News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Hate to be a downer for this one, after months of waiting for um something, but not feeling too excited for it. Granted was not a must have species for me to begin with, so that doesn't help, but I'm not a fan of this low neck posture on what is a titanosaur. It just loses some of the appeal of the group to begin with, for me.  Not sure why it has four claws on the hind limbs either? Otherwise it's nice I guess. The color scheme also reminds me a lot of the Baryonyx from last year, which I liked, but it does make this feel a little samey though.
Edit: Can't say I'm a fan of this new direction of being slow dripped reveals/releases either, but I guess it's just the nature of the situation with Safari Ltd being a smaller family owned company, the shipping crisis, costs of things, whatever. Though I also don't think this will help them much either this year in comparison to companies like CollectA, PNSO, etc, and add in the fact this is also a movie year for the Jurassic World franchise, so Mattel will also have an onslaught of releases.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

I honestly like the pose. It makes the figure look curious. It's different from the standard upright position; I have enough of those. This pose makes the figure quite unique and I can appreciate that.

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on February 02, 2022, 09:20:53 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on February 02, 2022, 09:17:21 PM
Patagotitan is known from pretty decent remains; not incredible, but decent enough to justify a figure. Pretty sure we can make a well educated guess on the few missing elements based on related genera.

That's actually one of the most complete colossal sauropods in the world.

Imo.  This genus deserved a toy more then the few Argentinosaurus on the market. BECAUSE OF THIS!!!!

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on February 02, 2022, 10:21:12 PM
I don't think Patagotitan's skull can be guessed accurately.

The general shape can be inferred from related genera. I believe most mounts base their skulls off Sarmientosaurus, Hartman uses Bonitasaura, and the Random's skeletal uses Tapuisaurus. All 3 genus have good skull material.

PrimevalRaptor

Colors may be quite similar to the Baryonyx but the pattern is really nice imo
Do really like the skin folds and overall texture but I agree on the pose, it's luckily not Papo-levels and I see that they probably referenced the AMNH mount but a more upright neck would have been cool.
Still a very nice sauropod to have though! (I agree on the calls for a new Plateosaurus though, it's been some time)

SpartanSquat

So its 38cm? Not the best but not the worse. Sad to see the dusk of the safari I witness the past decade. But I think the lack of figures is probably due the covid, changing headquarters and moving to third party companies

Mattyonyx

When I went to AMNH, I noticed an impressive amount of Safari figures, so I won't be surprised if this Patagotitan becomes a huge presence in the museum, and the pose makes it a perfect souvenir.

I mean, after looking at that gigantic skeleton, if there had been an identical toy I would have bought one...

leidy

Quote from: Flaffy on February 02, 2022, 08:54:58 PM
I guess one positive thing from this pose is that people can now recreate the infamous mount displayed at the AMNH. Though it is still a rather extreme and awkward posture for the creature.

Having seen that in person, I found it a very disappointing display of an incredible specimen.  Dimly lit and forced into an awkward posture in cramped quarters.  We should be wowed and awed in the presence of such an exhibit.  It's so underwhelming. 

I have similar feelings from what we see so far of the Safari figure. 

Skorpio V.

I kind of expected more from the Dino Dana partnership. Not to go all Safari Ltd. 2022 Hopes and Dreams on this thread but a Futalognkosaurus might have been apt. The show has a great, more orthodox bauplan of the titanosaur, where the Safari sculpt seems to be more based on that odd Dreadnoughtus skeletal.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Fembrogon

Quote from: leidy on February 03, 2022, 01:31:05 AM

Having seen that in person, I found it a very disappointing display of an incredible specimen.  Dimly lit and forced into an awkward posture in cramped quarters.  We should be wowed and awed in the presence of such an exhibit.  It's so underwhelming.
Aren't they also the museum with that wonky-looking shaggy T.rex model? Maybe there's a bad pattern developing here.

Bread

It looks nice to me, just putting it to the side for future pickups as of now.

Is this the only model for 2022?

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: Bread on February 03, 2022, 02:49:45 AM

There will eventually be more reveals from Safari Ltd throughout the year; not like before when all new figures were revealed at once.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on February 03, 2022, 08:18:14 AM

There will eventually be more reveals from Safari Ltd throughout the year; not like before when all new figures were revealed at once.
Source?
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Thialfi

Quote from: Shane on January 31, 2022, 09:58:43 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 31, 2022, 09:42:11 PM

As long as they don't stretch it out for weeks on end, I'm fine with it.

Individual reveals will not be dragged out forever.

However, as has been mentioned, the reveals themselves will be coming at different times throughout the year instead of all at once.

SidB

Fair enough, I will accommodate myself to that approach; it's reasonable as long as the individual reveals are not excessively teased out.

Shane

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 03, 2022, 01:51:06 AM
I kind of expected more from the Dino Dana partnership. Not to go all Safari Ltd. 2022 Hopes and Dreams on this thread but a Futalognkosaurus might have been apt. The show has a great, more orthodox bauplan of the titanosaur, where the Safari sculpt seems to be more based on that odd Dreadnoughtus skeletal.

The Patagotitan is not part of the Dino Dana partnership. It's part of the Wild Safari Prehistoric World.

There are future releases underway with Dino Dana, but it is its own separate collection.

Shane

Quote from: SidB on February 03, 2022, 01:01:16 PM

Fair enough, I will accommodate myself to that approach; it's reasonable as long as the individual reveals are not excessively teased out.

If you remember, Safari did not excessively tease these out. There was a leak of a list that had nothing to do with Safari.

As has been mentioned several times, on this forum and in other places, there will be further reveals throughout the year.

These are just the first wave.

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 02, 2022, 08:13:00 PM
Knew it. Even less figures than last year. Was hoping for a couple surprises, but oh well.

This doesn't particularly impress, either. Probably will get it in a couple years time

Knew what, exactly?

Really not sure how many times a company can say "There will be multiple reveals, spread throughout the year" before people will get the message.

There will be more figure reveals forthcoming. Some of these will be dinosaur figures.

I hope people are happy with this figure, and will continue to exercise patience as other figure reveals make their way through the pipeline.

Strepsodus

I don't know about anybody else, but I like the Patagotitan. It's in the same position as the AMNH specimen and I can see it bending down to look at something or grab some vegetation. I'm a big fan of prehistoric and modern life in general and Titanosaurs are underrepresented. Thank you Safari, and looking forward to seeing what comes out later.

suspsy

I don't think I'll be getting the Patagotitan, but I am happy with it. I look forward to seeing the eventual review. And I am also happy that we have a Safari representative here to provide accurate information.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: