News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

It seems that even the 2019 Camarasaurus is a more impressive figure than the Patagotitan size and stature wise.
I expected better from one of the largest sauropods that ever walked the Earth. I do wonder if these size limitations are predetermined by Safari ltd beforehand.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Ugly, small, not very accurate, slouched posture... yeah I probably won't pick this one up. Very disappointing, the genus was very exciting. I hope the rest of the year's releases are promising.

Also, I quite liked the Malawisaurus as well despite it being small.

microraptorgui

Quote from: stoneage on February 04, 2022, 01:43:41 AM
Quote from: microraptorgui on February 03, 2022, 11:56:53 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 03, 2022, 10:10:47 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on February 03, 2022, 08:40:26 PM
Quote from: microraptorgui on February 03, 2022, 08:13:05 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 03, 2022, 08:01:02 PM
I really like that earthy color of the Patagonian, without a doubt, an improvement over the Malawisaurus, which although it is very well modeled, the paint colors did not completely convince me.

Yes, if they'd just repaint that Malawisaurus, I might buy it!

I guess I'm a minority here because I really like the Malawisaurus coloration, except for its head that I repainted to be all the same color of the main body.

I'm with you Jose, I like the color of the Malawisaurus

Quote from: stoneage on February 03, 2022, 10:36:45 PM
I'm also fine with the Malawisaurus.  For me the Patagonian is too small for a 100 foot sauropod and seems rather expensive for what you get.  Does anyone know if the neck is bendable?

I really doubt that the neck is bendable. They did that with the Carnegie Tanystropheus, but haven't with anything since if memory serves.

That's fine if you like the Malawisaurus. I wish I liked it! Here's my analysis: Besides the improbable tiger coloration on the body, the head of the Malawisaurus has a particularly egregious paint job. The details of the sculpt could be brought out so much better with a different color scheme. The white with bits of orange showing through looks sloppy. And I really don't like the eyes.

I don't see it as a tiger coloration.  Mine is light brown on the neck unlike your picture.  I do think the white stripes could have been executed better or even eliminated.  You picture is so close its out of focus. I can't replicate it with my own eyes from a foot away.  I think on a shelf it looks fine. What's wrong with the eyes?

Hi stoneage,

If you like it, that's great. To me, the eyes look strange being so bright yellow and with the dark black outline. If the paint on your model is better executed and you've got a picture, I'd love to see it. Sorry that my picture is a little blurry. It's actually just cropped from Safari's website, since I don't own the model. Here's the full thing:

I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!
Check it out at www.redbubble.com/people/microraptorgui/shop!

suspsy

Are there any images of the Patagotitan alongside other Safari toys? I passed on that crazy Argentinosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Like folks have already said, sad to see how underwhelming it is in the size department too, especially seeing it dwarfed by that Amargasaurus (although that's also a result of massive scale difference between the two). Now I wonder how long we'll be waiting for the next reveal since they'll be spread out now?

I agree that their 2019 Camarasaurus was really well done, and probably one of their best sauropods to date. Easily my favorite so far anyways. Still unfortunately behind on that one. I hope both that and the upcoming Eofauna Diplodocus will display nicely alongside together since I believe they are both around 1:40, give or take.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

I was hoping for something closer to the larger Carnegie sauropods, myself. It's still a nice figure, and the pose has grown on me a bit, especially considering it's based on the AMNH mount. If this is indeed a collaboration with the AMNH, it wouldn't be Safari's first. I think if they were to partner for a full line, the Carnegie would finally have a worthy successor, though of course that's very wishful thinking.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

stoneage

Quote from: microraptorgui on February 04, 2022, 02:25:42 AM
Quote from: stoneage on February 04, 2022, 01:43:41 AM
Quote from: microraptorgui on February 03, 2022, 11:56:53 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 03, 2022, 10:10:47 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on February 03, 2022, 08:40:26 PM
Quote from: microraptorgui on February 03, 2022, 08:13:05 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 03, 2022, 08:01:02 PM
I really like that earthy color of the Patagonian, without a doubt, an improvement over the Malawisaurus, which although it is very well modeled, the paint colors did not completely convince me.

Yes, if they'd just repaint that Malawisaurus, I might buy it!

I guess I'm a minority here because I really like the Malawisaurus coloration, except for its head that I repainted to be all the same color of the main body.

I'm with you Jose, I like the color of the Malawisaurus

Quote from: stoneage on February 03, 2022, 10:36:45 PM
I'm also fine with the Malawisaurus.  For me the Patagonian is too small for a 100 foot sauropod and seems rather expensive for what you get.  Does anyone know if the neck is bendable?

I really doubt that the neck is bendable. They did that with the Carnegie Tanystropheus, but haven't with anything since if memory serves.

That's fine if you like the Malawisaurus. I wish I liked it! Here's my analysis: Besides the improbable tiger coloration on the body, the head of the Malawisaurus has a particularly egregious paint job. The details of the sculpt could be brought out so much better with a different color scheme. The white with bits of orange showing through looks sloppy. And I really don't like the eyes.

I don't see it as a tiger coloration.  Mine is light brown on the neck unlike your picture.  I do think the white stripes could have been executed better or even eliminated.  You picture is so close its out of focus. I can't replicate it with my own eyes from a foot away.  I think on a shelf it looks fine. What's wrong with the eyes?

Hi stoneage,

If you like it, that's great. To me, the eyes look strange being so bright yellow and with the dark black outline. If the paint on your model is better executed and you've got a picture, I'd love to see it. Sorry that my picture is a little blurry. It's actually just cropped from Safari's website, since I don't own the model. Here's the full thing:

I have a picture on my phone, but I don't have anyway to send it right now.  I think the light used tends to make things brighter especially close up.  I've seen pictures where it does look very orange.  The only real way to tell is to see it in person, which if you don't have access to it is a problem.  It was voted the best dinosaur toy figure of 2018 by Prehistoric Times Magazine. 

Bokisaurus

Well we'll, we finally have our first figure for this year!
I can see how the neck posture is a bit underwhelming, a little contrived.
But it's a beautiful model that has a nice fluid movement to it.
I'm excited that after skipping the entire lineup last year that I have something to look forward to this year from Safari.

The size is smaller, but that seems to be the trend lately with shipping and material cost skyrocketing. Any bigger and the cost will surely go up.

The last few year was. It kind to sauropods, they suffered either: downsized (CollectA and Mono), overpriced (w dragon, Nanmu), ignored (PNSO), or turned into monstrosity (Schleich).
So for me it's a wonderful news and the size is a nice compromise.
I can't wait to see it it person😃

MLMjp

Coming late to the party (as always)

Not too impressed between the pose and the color palette of the Patagotitan.

And as always, since my collection has some strict scale rules...the size of this is too small. And I know Im basically dooming myself of barely getting any sauropod with this mindset since companies won't make large figures anymore, but that how it is.

Duna

Quote from: Sim on February 04, 2022, 12:18:43 AM
Patagotitan is known from several specimens all of which are fragmentary, so its remains are fragmentary.  If you put them all together you do get something more complete, but still fragmentary in my opinion.  It's up to each individual to decide what is a must in their collection, no-one else can make that decision for them
It obvious than when you find several different bones from different individuals of the same species, you can use them to complete the original holotype in a very apropiate way. Even when you find only one of the limbs, you can inferit the other in a totally sure way. That's what is done all time with most species.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 03, 2022, 02:54:05 PM
It isn't so much a different position as it is based off an inaccurate skeletal based on Dreadnoughtus, which it's very distant from. The idea of it lumbering down definitely makes it more likeable though.

Are you talking about the colour coded skeletal avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy posted?  I'm pretty sure that skeletal is of Patagotitan.

Sure, it says it's of Patagotitan, but that skeletal is weirdly... Dreadnoughtian? Here's a Dreadnoughtus skeletal:

And the phylogeny from Wikipedia:

And this tree is from the publishing of that same skeletal.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Flaffy

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 04, 2022, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 03, 2022, 02:54:05 PM
It isn't so much a different position as it is based off an inaccurate skeletal based on Dreadnoughtus, which it's very distant from. The idea of it lumbering down definitely makes it more likeable though.

Are you talking about the colour coded skeletal avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy posted?  I'm pretty sure that skeletal is of Patagotitan.

Sure, it says it's of Patagotitan, but that skeletal is weirdly... Dreadnoughtian? Here's a Dreadnoughtus skeletal:

The horizontal Patagotitan I posted was just a bad skeletal in general. Same goes for the Dreadnoughtus above.
I find that "Official" skeletals included in published papers usually aren't the best at showing the actual anatomy of the animal. Rather, it serves the purpose of illustrating the type, amount and location of bones found; along with showing missing elements. Hence why I personally feel that reconstructing animals based solely on their paper-skeletals just because they're "official" is a problematic approach.

Shane

This will probably be my last post, at least for a while. It is not part of my job description to be on this forum, I'm here because I (usually) enjoy discussing dinosaur toys.

Everyone is free to express their opinions. Criticism is certainly important, and Safari does its best to listen to feedback from all its fans. However, some of the negativity can be a bit much to deal with, at times.

Just a small note - anyone expecting something like the Carnegie Brachiosaurus or Diplodocus as far as size and scale, in today's market - you should probably adjust your expectations going forward, not just for Safari, but most companies (with the exception of a giant like Mattel). The market has changed drastically, even in the past year, shipping and materials costs have increased dramatically and will likely continue to do so.

As far as the photo with the Amargasaurus, that was just to give you guys a size reference for the new Patagotitan figure. Since you guys can't hold it in your hands yet, it was thought it might be nice to give you something you were already familiar with to compare it to, so you'd have an idea of what to expect.

Whether or not you choose to purchase this figure when it becomes available is entirely up to you. And I hope those who make that choice will enjoy it.

suspsy

Oh, that's just wonderful. Wonderful. A Safari representative is leaving the forum due to all the negativity. Happy now?  :P

I seriously wish more people here would make an effort to balance out their criticisms with compliments. I don't claim to be perfect myself, but at least when I stated that I probably wouldn't get the Patagotitan (mainly due to budget and lack of display space), I also stated that I was happy with it. Same goes for the Rebor Kiss/Tusk.

Colour me disgusted right now.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

JimoAi

Does it work as a juvenile/subadult cuz of the smaller scale?

SidB

Quote from: JimoAi on February 04, 2022, 02:00:37 PM
Does it work as a juvenile/subadult cuz of the smaller scale?
Exactly my thought too. That would justify me getting one for my largely 1/40 -1/35 scale dioramas. It's a concept that allows the Papo Apatosaurus to be effectively employed there too, for example.

JimoAi

Quote from: Shane on February 04, 2022, 01:25:05 PM
This will probably be my last post, at least for a while. It is not part of my job description to be on this forum, I'm here because I (usually) enjoy discussing dinosaur toys.

Everyone is free to express their opinions. Criticism is certainly important, and Safari does its best to listen to feedback from all its fans. However, some of the negativity can be a bit much to deal with, at times.

Just a small note - anyone expecting something like the Carnegie Brachiosaurus or Diplodocus as far as size and scale, in today's market - you should probably adjust your expectations going forward, not just for Safari, but most companies (with the exception of a giant like Mattel). The market has changed drastically, even in the past year, shipping and materials costs have increased dramatically and will likely continue to do so.

As far as the photo with the Amargasaurus, that was just to give you guys a size reference for the new Patagotitan figure. Since you guys can't hold it in your hands yet, it was thought it might be nice to give you something you were already familiar with to compare it to, so you'd have an idea of what to expect.

Whether or not you choose to purchase this figure when it becomes available is entirely up to you. And I hope those who make that choice will enjoy it.

It would be awesome to see smaller species done in smaller sizes!

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on February 04, 2022, 01:46:56 PM
Oh, that's just wonderful. Wonderful. A Safari representative is leaving the forum due to all the negativity. Happy now?  :P

I seriously wish more people here would make an effort to balance out their criticisms with compliments. I don't claim to be perfect myself, but at least when I stated that I probably wouldn't get the Patagotitan (mainly due to budget and lack of display space), I also stated that I was happy with it. Same goes for the Rebor Kiss/Tusk.

Colour me disgusted right now.

I know I said last post, etc. etc. and I do appreciate the call for positivity, I just want people to understand -

You are all entitled to express your opinions and I'm not trying to hold my participation over you as some kind of "or else" censorship.

As I said, it's not my job to be here, and during these "new reveal" periods there's bound to be a lot of discussion both negative and positive, and I just don't have the time or energy to devote to it.

I do think that if someone has negative opinions to express, that it should be done in a constructive way. Some people have indeed done that, while others have not.

I'll still be lurking around, just less of an active participant.

Last thing I'll say for the time being is, there's more coming, and I hope that there's something for everyone in what Safari has planned.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Shane on February 03, 2022, 01:27:17 PM
There are future releases underway with Dino Dana, but it is its own separate collection.

I missed this reply, but reading it now, I'm super excited! The Dino Dana lineup of dinosaurs is really extensive and has a lot of genera we don't have definitive models of. Even if there wouldn't be any new sculpts of it, repaints of their colour schemes would work incredibly well.

As for criticisms, I agree that baseless negativity is absolutely unnecessary. Thank you, Shane, for bearing with any of it and still sending us valuable information via the forum ^-^ We appreciate you!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Jose S.M.

I'm personally thankfully for S @Shane  's recent interventions and updates to keep our sometimes impatient community and hope to keep reading from you here.

Also I'm still excited to see what else is to come and wait to see more of the current sauropod to make my mind about it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: