News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Now that's more like it! No complains about this one, and it might be Safari's best painted model since their Sauropelta. Paintjobs never make or break a figure for me, but this is gorgeous. Can't wait for this one! This also looks like Mr Watson's work, but after the Nanotyrannus, I'm not so sure that it is. avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson care to weigh in?

ceratopsian

Definitely one for my purchase list.  I've been hoping for a model of Zuul from one of the model companies.  Perhaps a bit strong on the green was my first impression but already after only a few minutes I'm getting used to its colour choice.  Very pleasing release.

Flaffy

To be honest, with the continuous expansion of the Dino-Dana line... It brings up the question on whether the Dino-Dana line is meant to represent characters in cartoon show, or scientifically accurate reconstructions Safari is best known for. If it's the former, then I'll have to adjust my expectations for this line accordingly; but if it's the latter, then I do wonder if the potential compromises to scientific accuracy are worth it.

GojiraGuy1954

I'm gonna sift through all of the dino dana creatures to see what ones would make good figures

Spoiler
Archelon ischyros

Deinosuchus hatcheri

Futalognkosaurus dukei

Gigantoraptor erlianensis

Kentrosaurus aethiopicus

Psittacosaurus sibricus

Pterodactylus antiquus

Pterodaustro guinazui

Therizinosaurus cheloniformis

Titanis walleri
[close]

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Bruh I forgot that Fandom images break when you post them here

EDIT: Ok i fixed it

Concavenator

I'm not one who usually likes green dinosaurs (this is kind of a meme at this point), but I admit the Zuul looks very nicely painted.

Faelrin

I absolutely flipped my lid (as I said yesterday) waking up to see a figure of Zuul! I watched avatar_SpinoDude @SpinoDude 's video on it and I'm very much impressed and love this figure already. Never mind wanting a Zuul figure since it was described in 2017. I love the sculpt detail. As far as the head and tail go (back when it was described I think most of the body was still under preparation. Has there been anything on that since? Although I did see avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy 's post about the arms osteoderms, etc), it matches up with the holotype specimen, so like PNSO's Parasaurolophus, is directly based on this individual, and is not just a generic animal. I really like the green and cream it has. It is of course based on the Dino Dana one, but also reminds me of the wonderful paleoart released when it was described. It's also a good size (similar to the Sauropelta). I can't wait to add this one to my collection. Could be a while since I'll probably do another haul at the end of the year or in fall, but it is at the top of my wishlist from Safari Ltd now. Also the head from the front is super adorable! Who knew the "destroyer of shins" was so cute?

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking How things aligned perfectly to allow this to be made, lol.

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Those would all be nice to see.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Renecito

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 04, 2022, 05:40:33 PM
I'm gonna sift through all of the dino dana creatures to see what ones would make good figures

Spoiler
Archelon ischyros

Deinosuchus hatcheri

Futalognkosaurus dukei

Kentrosaurus aethiopicus

Psittacosaurus sibricus

Pterodactylus antiquus

Pterodaustro guinazui

Titanis walleri
[close]

That's why I am starting to really like these Dino Dana releases and congratulations to the sculptor behind these releases.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Thialfi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 04, 2022, 05:40:33 PM

Spoiler
Archelon ischyros

Deinosuchus hatcheri

Futalognkosaurus dukei

Kentrosaurus aethiopicus

Psittacosaurus sibricus

Pterodactylus antiquus

Pterodaustro guinazui

Titanis walleri
[close]

Gotta say, these all look rather excellent and even have me excited for the Dino Dana show. A giganotoraptor or kentrosaurus.. one can dream, right?

bmathison1972

This is a must-have for me! Not crazy about the green color, but that is very very minor and wouldn't affect me getting it.

Grimbeard

I really like this one, pleasant color scheme and nice sculpt (especially like the properly long tail and well-integrated body armor). Also a big plus that is a fairly recent species that has not represented as figures yet, especially from a usually underrepresented family.

If i wouldnt already have PNSOs Ankylosaur, this one would be a sure purchase.

Looking at these Dino Dana design, there are several that would make great figures (Titanis ...... ::) )

Looking forward for any further announcement this week  ^-^.

Doug Watson

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on May 04, 2022, 05:30:05 PM
This also looks like Mr Watson's work, but after the Nanotyrannus, I'm not so sure that it is. avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson care to weigh in?

Not mine

Fembrogon

Woo-hoo!! This is the most exciting release yet! I think the figure looks great, acknowledging certain discrepancies already mentioned; and I think the coloration looks very good (green Zuul is probably going to be a trope, honestly). I definitely hope this one sells well!

GojiraGuy1954

i wonder if anything by doug will come this year

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 04, 2022, 06:29:09 PM

The Patagotitan.

And possibly others...

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That Zuul is stunning, even without the Ghostbusters jokes, I am impressed and very excited about this one. I am more excited by this than by the 2 new Eofauna figures I have just ordered a few minutes ago. This is spectacular, the best non Doug or Forest figure by Safari Limited yet imo.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

bmathison1972

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Shane on May 04, 2022, 06:32:03 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 04, 2022, 06:29:09 PM

The Patagotitan.

And possibly others...
He did the Patagotitan? Huh, doesn't remind me of his usual style very much

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 04, 2022, 06:43:31 PM

He did the Patagotitan? Huh, doesn't remind me of his usual style very much

Yes, he's discussed it earlier in the thread.

Flaffy

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin from ankylosaur expert Victoria Arbour herself:

Any thoughts on the armour placement & shape for this figure? It seems to have some slight differences to the accompanying artwork of Zuul. Notably the ones highlighted in red and yellow.

"Unfortunately we don't have arms or in situ forelimb armour in the holotype, so these osteoderms in @MesozoicMuse's illustration are inferred based on other ankylosaur specimens."

Thank you for the clarification! Is the flank armour on the body preserved too? I notice different reconstructions have different sized & shaped flank osteoderms. e.g. Safari has a single row of small dots, while @MesozoicMuse reconstruction has multiple rows of large spikes.

"Zuul's body was still being prepared when we were working on the life illustration. Now that the body has been fully prepared, @DavidEvans_ROM and I are working away on a couple of papers describing Zuul's anatomy (including the osteoderm arrangement)!"

"(But I think the toy and the models/illustrations it's based off of look awesome! Any differences between this and the specimen are pretty minor overall.)"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: