You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mesozoic Life Project - Kickstarter 2022

Started by Thialfi, May 07, 2022, 11:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thialfi

Thanks for the work on the details on the campaign avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin! Curious about the answers to questions I had as well.

The Darknix

Hello everyone, I'm Darknix and I work as a collaborator in the Mesozoic Life project, the figure of Spinosaurus, and I have seen that you have some doubts regarding the Kickstarter project, first of all the project is safe so that a fog of insecurity is not created as if this was some kind of scam, second, the topic of the current budget is broken down for a total of 250 pieces while the previous one was 1000 and regarding the topic of the painted and unpainted version, that topic has been explained on twitter in addition to adding the reason to the Kickstarter, if you have any questions regarding it, we will gladly assist you. Have a good day.
TheDarknix

Faelrin

L @LBDINO Big Bad Toy Store lists the new Rebor Tyrannosaurus figures at 15.9 x 3.9 x 5.5 inches (40.5cm x 10cm x 14cm), where as this Spinosaurus is stated to be 44.40 cm long, by 16.21 cm tall, by 4.07 cm wide on the kickstarter. So in inches that should roughly be 17.45 long, by 6.38 tall, by 1.60 wide.

For another comparison the Papo 2019 Spinosaurus was 40.30 cm x 10.50 cm x 16.50 cm (grabbed the dimensions from their website).

avatar_The Darknix @The Darknix Thanks for jumping in, and explaining things. It makes a lot of sense to me that jumping down from 1000 - 250 units would reduce the total needed for funding considerably (with the amount for the steel mold consistent between both campaigns more or less). I suppose that would also explain why the taxes and fees have gone down as well, since I would think that would be interconnected, and more expensive with much more supply to account for.

I hope this campaign can succeed and I can get my hands on this wonderful looking Spinosaurus some day. Making good progress so far anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Maritimer

"You son of a *****, I'm in!"

Hoping that it all falls together this time - when I peeked last night, it was well over halfway to goal.

avatar_The Darknix @The Darknix , if I recall correctly the DinoHazard Irritator had some problems with bootlegging from - perhaps - a leaky factory. Eyes open.

~B.

Flaffy

Quote from: Maritimer on May 09, 2022, 11:32:43 AM

Hoping that it all falls together this time - when I peeked last night, it was well over halfway to goal.

avatar_The Darknix @The Darknix , if I recall correctly the DinoHazard Irritator had some problems with bootlegging from - perhaps - a leaky factory. Eyes open.

~B.

Yeah, my alarms went off when Mesozoic Life said that they were using the same factory as DinoHazard. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that mess.

SenSx

Quote from: Flaffy on May 09, 2022, 11:54:59 AM

~B.

Yeah, my alarms went off when Mesozoic Life said that they were using the same factory as DinoHazard. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that mess.

I haven't followed this, what kind of mess ?

Also it is said that the current budget is set for 250 piece, while the kickstarter page says 800 for the painted figures, and 200 for the unpainted, I don't get it...

Flaffy

Quote from: SenSx on May 09, 2022, 01:12:31 PM

~B.

Also it is said that the current budget is set for 250 piece, while the kickstarter page says 800 for the painted figures, and 200 for the unpainted, I don't get it...

IIRC the factory produced and distributed extra copies of the Irritators without the knowledge or consent of DinoHazard, and sold them way below the MSRP. DinoHazard  wouldn't have seen a single dime from the leaked copies sold, and furthermore, the leaked copies would be in direct competition with the real product.

As for the discrepancy on the number of copies for the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus; 250 is the minimum number of copies required to get this project started, as such, the minimum Kickstarter goal reflects that. Any additional orders above that 250 minimum that would be a bonus, not dissimilar to how David's Beasts of the Mesozoic campaigns far exceed the minimum goal.

SenSx

Quote from: Flaffy on May 09, 2022, 01:49:00 PM
Quote from: SenSx on May 09, 2022, 01:12:31 PM

~B.

IIRC the factory produced and distributed extra copies of the Irritators without the knowledge or consent of DinoHazard, and sold them way below the MSRP. DinoHazard  wouldn't have seen a single dime from the leaked copies sold, and furthermore, the leaked copies would be in direct competition with the real product.

As for the discrepancy on the number of copies for the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus; 250 is the minimum number of copies required to get this project started, as such, the minimum Kickstarter goal reflects that. Any additional orders above that 250 minimum that would be a bonus, not dissimilar to how David's Beasts of the Mesozoic campaigns far exceed the minimum goal.

Ok I was afraid the first wave of production would be only limited to 250, and that people who would buy it afterward would have to wait for another production batch or something.

JohannesB

~B.

Wouldn't it be easy to ascertain if a figure is legit, before buying? I certainly will not buy via Amazon. I will buy from Mesozoic Life themselves, if possible.

Concavenator

avatar_The Darknix @The Darknix not sure I understand... will this figure be exclusive to people who support the campaign, and nobody else? If the 250 figures will go to the 250 people who backed it (if the campaign is succesful, hopefully so) then how is it possible that Blayken said he wanted to offer selling the figure from more retailers (Amazon included) afterwards? Where would the funds come from if the funds acquired from this campaign are aimed at the production of 250 models? Was he referring to extra figures (as if the goal of 250 is reached, and the campaign ends with 300 reserves, the 50 copies left will be sold at other retailers)? In any case, that would still probably make this figure extremely rare and difficult to obtain, much more so than the so-called "limited" (still available as of now lol) edition 2019 Papo Spino.

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on May 09, 2022, 08:13:54 PM
avatar_The Darknix @The Darknix not sure I understand... will this figure be exclusive to people who support the campaign, and nobody else? If the 250 figures will go to the 250 people who backed it (if the campaign is succesful, hopefully so) then how is it possible that Blayken said he wanted to offer selling the figure from more retailers (Amazon included) afterwards? Where would the funds come from if the funds acquired from this campaign are aimed at the production of 250 models? Was he referring to extra figures (as if the goal of 250 is reached, and the campaign ends with 300 reserves, the 50 copies left will be sold at other retailers)? In any case, that would still probably make this figure extremely rare and difficult to obtain, much more so than the so-called "limited" (still available as of now lol) edition 2019 Papo Spino.

I believe it's the unpainted version that's exclusive to Kickstarter backers. The regular painted version will be available to everyone else afterwards if the campaign is successful. As for how many copies Mesozoic Life plans to produce outside of the ones pledged for on Kickstarter, it's up to Mesozoic Life to decide.

The Darknix

Answering to @concavenador it is very simple, the minimum limit of this campaign is 250 figures and a maximum of 800 units to reserve in this campaign. But if the campaign is successful, many more units can be created according to public demand, and it will be those extra units that would be sold through amazon and others if the campaign is successful.

The only limited figure in this campaign its the Unpainted version of Ramses being only 200 pieces.

I hope theres not misunderstanding

TheDarknix

Concavenator

avatar_The Darknix @The Darknix let's see if I understand...if the campaign ends with more than 250 reserves yet less than 800 then all of them will be sent to the backers, but if it ends up with more than 800 figures reserved, it would be those extra units that will be sold afterwards from other retailers? Would the figures to be sold after the campaign have the same price?

The figure is advertised to be at 1:35 scale, but it's actually bigger than that, isn't it?

JohannesB

Quote from: Concavenator on May 09, 2022, 10:38:40 PM
P.S. The figure is advertised to be at 1:35 scale, but it's actually bigger than that, isn't it?

I had the same impression at first, but I think 1:35 is right (judging from the estimate of 15.5 meter).

Fembrogon

I recall Blayken mentioning in the past that he had tried to setup a page to sell the figure on Amazon, but Amazon denied it. My guess is somehow if the Kickstarter is successful, Amazon will approve the product and then they can make the figure more accessible.
That's total speculation on my part, mind you. I have no idea how arrangements with Amazon work.

The Darknix

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator if the campaign is a success and people want this part and the demand is over, Blayken would invest in producing more since the main goal of the campaign is to create the steel mold which will help us create more figures.

And talking about the scale some authors have estimated the Spinosaurus in more then 15 meters and some 16 meters the Spinosaurus from the project its like 15.5 m approximately.
TheDarknix

Psittacoraptor

Already at 190 with 28 days to go. The project might get funded well before the deadline at this pace.

Faelrin

Just about 3000 euros left needed at this point. It's doing very well. I think the much smaller goal was to its benefit this time around. I'm glad to see this almost there, and so much time left too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Quote from: The Darknix on May 10, 2022, 12:49:46 AM
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator if the campaign is a success and people want this part and the demand is over, Blayken would invest in producing more since the main goal of the campaign is to create the steel mold which will help us create more figures.

And talking about the scale some authors have estimated the Spinosaurus in more then 15 meters and some 16 meters the Spinosaurus from the project its like 15.5 m approximately.

Good to know, thanks! It would be great if this figure was sold through more retailers, although I would also prefer to buy it directly from Mesozoic Life themselves rather than from Amazon.

Quote from: Faelrin on May 10, 2022, 04:52:58 PM
Just about 3000 euros left needed at this point. It's doing very well. I think the much smaller goal was to its benefit this time around. I'm glad to see this almost there, and so much time left too.

Yeah, it was to be expected that setting a realistic goal would help a lot. The previous ones weren't very realistic.
Glad it's going so well, looks like this time the campaign will be a success. But that point is still to be reached, so I hope everyone shares it as much as they can, it has never been so close as it is now!

Duna

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: