News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Safari often commissions figures for zoos, museums, etc for attractions they have, and then make the figures broadly available. I wonder if the Patagotitan was orignally commissioned by the AMNH to sell there to highlight their exhibit (which I love BTW, having seen it in person)?

Anyway I am getting the Patagotitan.

Thialfi

Quote from: Strepsodus on February 03, 2022, 01:49:45 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I like the Patagotitan. It's in the same position as the AMNH specimen and I can see it bending down to look at something or grab some vegetation. I'm a big fan of prehistoric and modern life in general and Titanosaurs are underrepresented. Thank you Safari, and looking forward to seeing what comes out later.

Same! I very much welcome a different pose from the typical upright position these animals are usually portrayed in.

Lynx

https://www.safariltd.com/products/patagotitan-toy-dinosaur-figure?_pos=6&_sid=4a4b7d34e&_ss=r

WOAH, this sauropod is just beautiful! A bit expensive, but looks nice regardless. I am not sure why many are upset about it, I think it looks just fine, it is massive, too! Might be the first sauropod to sit on my shelves.
An oversized house cat.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Thialfi on February 03, 2022, 02:04:42 PM
Quote from: Strepsodus on February 03, 2022, 01:49:45 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I like the Patagotitan. It's in the same position as the AMNH specimen and I can see it bending down to look at something or grab some vegetation. I'm a big fan of prehistoric and modern life in general and Titanosaurs are underrepresented. Thank you Safari, and looking forward to seeing what comes out later.

Same! I very much welcome a different pose from the typical upright position these animals are usually portrayed in.

It isn't so much a different position as it is based off an inaccurate skeletal based on Dreadnoughtus, which it's very distant from. The idea of it lumbering down definitely makes it more likeable though.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Duna

Quote from: Sim on February 02, 2022, 09:10:43 PM
This Patagotitan looks impressively sculpted but it's really not for me.  I find most sauropods quite boring, and this Patagotitan is consequently a boring figure to me.  I don't understand why Safari made this figure, frankly, they already have the titanosaur Malawisaurus, and a number of other sauropod figures, there are so many species that would have made more interesting releases, e.g. Plateosaurus.  It's possible Safari will have some more interesting figures for their prehistoric line this year, and I hope they do, but for now this is an underwhelming release, for me.

Quote from: Duna on February 02, 2022, 08:48:36 PM
Besides, I'll be getting it because I think it looks nice and Patagotitan is a must in any dinosaur collection, same as Argentinosaurus, Diplodocus ... large dinosaurs deserve all the fame.

I disagree, I think no dinosaur is a must, it's all up to what an individual wants.  Plus, Argentinosaurus and Patagotitan are known from such fragmentary remains that any figure of them is fantasy.  I don't like having fantasy dinosaurs in my collection.
I disagree. Its remains are not fragmentary but one of the most complete colossal sauropods in the world. And yes, I think the largest sauropods and the longest, same about theropods (longest, largest, are a must in any dinosaur collection. Of course it's up to each one if you don't collect sauropods or you don't have space for it.

Strepsodus

The Collecta Argentinosaurus looks to be based off this kind of reconstruction while the Patagotitan is based off the AMNH skeleton. Not very much of Argentinosaurus is known, but we can make a lot of educated inferences using its relatives like Saltasaurus. Patagotitan on the other hand has some of the best remains for a massive dinosaur.

microraptorgui

More photos from Safari's Facebook ad:

I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!
Check it out at www.redbubble.com/people/microraptorgui/shop!

microraptorgui

The lateral image that was put in the first post of this thread looks strange to me, with a head that appears to be too big, as others have commented. However, I think that's because the neck curves to the left, making the head closer to the viewer than is the rest of the body. These new pics from Safari look much more promising!
I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!

Duna

Yes, it looks much better when the picture is not taken from the angle the figure is looking at. By the way, it is just like the pose of the skeleton mount of the AMNH, so I think it will sell well there.
I would have liked with the neck more upright (to save space) but I seems I can be placing it with the Eofauna diplodocus (that won't fit in any shelf of the cabinet) so perfectly fine. Both would look gorgeous ...

Jose S.M.

For some reason Safari figures tend to look much better in that " in real life" setting than the ones with the all white background.

Shonisaurus

I am glad that it is basically a figure with an acceptable size that will accompany my favorite figures in my collection, including the PNSO huanghetitan. Her artistic bill is outstanding, although I would have liked her to have a more upright posture, but I think that is due to scientific reasons for the production of the figure, artistic license and the company's own philosophy and protocol. It's a 100% cool figure.

I really like that earthy color of the Patagonian, without a doubt, an improvement over the Malawisaurus, which although it is very well modeled, the paint colors did not completely convince me.

microraptorgui

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 03, 2022, 08:01:02 PM
I really like that earthy color of the Patagonian, without a doubt, an improvement over the Malawisaurus, which although it is very well modeled, the paint colors did not completely convince me.

Yes, if they'd just repaint that Malawisaurus, I might buy it!

Jose S.M.

Quote from: microraptorgui on February 03, 2022, 08:13:05 PM

I guess I'm a minority here because I really like the Malawisaurus coloration, except for its head that I repainted to be all the same color of the main body.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Jose S.M. on February 03, 2022, 08:40:26 PM

I guess I'm a minority here because I really like the Malawisaurus coloration, except for its head that I repainted to be all the same color of the main body.

I'm with you Jose, I like the color of the Malawisaurus

stoneage

I'm also fine with the Malawisaurus.  For me the Patagonian is too small for a 100 foot sauropod and seems rather expensive for what you get.  Does anyone know if the neck is bendable?

microraptorgui

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 03, 2022, 10:10:47 PM

Quote from: stoneage on February 03, 2022, 10:36:45 PM
I'm also fine with the Malawisaurus.  For me the Patagonian is too small for a 100 foot sauropod and seems rather expensive for what you get.  Does anyone know if the neck is bendable?

I really doubt that the neck is bendable. They did that with the Carnegie Tanystropheus, but haven't with anything since if memory serves.

That's fine if you like the Malawisaurus. I wish I liked it! Here's my analysis: Besides the improbable tiger coloration on the body, the head of the Malawisaurus has a particularly egregious paint job. The details of the sculpt could be brought out so much better with a different color scheme. The white with bits of orange showing through looks sloppy. And I really don't like the eyes.

Sim

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 03, 2022, 02:54:05 PM
It isn't so much a different position as it is based off an inaccurate skeletal based on Dreadnoughtus, which it's very distant from. The idea of it lumbering down definitely makes it more likeable though.

Are you talking about the colour coded skeletal avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy posted?  I'm pretty sure that skeletal is of Patagotitan.

Quote from: Duna on February 03, 2022, 04:13:59 PM
I disagree. Its remains are not fragmentary but one of the most complete colossal sauropods in the world. And yes, I think the largest sauropods and the longest, same about theropods (longest, largest, are a must in any dinosaur collection. Of course it's up to each one if you don't collect sauropods or you don't have space for it.

Patagotitan is known from several specimens all of which are fragmentary, so its remains are fragmentary.  If you put them all together you do get something more complete, but still fragmentary in my opinion.  It's up to each individual to decide what is a must in their collection, no-one else can make that decision for them.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 03, 2022, 01:58:55 PM
Safari often commissions figures for zoos, museums, etc for attractions they have, and then make the figures broadly available. I wonder if the Patagotitan was orignally commissioned by the AMNH to sell there to highlight their exhibit (which I love BTW, having seen it in person)?

Anyway I am getting the Patagotitan.

Oh, that might be why Safari made a Patagotitan!

Flaffy

New comparison

Takama

Quote from: Flaffy on February 04, 2022, 01:22:39 AM
New comparison

Wow

Thats Underwhlming,    And just makes me Disapointed in that Amargasaurus Even more  then i was back in 2018

Safari   WHY CANT YOU SCALE YOUR SAUROPODS RIGHT?

stoneage

Quote from: microraptorgui on February 03, 2022, 11:56:53 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 03, 2022, 10:10:47 PM

Quote from: stoneage on February 03, 2022, 10:36:45 PM

I really doubt that the neck is bendable. They did that with the Carnegie Tanystropheus, but haven't with anything since if memory serves.

That's fine if you like the Malawisaurus. I wish I liked it! Here's my analysis: Besides the improbable tiger coloration on the body, the head of the Malawisaurus has a particularly egregious paint job. The details of the sculpt could be brought out so much better with a different color scheme. The white with bits of orange showing through looks sloppy. And I really don't like the eyes.

I don't see it as a tiger coloration.  Mine is light brown on the neck unlike your picture.  I do think the white stripes could have been executed better or even eliminated.  You picture is so close its out of focus. I can't replicate it with my own eyes from a foot away.  I think on a shelf it looks fine. What's wrong with the eyes?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: