lips with each new. We know that as long as there is no conclusive evidence that theropods have lips, PNSO chooses to make their theropods without them.
If they did it because they thought it looked cool, even if they were trying to be accurate but "take all liberties deemed plausible" to get their desired look, than heck yeah! But that isn't the claim they've made. The claim they've made is that lips are inaccurate "because the teeth are so big" which is an obnoxious and incorrect assertion that drives me mad.

They aren't taking liberties to get their desired look, they're actively misrepresenting the science, and I'm going to continue actively holding that against them in-turn.
I'm sorry, but, really? Are you seriously talking about misrepresentation while misrepresenting the reason(s) for why they choose to go lipless? They have listed quite a few reasons for this, including, if I remember correctly, the integument of the face. And quite a few reasons other than "teeth too big."

Do I agree with this? No. In fact, i'm all in on team lips. And I feel the evidence points easily to them having lips. But come on, "obnoxious?" This just all feels needlessly negative.

Bread

Quote from: Medzo on May 18, 2022, 12:23:08 PM
Quote from: SRF on May 18, 2022, 06:18:25 AMPNSO's reasoning for not including lips was much more in depth than just "teeth are too big". If the claim they've made "drives you mad", then maybe you should first listen to their arguments properly before calling them obnoxious, which another unnecessary negative use of words if you ask me.

Maybe this was linked a thousand times already but I'm lost. Is there any translated blogpost abour PNSO's current standing on the issue?
https://youtu.be/suL4beD0as8
This video explains the idea behind Wilson's reconstruction, but it does mention PNSO's opinion on lips.

Correct me if I am wrong, but PNSO have also done this with a few of their figures. Clips, videos, etc. posted on social media about lips not be present in dinosaurs. I don't find their argument behind it is obnoxious though.

SRF

My best source for PNSO's opinion of lips is actually DinosDragons review of Wilson. Since he is Chinese, he took the time and effort to discuss Zhao Chuangs video on Wilson in his review. Two minutes into his review he adresses the lack of lips and why PNSO has chosen to do so. His explanation takes about a minute of your time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnssKFew5x0

Of course this reasoning applies not only to Wilson, but to all PNSO theropods. I don't agree either with PNSO on this topic, but at least they explain why they make some choices in their reconstructions. I see no need to disregard them for that just because I'm in the other camp.
But today, I'm just being father

stargatedalek

Quote from: SRF on May 18, 2022, 06:18:25 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 18, 2022, 01:52:06 AM
Quote from: SRF on May 17, 2022, 08:05:30 PMavatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I don't think that there is conclusive evidence on theropods having lips. I do agree that the evidence on theropods having lips is much more convincing compared to the hypothesis that they didn't. Still, PNSO chooses to go with the hypothesis that theropods didn't have lips and they are free to do so. They're even transparant in explaining why, for which I applaud them in doing so.

To me that really makes it unnecessary to emphasize the fact that a figure doesn't have lips with each new. We know that as long as there is no conclusive evidence that theropods have lips, PNSO chooses to make their theropods without them.
If they did it because they thought it looked cool, even if they were trying to be accurate but "take all liberties deemed plausible" to get their desired look, than heck yeah! But that isn't the claim they've made. The claim they've made is that lips are inaccurate "because the teeth are so big" which is an obnoxious and incorrect assertion that drives me mad.

They aren't taking liberties to get their desired look, they're actively misrepresenting the science, and I'm going to continue actively holding that against them in-turn.

PNSO's reasoning for not including lips was much more in depth than just "teeth are too big". If the claim they've made "drives you mad", then maybe you should first listen to their arguments properly before calling them obnoxious, which another unnecessary negative use of words if you ask me.
I saw all of the videos back when Wilson first released. I wasn't going to bother rehashing everything they stated, and the primary reason they indicated was indeed that they felt the teeth were too big, and would have clipped far into the lower jaw.

I stand by my language regarding their reasoning. It's based on the fundamental misunderstanding of closing theropod jaws to the point they overlap, when animals don't do this in life.

Also, all of the other reasons were specific to Tyrannosaurs, the only part of that relevant to Acrocanthosaurus is their claim about teeth being too large to not overlap with the lower jaw.

SRF

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I've rewatched the two parts about the lipless reconstruction in Zhao Chuangs video on Wilson and the translation DinosDragons gives us in his review, but in both videos it is not mentioned that the "teeth are too big" for T. Rex to have lips. If you have other sources in which PNSO claims that "the teeth are too big" is the most important reason for a lipless reconstruction, I would of course like to know more about that. Otherwise I would advise you to at least rewatch the part of DinosDragons review in which he discusses Zhao Chuangs arguments to not include lips in his reconstruction.

There was another discussion about Wilsons teeth being too big because tooth slippage wasn't accounted for, which is indeed a flaw on that figure. But that had nothing to do with PNSOs reasons to reconstruct their theropods without lips.

Concavenator

What do you think will happen after the Sinraptor? These PNSO releases we're seeing now (except the Zhuchengtyrannus) come from this list, as many of you already know:

Quote from: Faras on December 01, 2021, 06:17:08 PMRumors came from Chinese dino toy forum moderator, hopefully this time it's more reliable (he did say "feel free to thrash me in the thread if the list is wrong"  ;))

Torosaurus was listed separately after Triceratops, probably means both will be released.

Triceratops
Centrosaurus
Styracosaurus
Acrocanthosaurus
Sinraptor
Iguanodon
Torosaurus
Tsintaosaurus
*All brand new molds, skin textures are on same level as Parasaurolophus.

Link: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/7633846377

Do you think there will be more releases from them this year?

Medzo

Quote from: Concavenator on May 20, 2022, 12:40:33 AMDo you think there will be more releases from them this year?

I very much think so. People are getting hooked on their releases more and more. I wish they'd start a 1:40-1:35 sauropod series.  ::)

RobinGoodfellow

On Aliexpress (PNSO Official Store), from today (May 23) to May 27, the new Acrocanthosaurus is on sale (as a "premiere")  at a discounted price of USD 34.39.
For EU buyers import taxes need to be added (for my Country the final price is 43 Euro tax included  :'(  ).
238 pieces available.

Regards
 :)

Medzo

SRF

I hope we get to see some in hand pictures of the Acrocanthosaurus before the end of the week. I'm still on the fence if I'll purchase this one right away or later.

SenSx

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on May 23, 2022, 08:53:48 AMOn Aliexpress (PNSO Official Store), from today (May 23) to May 27, the new Acrocanthosaurus is on sale (as a "premiere")  at a discounted price of USD 34.39.
For EU buyers import taxes need to be added (for my Country the final price is 43 Euro tax included  :'(  ).
238 pieces available.

Regards

That is tempting, thanks.
I just wish there were some in hands pics before making a choice.

Concavenator

SenSx

Quote from: Concavenator on May 23, 2022, 01:11:12 PMavatar_SenSx @SenSx the first pics are out already:

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7846902843

Oh thanks!

But I don't know, I still find the head too long :(

SRF

I like the coloration of the body and it seems to stand very well. It's weird how the head seems to be painted black, like it's wearing some kind of warpaint.

Something else, has anyone noticed that if you want to order the Acrocanthosaurus on AliExpress, you have to select the right figure first before purchase? Otherwise you end up buying Essien the 2020 Spinosaurus instead.

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on May 23, 2022, 12:24:25 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on May 23, 2022, 08:53:48 AMOn Aliexpress (PNSO Official Store), from today (May 23) to May 27, the new Acrocanthosaurus is on sale (as a "premiere")  at a discounted price of USD 34.39.
238 pieces available.

Regards

That is tempting, thanks.
I just wish there were some in hands pics before making a choice.
Sure enough, there it was this morning. It seems quite okay (and more) to me, so I ordered one.

SidB

Quote from: SRF on May 23, 2022, 01:43:35 PMI like the coloration of the body and it seems to stand very well. It's weird how the head seems to be painted black, like it's wearing some kind of warpaint.

Something else, has anyone noticed that if you want to order the Acrocanthosaurus on AliExpress, you have to select the right figure first before purchase? Otherwise you end up buying Essien the 2020 Spinosaurus instead.
Yes, that's a good caution; I noticed this too.

Darko2300

Ugh. Tempting, but I'm going to pass on this one. I've never been really in love with Acrocanthosaurus, and there's just so much else coming down the pipe. Gotta maintain focus and not get lost with every shiny new toy release. :))

Faras

Quote from: Concavenator on May 23, 2022, 01:11:12 PMavatar_SenSx @SenSx the first pics are out already:

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7846902843

That guy lives close to PNSO warehouse and paid extra on Aliexpress to be the first, pretty nuts...

Domestic release is late this time (31st), so probably no more in-hand pics on Tieba till June.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: