News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimbeard

An unusal pose for a Titanosaur being so low-slung, but I find myself liking it more the more often I look at it. The painting already looks great on the promo images and the Baryonyx and Dapletosaurus from last year thought me that the colors look WAY better in-hand compared to the promo pictures.

I will hold of my final judgement until in-hand picture are avaiable, but this already looks very promising.

Strepsodus

Quote from: Shane on February 04, 2022, 01:25:05 PM
This will probably be my last post, at least for a while. It is not part of my job description to be on this forum, I'm here because I (usually) enjoy discussing dinosaur toys.

Everyone is free to express their opinions. Criticism is certainly important, and Safari does its best to listen to feedback from all its fans. However, some of the negativity can be a bit much to deal with, at times.

Just a small note - anyone expecting something like the Carnegie Brachiosaurus or Diplodocus as far as size and scale, in today's market - you should probably adjust your expectations going forward, not just for Safari, but most companies (with the exception of a giant like Mattel). The market has changed drastically, even in the past year, shipping and materials costs have increased dramatically and will likely continue to do so.

As far as the photo with the Amargasaurus, that was just to give you guys a size reference for the new Patagotitan figure. Since you guys can't hold it in your hands yet, it was thought it might be nice to give you something you were already familiar with to compare it to, so you'd have an idea of what to expect.

Whether or not you choose to purchase this figure when it becomes available is entirely up to you. And I hope those who make that choice will enjoy it.

This forum man. The "experts" have become obnoxious to the point where people representing companies are pushed away. This isnt the first time this happened, and unless the "experts" learn their lesson, it sure as hell wont be the last. Shame on
You.

Shane, if you're reading this, the STS Forum is also an option with extremely welcoming people whom I am also a member of.

Also I've seen Titanosaurs in both vertical neck and horizontal neck positions but I'm not sure which one is more realistic.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Faelrin on February 04, 2022, 03:18:40 AM
Like folks have already said, sad to see how underwhelming it is in the size department too, especially seeing it dwarfed by that Amargasaurus (although that's also a result of massive scale difference between the two). Now I wonder how long we'll be waiting for the next reveal since they'll be spread out now?

I agree that their 2019 Camarasaurus was really well done, and probably one of their best sauropods to date. Easily my favorite so far anyways. Still unfortunately behind on that one. I hope both that and the upcoming Eofauna Diplodocus will display nicely alongside together since I believe they are both around 1:40, give or take.

I think they're done mate
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 04, 2022, 04:24:46 PM
Like folks have already said, sad to see how underwhelming it is in the size department too, especially seeing it dwarfed by that Amargasaurus (although that's also a result of massive scale difference between the two). Now I wonder how long we'll be waiting for the next reveal since they'll be spread out now?

I agree that their 2019 Camarasaurus was really well done, and probably one of their best sauropods to date. Easily my favorite so far anyways. Still unfortunately behind on that one. I hope both that and the upcoming Eofauna Diplodocus will display nicely alongside together since I believe they are both around 1:40, give or take.

They're not done. I don't understand why anyone would still claim such a thing in light of the fact that an actual Safari employee has stated clearly that there will be more reveals this year.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on February 04, 2022, 04:26:43 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 04, 2022, 04:24:46 PM

They're not done. I don't understand why anyone would still claim such a thing in light of the fact that an actual Safari employee has stated clearly that there will be more reveals this year.
The Dino Dana stuff is all repaints
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 04, 2022, 04:27:52 PM

Hi again, just stopping by to clear something up (seriously, last time) -

New dinos will be revealed this year. Dino Dana and otherwise.

Just because Dino Dana has thus far been repaints, does not mean that this is the way it will continue indefinitely.

Carry on.

Strepsodus

I'm personally hoping for Pterodactylus or Pterodaustro, but there are plenty of other unique stuff on the show

Strepsodus

Quote from: Shane on February 04, 2022, 04:33:44 PM

And it's such a shame that when given a chance to speak to an employee working for a great figure company, people would waste it being nit picky and negative. I hope to see Shane on STS

suspsy

Quote from: Shane on February 04, 2022, 04:33:44 PM

New dinos will be revealed this year. Dino Dana and otherwise.

Just because Dino Dana has thus far been repaints, does not mean that this is the way it will continue indefinitely.

Carry on.

*mic drop*

Halichoeres

It isn't everything I might have wanted from a titanosaur figure, but maybe we've all gotten a bit spoiled. I'm not really an expert on sauropod biomechanics, but whereas this is unlikely to be the at-rest pose for a titanosaur, it seems likely it could have stooped this low when it wanted to. It also makes sense as an AMNH tie-in. For those who haven't been in their dinosaur hall, AMNH really didn't have any other way to set this mount up short of taking out the Barosaurus from their foyer. If you have an HO scale train set, it might be fun to have this figure poking its head into the station while your tiny people flee. As for me, it will just go on this shelf:

instead of this one:

As to the fourth toenail, is this a situation like the PNSO Amargasaurus, where the claws weren't actually sculpted, but someone at the factory decided to paint them on anyway?

Quote from: Sim on February 02, 2022, 09:10:43 PM

I disagree, I think no dinosaur is a must, it's all up to what an individual wants.  Plus, Argentinosaurus and Patagotitan are known from such fragmentary remains that any figure of them is fantasy.  I don't like having fantasy dinosaurs in my collection.

Of course not everything is going to interest every person, but "fantasy" is really hyperbolic here. I get that from time to time an animal known from poor remains turns out to be significantly different from what people predicted, like Deinocheirus, but that's the exception, not the rule. There are a couple of different basic flavors of titanosaur skulls, they're small relative to the overall body so affect the overall appearance in a relatively modest way, and for animals of this size it's just so rare to find them articulated because of preservation bias that I don't think it makes sense to hold them to the same standard as animals that can easily preserve whole-body specimens.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

It really is a privilege to have members of our community here who are involved with toy production, and I appreciate that we can get to know more about the manufacturers and their processes. I'll admit, a few pages back, I was reminded of when similar criticism drove away Dan LoRusso for a while.

I'm excited to see what else Safari has in store for us in 2022. In the meantime, I'll order the patagotitan when it becomes available and catch up on a few others I haven't gotten yet.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 04, 2022, 08:11:59 PM
Of course not everything is going to interest every person, but "fantasy" is really hyperbolic here. I get that from time to time an animal known from poor remains turns out to be significantly different from what people predicted, like Deinocheirus, but that's the exception, not the rule. There are a couple of different basic flavors of titanosaur skulls, they're small relative to the overall body so affect the overall appearance in a relatively modest way, and for animals of this size it's just so rare to find them articulated because of preservation bias that I don't think it makes sense to hold them to the same standard as animals that can easily preserve whole-body specimens.

Put another way...

"All brontosauruses are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end." --Ann Elk

Dinoxels

I love just seeing Shane put the people that are spitting weird stuff at bay, gives me a good laugh.  ;D
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Takama

Just to be clear

Im Glad they made THE largest Titanosaur known from decent remains, but what frustrates me is the  image of it being compared with there Amargasaurus.   A model of a 10 meter long Sauropod that Was one of Safari ltds new for 2018 releases, but It was the one thing that made me quit buying there Dinosaurs.   Because in the Same Year, A Smaller model of a 16 meter long Malawisaurus was released at the same time.   

Now 4 years later, we have a model that should be the biggest thing in the whole collection, if not  at least the same EXACT SAME size as this Amargasaurus Which (IMO ) Should of Been swapped in sizes with the Malawisaurus.

Before 2018, I collected Safaris Dinosaurs, because they were in a Quasie scale, Big Animals Were Big. smaller animals were not  Then in 2017, the size of the models were increased derasticaly. So i held off a year to see what would come out next, and then that Green Beast dubbed Amargasaurus that was released along side another dinosaur that really should be swapped in size.

This is what put the nail in the coffin for me and their dinosaurs.   I gave away most of my Safari dinosaurs eventually. However I ocasinally Boght the ones that Were CONFIRMED to be in 1:35 scale by Doug Watson for special purposes.    But Otherwise, I still Support Safari by buying there Modern Wild Life Minatures.

Doug, if you see this, and that Patago is your model, i think it looks good.   I just wish the Amargasaurus Was even smaller then i did back in 2018

JimoAi

Thanks S @Shane for tolerating the nonsense. We've been too spoilt yes. I've tried sculpting figures and boy it wasn't easy, even more so mass producing. My due respects go to safari. My statement may not make much sense but at least I do t proclaim myself as an 'expert' on speculation

stargatedalek

And, as someone who likes big figures, I find the absolutism of "Safari Amargasaurus should have been smaller and the fact it wasn't is an objective failing" to be an obnoxious and disrespectful sentiment.

Skorpio V.

On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Gwangi

I don't understand the flow of logic here. The Patagotitan is too small because the Amargasaurus is too big? Well, I think the Patagotitan will look fine next to my Carnegie Amargasaurus. The Patagotitan is about as big as we can realistically expect a Safari toy to be, especially in 2022. Seriously.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on February 05, 2022, 02:04:38 AM
I don't understand the flow of logic here. The Patagotitan is too small because the Amargasaurus is too big? Well, I think the Patagotitan will look fine next to my Carnegie Amargasaurus. The Patagotitan is about as big as we can realistically expect a Safari toy to be, especially in 2022. Seriously.

Can you all imagine a Safari Patagotitan that's actually in scale with the T. rex and the Triceratops and the Stegosaurus? It would have to be significantly bigger than the Carnegie Diplodocus and would likely retail for at least $90 or $100 US. Probably more.

Such a beast would surely bankrupt Safari.

And really, anyone who dislikes the Safari Amargasaurus should just do what I did and not buy it. Problem solved.

Carnoking

I've never had a hard and fast rule with collecting or displaying in scale. If I like it, I buy it. Although I can understand the appeal of such collecting, I don't let the fact that it's too big or too small to scale with x,y, or z figure rain on my parade for a couple of reasons.
1) I don't want to have to choose between figures I like if they're not in scale with one another and
2) even if figures are in scale with one another, that doesn't necessarily make them "display compatible." Unless they're all coming from one brand, odds are they're not gonna look like they go together stylistically speaking anyway, even if they "size up" to one another.
That's why I usually just divide my display by company. Even if they're not in scale, they look good together due to the unique artistry each company brings to the table.
That being said, I get the whole question of scale, and the appeal of big figures, particularly sauropods. But for anyone thirsting for a big sauropod this year, there's always the Eofauna diplodocus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: