News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on May 04, 2022, 11:19:23 AM
CollectA also has a decent juvenile Tyrannosaurus!  If you want a good Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus I'd recommend the BotM versions, they're both excellent!

Oh yeah, I forgot about it! It's decent, but the legs look weird and the tail appears to be too short. And I was well aware of those BotM figures, they're certainly top notch, but they are too big and expensive for me.

I like troodontids too, but I wouldn't get a Troodon figure as I despise the name due to how much damage it has done and due to it not representing a valid species.  I would love a figure of Saurornithoides or Stenonychosaurus though.

I mean, I probably wouldn't get it either, but at least I would consider it, it wouldn't be an inmediate pass as "Nanotyrannus". We are in a serious lack of troodontids, dromaeosaurids aren't very common either, but troodontids are even shadowed by dromaeosaurids.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on May 04, 2022, 01:00:05 PM
CollectA also has a decent juvenile Tyrannosaurus!  If you want a good Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus I'd recommend the BotM versions, they're both excellent!

Oh yeah, I forgot about it! It's decent, but the legs look weird and the tail appears to be too short. And I was well aware of those BotM figures, they're certainly top notch, but they are too big and expensive for me.
Do you have Papo's Gorgosaurus?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shane

Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2022, 11:51:33 PM

Yeah, I'm wondering if tomorrow we will see a new teaser or the new figure itself.

There will be a reveal today.

Shane

Quote from: Flaffy on May 03, 2022, 09:41:35 PM
Addressing Shane's questioning on why the Safari figure is supposedly receiving different treatment compared to PNSO's offering:
The PNSO Nanotyrannus also received flack, and plenty of people pointed out that they should've just sold it as a juvenile Tyrannosauurs. However, possible explanations for why the criticism was less noticeable could be due to:
1) "Logan" being buried among the countless other figures PNSO was releasing/revealing every other week. Keeping conversations fresh and attention spans short.
2) Other criticisms like it's overly high price were also dominant in the thread, as a noticeable shift in pricing occurred around that period of time.

I do remember there being criticisms of PNSO's choice of genus, but (maybe it's perspective bias) I don't remember quite so much vitriol, or the air of "outrage" over the choice.

Either way, hope people enjoy today's reveal!

SenSx

Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2022, 04:26:51 PM
I must say I hate how between PNSO's, this new Safari, and the upcoming BotM, there are more quality juvenile Tyrannosaurus figures than there are Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus (and many more tyrannosaurs). This is a pass, but I'm looking forward to see what else is shown.

Yes they look so beautiful, such a shame it's not 1/35, I can make concessions on the scale but not for 1/18 :(
And Papo's Gorgosaurus is the contrary, really tiny.

Concavenator

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 04, 2022, 01:40:55 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 04, 2022, 01:00:05 PM

Do you have Papo's Gorgosaurus?

I used to have it, but sold it afterwards. It's one of the best Papo figures, but I'm picky when it comes to accuracy and I think it can get better than that. Safari or anyone else surely could beat it imo.

GojiraGuy1954

Dusty Wren

Aw, I like the Zuul! Great detail on the body, and I think the face has a lot of character. The pose feels active without being overly exaggerated. Adding this one to my wishlist.

Here's SpinoDude's review, if you want to see it in action.

Link to SpinoDude's review
Check out my customs thread!

Patrx

Hey, what d'you know, a Zuul figure! First impressions are very positive and I will definitely be adding it to my collection.

Gwangi

Now, this is something to get excited about. I really like this one, a must-have and definitely the standout for me so far this year.  ;D

Thialfi

Damn, this one is impressive! What a sculpt, this is a definite buy for me! Finally, a zuul model, and such a pretty one full of character and detail! 😍

Gwangi

Concavenator

Without a doubt the best Safari 2022 release in my book. Splendid figure of an amazing ankylosaur that was overshadowed by the even more amazingly preserved Borealopelta. I'm adding this to my wish-list. Awesome job Safari!

avatar_suspsy @suspsy your time has come.

Dinoxels

I also have a picture of the Zuul on my Instagram now  ;D
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Halichoeres

This is a choice I can get behind (although maybe not literally, I like my shins the way they are).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Carnoking

"There is no Dino Dana, only Zuul!"

Easily my favorite sculpt so far this year although not the biggest fan of those heavy greens. I get that it's a tie in toy though so I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. Still, out of what we've seen so far, this is easily the best in my eyes

Stegotyranno420

Love the sculpt of the Zuul But heavy greens dont really fit this kind of animal. In addition the eyes seem to big and cartoon-esque
The previous two figures just need a fresh repaint and that will fix things up.
If it somehow ends up in my local Michael's I will be sure to pick this one up.

MLMjp

Will I ever be on time when it comes to discussing new figure announcements? sigh...

I have nothing to say about the "Nanotyrannus" thing that hasn't been said already. Judging only the figure, sculpt is fine but the overall figure doesn't do it to me, because, even tho I favor scaly Tyrannosaurids, I also thing juveniles/smaller ones should have some partial feathering, so the fact that this one os 100% scaly...

I like the Zuul, obscure species despite being rather well preserved, not a priority but I would like to pick it up at some point.

GojiraGuy1954

That's what I get for making a prior judgement of what this figure would look like. This looks great, one of the best (non-eofauna) figures slated for this year

Flaffy

So that's where all the paint budget went :))

Glad to see an actually new dinosaur this time around. It's a lovely figure and a must have in any avid ankylosaur collector's collection. Features of the described elements (skull, tail) are captured nicely on the figure, and thankfully the sculpt isn't a 1:1 recreation of the distinctly Euoplocephalus-inspired Dino Dana design.

However, I'd to point out certain discrepancies to the accompanying promotional artwork when the genus was first made public.
Allegedly, the specimen is largely articulate, with osteoderms, keratin and skin remains preserved in situ. Now I don't think we have an official description of the Zuul mummy's body yet, but when that happens, I do wonder how well this figure will hold up to the fossil evidence. Particularly in osteoderm shape, count and placement.

The flank osteoderms are notably absent (Red dots: 9 on each side, so that makes a total of 18); or highly reduced in size. This may very well be an unfortunate consequence of having to match the sculpt with the Dino Dana character model, which as pointed out by avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 , isn't the best representation of Zuul. Another discrepancy would be the placement and density of limb armour/spikes (yellow outline). But again as the forelimbs have not been officially described to my knowledge, this is a small nit-pick; but still worth pointing out.

Unedited artwork

Dino Dana character model

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: