News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on May 03, 2022, 09:52:33 PM
Quote from: Patrx on May 03, 2022, 07:38:07 PM
Based upon a truly strange video from Safari's social media, I think tomorrow's reveal will be some manner of ankylosaur. Personally, I'm hoping for Zuul!

An actual reveal? Or just a teaser. Safari said that reveals would start on the 2nd, but ended up revealing the actual figure on the 3rd instead.

Yeah, I'm wondering if tomorrow we will see a new teaser or the new figure itself.

SidB

I'll definitely be sharpening the teeth and forelimb claws on mine, when I purchase one.

SpartanSquat

Based upon a truly strange video from Safari's social media, I think tomorrow's reveal will be some manner of ankylosaur. Personally, I'm hoping for Zuul!
Where they showed the ankylosaur hints?

GojiraGuy1954

Could you post the video?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

GojiraGuy1954

GojiraGuy1954

Never thought i'd see safari try to appeal to the tiktok demographic but i'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it

GojiraGuy1954

This video has floored me. The great majesty of this divine creation has shaken me to my core

GojiraGuy1954

This video makes me feel emotions that do not have names yet

Mattyonyx

Just out of curiosity:

1) How popular do you think Nanotyrannus is worldwide? I mean, there are not many nomina dubia dinosaurs on the market once they are considered invalid by most of the community.
2) How succesful is Dino Dana? Is there enough following to justify a sort of merchandise?

Stegotyranno420

It always seems like I'm late to these conversations.  For the nanotyrannus, I feel the same about the species choice as most of ye.
But the sculpt, while somewhat redundant (I dont know how the explain it better, but the scales keep repeating unnaturally IMO), is decent.
The colors however make it, well, not very pretty or natural. 
But still, great work to the sculptor, it is vastly superior to what I can do, so I respect it.
As per the video, I dont like their Tik Tok Video style(or most of Tok Tiks anyway) . I think a formal, museum like style will be the best kind of marketing,  but since then safari is moving on to children, and now whatever this is. Despite what I am about to say, I dont mean to insult anyone, but whoever did the voice over sounds like those ruffians who do all kinds of bad things at my school. I dont know why lol, the resemblance is crazy! ;) :o

Bread

Quote from: Mattyonyx on May 04, 2022, 02:10:40 AM
Just out of curiosity:

1) How popular do you think Nanotyrannus is worldwide? I mean, there are not many nomina dubia dinosaurs on the market once they are considered invalid by most of the community.
2) How succesful is Dino Dana? Is there enough following to justify a sort of merchandise?
1) I honestly think Nanotyrannus is popular known (invalid) genus but in a bad way. Mainly due to Jurassic Fight Club and other media promoting it.

2) I've personally never heard of it until Safari Ltd. released that Feathered Tyrannosaurus repaint. However, my nephew mentioned some time ago so it must be well-known for the youngesters who love dinosaurs.

KrazyKaprosuchus

I'm convinced Zuul is next up, judging by the comments under Safari's video.

SpartanSquat

I hope its euoplocephalus or zuul, but I wont be surprised if its a repaint of the old ankylo for dino dana like one friend said me in discord.
edit:

Faelrin

I will flip my lid if it is Zuul (or even long over due Euoplocephalus) tomorrow, but honestly any ankylosaurid will make me happy. Aside from Ankylosaurus and PNSO's Pinacosaurus there's been a drought of figures of these animals out there (edit: in recent years).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Euoplocephalus is in Dino Dana so that's a possibility.

That video is obnoxious. Clearly we are not the target demographic.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on May 04, 2022, 03:58:28 AM
Euoplocephalus is in Dino Dana so that's a possibility.

That video is obnoxious. Clearly we are not the target demographic.
I believe this video will be studied in film schools a few years down the line. The craftsmanship is awe-inspiring

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: RolandEden on May 04, 2022, 03:43:16 AM
I hope its euoplocephalus or zuul, but I wont be surprised if its a repaint of the old ankylo for dino dana like one friend said me in discord.
edit:

Zuul does appear in Dino Dana, so it would make sense if it's also part of Safari's partnership with them

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on May 04, 2022, 04:22:43 AM
Quote from: RolandEden on May 04, 2022, 03:43:16 AM
edit:

Zuul does appear in Dino Dana, so it would make sense if it's also part of Safari's partnership with them

Oof not a big fan of that look

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2022, 04:26:51 PM
I must say I hate how between PNSO's, this new Safari, and the upcoming BotM, there are more quality juvenile Tyrannosaurus figures than there are Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus (and many more tyrannosaurs). This is a pass, but I'm looking forward to see what else is shown.

CollectA also has a decent juvenile Tyrannosaurus!  If you want a good Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus I'd recommend the BotM versions, they're both excellent!

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 03, 2022, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2022, 04:26:51 PM
I feel you. I was anticipating an Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus only to find out about this... I feel as I've been trolled. Using the Nanotyrannus name is scientifically invalid, but so is the case with Dracorex and Stygimoloch yet people don't get so triggered by those, when they are equally as wrong. I will never understand this.
Not the same situation at all. Nanotyrannus as a name currently exists only to hype up and glorify privately owned specimens. And there is still a great deal of uncertainty regarding the degree to which Dracorex and Stygimoloch are Pachycephalosaurus, Dracorex seems like a mostly sure thing, but there are some Pachycephalosaurus specimens similar in size to Stygimoloch, as well as the two being separated by (not an extreme amount of) time while Pachycephalosaurus and Dracorex coexisted.

A solid case could be made for sinking Stygimoloch into Pachycephalosaurus as a new species in the genus, but it's not likely to be a growth stage.

It is uncertain if Stygimoloch is a growth stage of Pachycephalosaurus, but there's no doubt Dracorex is.  Scott Hartman said he's even seen a Dracorex specimen with a dome beginning to grow.

Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2022, 08:30:08 PM
Though if they released a Troodon, jokes aside, and also being aware of the invalidity of the name, I would probably still get it just because troodontids are extremely rare in figure form and I like them.

I like troodontids too, but I wouldn't get a Troodon figure as I despise the name due to how much damage it has done and due to it not representing a valid species.  I would love a figure of Saurornithoides or Stenonychosaurus though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: