News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Taking a closer look at the photos, the feet look pretty wonky on this. Four claws  :-\
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

GojiraGuy1954

Knew it. Even less figures than last year. Was hoping for a couple surprises, but oh well.

This doesn't particularly impress, either. Probably will get it in a couple years time
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Well, I like it and plan on getting it; glad it is more long than tall otherwise it might not fit on my sauropod shelf hahaha

Pliosaurking

It looks a bit funny from some angles, but it still looks pretty good in my eyes

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 02, 2022, 07:56:27 PM

Carnegie Diplodocus (2007 version) is around 70cm along the axial column. That's 1:40 if you assume a 28m individual as listed (real D. carnegii probably closer to 25m, so the figure is more like 1:35).

AMNH Patagonian mount is stated to be 122ft long, so a 1:40 figure would be around 90cm. Of course the fossil is incomplete and the mount could be too long in some way (too many or too long centra?). If it had a shorter neck and tail than AMNH depicts, is could affect the scale, but the preview image looks pretty much in line with the AMNH proportions to me.

I got a length of 75cm for the Diplodocus, which would represent a 30m long specimen at 1/40. If it had slightly different proportions, it could work as a "Seismosaurus". I use 1/35 for the Diplodocus for a 26m specimen, like you. For the Patagotitan, I used a length of 30m (from randomdinos on DeviantArt). Now I see that since the model uses the AMNH proportions, my method was wrong. And it's not even that big anyway.

The model itself looks quite nice. 90s/2000s throwback with the horizontal neck, and I wish it was a bit bigger, but no problems otherwise.

Flaffy

I'm feel conflicted. On one hand it's a Patagotitan, any titanosaur is welcome in my book. But I can't help but feel that it could've been better.
Is this a sculpt by Doug? Or is it by another sculptor at Safari?

Surely this more upright neck posture below would be more natural?
Reconstructions depicted: Patagotitan skeletal by randomdinos (image mirrored for easier comparison); Argentinosaurus by Prehistoric Kingdom.

Compared to this problematic skeletal

Gwangi

It's alright, I'm not thrilled with it but it is a large sauropod toy so I'll have to mull it over.

Flaffy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 02, 2022, 08:04:21 PM
Ooh, and it looks like it was revealed while I was typing! Looks pretty good, though is it just me (or just the angle?) or does the head look oversized? Hard to get a clear lateral view of either mount but the head feels like it should be more Diplodocus size/proportioned to me.

The chalk photo looks better so it might just be the angle of the photos.
While I'm hesitant to comment on the head proportions due to the posture of the figure, I will say this: Titanosaurs had proportionally SMALL heads compared to their bodies, even among sauropods. The head sculpt also feels rather lumpy and bulbous to me.

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 02, 2022, 08:08:55 PM
Taking a closer look at the photos, the feet look pretty wonky on this. Four claws  :-\
I've noticed this too. I'm confused as to why the fourth digit was given a claw.

Duna

Quote from: Flaffy on February 02, 2022, 08:28:21 PM
I'm feel conflicted. On one hand it's a Patagotitan, any titanosaur is welcome in my book. But I can't help but feel that it could've been better.
Is this a sculpt by Doug?
I'd say I'm 99% sure it's from Doug. Same eyes, face, nostrils and legs seen in other figures. I'd even say coloration, too. Very recognisable style.

Quote from: Flaffy on February 02, 2022, 08:41:59 PM
While I'm hesitant to comment on the head proportions due to the posture of the figure, I will say this: Titanosaurs had proportionally SMALL heads compared to their bodies, even among sauropods. The head sculpt also feels rather lumpy and bulbous to me.
The same came to my mind with I saw the picture. But the picture with the chalks looks perfect in size, so I'm guessing it's the angle of the picture, that doesn't help at all.

Of course, I'll be getting it because I think it looks nice and Patagotitan is a must in any dinosaur collection, same as Argentinosaurus, Diplodocus ... large dinosaurs deserve all the fame.

Flaffy

I guess one positive thing from this pose is that people can now recreate the infamous mount displayed at the AMNH. Though it is still a rather extreme and awkward posture for the creature.

Sim

This Patagotitan looks impressively sculpted but it's really not for me.  I find most sauropods quite boring, and this Patagotitan is consequently a boring figure to me.  I don't understand why Safari made this figure, frankly, they already have the titanosaur Malawisaurus, and a number of other sauropod figures, there are so many species that would have made more interesting releases, e.g. Plateosaurus.  It's possible Safari will have some more interesting figures for their prehistoric line this year, and I hope they do, but for now this is an underwhelming release, for me.

Quote from: Duna on February 02, 2022, 08:48:36 PM
Besides, I'll be getting it because I think it looks nice and Patagotitan is a must in any dinosaur collection, same as Argentinosaurus, Diplodocus ... large dinosaurs deserve all the fame.

I disagree, I think no dinosaur is a must, it's all up to what an individual wants.  Plus, Argentinosaurus and Patagotitan are known from such fragmentary remains that any figure of them is fantasy.  I don't like having fantasy dinosaurs in my collection.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on February 02, 2022, 09:10:43 PM
Quote from: Duna on February 02, 2022, 08:48:36 PM
Besides, I'll be getting it because I think it looks nice and Patagotitan is a must in any dinosaur collection, same as Argentinosaurus, Diplodocus ... large dinosaurs deserve all the fame.

I disagree, I think no dinosaur is a must, it's all up to what an individual wants.  Plus, Argentinosaurus and Patagotitan are known from such fragmentary remains that any figure of them is fantasy.  I don't like having fantasy dinosaurs in my collection.

Patagotitan is known from pretty decent remains; not incredible, but decent enough to justify a figure. Pretty sure we can make a well educated guess on the few missing elements based on related genera.

suspsy

Quote from: Flaffy on February 02, 2022, 09:17:21 PM
Patagotitan is known from pretty decent remains; not incredible, but decent enough to justify a figure. Pretty sure we can make a well educated guess on the few missing elements based on related genera.

That's actually one of the most complete colossal sauropods in the world.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

It looks great and I look forward to getting it when it comes out! It's a bit larger than I thought it would be, though not as big as I had hoped. The paintwork is decent, too.

I agree, the neck should probably be more upright. I prefer my titanosaurs to have a decent amount of muscle supporting the neck, as in the illustrations above. Also, it's hard to tell but the fourth claw might just be painted on, but I'm not sure.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Thialfi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 02, 2022, 08:13:00 PM
Knew it. Even less figures than last year. Was hoping for a couple surprises, but oh well.

This doesn't particularly impress, either. Probably will get it in a couple years time

They will do spread out reveals throughout the year.

Skorpio V.

It's rather low to the ground which I wasn't expecting. It looks really nice in the angle it's in for the chalk teaser, though! I suppose 2022 is shaping up to be the Year of the Sauropod with Some Flaws; this one being reconstructed with a weird reference, EoFauna's Diplodocus being on the skinnier side and having a lowered neck for shipping purposes, and Nanmu's rearing Brach being too fragile and snapping into pieces during shipping.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

CARN0TAURUS

I don't buy sauropods due to space limitations, but if I did, I would buy this.  With a decent repaint this thing would look really nice.

Flaffy

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 02, 2022, 10:08:06 PM
It's rather low to the ground which I wasn't expecting. It looks really nice in the angle it's in for the chalk teaser, though! I suppose 2022 is shaping up to be the Year of the Sauropod with Some Flaws; this one being reconstructed with a weird reference, EoFauna's Diplodocus being on the skinnier side and having a lowered neck for shipping purposes, and Nanmu's rearing Brach being too fragile and snapping into pieces during shipping.

I noticed that the Patagotitan looks better in the chalk teaser too! (nicer angle I assume)
As to whether I'll get this one or not, I'll have to wait for reviews to make a final decision. Space is incredibly limited for me atm.

Sim

I don't think Patagotitan's skull can be guessed accurately.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: