You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mesozoic Life Project - Kickstarter 2022

Started by Thialfi, May 07, 2022, 11:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on May 14, 2022, 02:18:19 AM
With 24 days to go, plenty of time to attract more backers. And since the project is now successfully funded, hopefully this will instill confidence in those who are still on the fence to support the project.

Yep, there have been some new backers since the project got funded. Hopefully in sight of this support Blayken will decide to finally sell this beautiful Spinosaurus through more retailers. I imagine that would also be positive for their company, as more people would get to know about them.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Darko2300 on May 13, 2022, 07:45:48 PM
Well, I just pledged to put us over. I am gonna sit and think about this for awhile, though. I still have major reservations, and I can't shake the feeling that the team has bitten off way more than they can chew (and just haven't realized it yet).  :-\

Yeah, I have the same sense of vague foreboding.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

JohannesB

I know it is useless and irrational to just rely on hope (but that's my only option, because I know virtually nothing about doing business), but I really hope this will be a success, for the company's sake, as well as for us fans.

Flaffy

Well, the 2022 Kickstarter has already surpassed the funding of the 2021 one, and shows no signs of slowing down!
I'm optimistic, but also slightly cautious considering the factory they're using. Hopefully all goes well with production, and no drama will surface.

Another thing, I wonder if Mesozoic Life is open to producing accessories for the Spinosaurus figure. I recall avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres saying in a previous thread that any Kem Kem fish would be greatly appreciated, and to that I agree. Would absolutely love to see a proper Onchopristis figure (ideally still alive), rather than just an oversized extant sawfish. Notice the presence of dorsal spikes, and the caudal positioning of the dorsal fin, along with many other minute differences that I'm sure Halichoeres can explain far better than I.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

KrazyKaprosuchus

What! I didn't know Onchopristis had dorsal spikes. Shows how little I know about prehistoric fish...  :P

Halichoeres

They were enlarged denticles (placoid scales), so histologically they were essentially teeth. You see the same thing on thornback skates. I reviewed the DamToys Onchopristis for the blog (https://dinotoyblog.com/2020/07/24/onchopristis-paleontology-world-by-damtoys/) and included a fair amount of detail on the animal's anatomy. It would be amazing to have a nice accurate Onchopristis as a stretch goal for this campaign.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

paintingdinos

Finally backed it. I hemmed and hawed over which to get... painted or not. I like the paint workup they have, but I'm sort of hedging my bets that maaaaybe the unpainted will ship out sooner. Either way, hope all goes well for the project!

Concavenator

The figure is great, but these Mesozoic Life clips are no slouch either:

Concavenator

More than 300 people supporting the campaign already, with 12 days still left. This is looking good.

Flaffy

Unfortunately Kevin has yet to respond to my question on whether stretch goal accessories are possible... :'(
Would love to have an accurate Onchopristis in my collection.

SenSx

Stegotyranno420

I am also a bit worried and cautious. On the fence on buying it now or waiting until it arrives on Amazon (so in the case it gets broken because of shipping I can return it, which hopefully will not be a problem)  :-\

Darko2300

I backed out of it myself. I hold no ill will towards the creators - as I've said before, I just think they've bitten off more than they can chew.

The Darknix

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 17, 2022, 04:12:10 PMOnchopristis was spiky???
Yes it was it change a lot actually it wasnt so big.
TheDarknix

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 01, 2022, 07:55:54 PMI am also a bit worried and cautious. On the fence on buying it now or waiting until it arrives on Amazon (so in the case it gets broken because of shipping I can return it, which hopefully will not be a problem)  :-\
Wait, has it been confirmed it will be sold through Amazon at some point?

Darko2300

Quote from: Bread on June 03, 2022, 01:26:28 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 01, 2022, 07:55:54 PMI am also a bit worried and cautious. On the fence on buying it now or waiting until it arrives on Amazon (so in the case it gets broken because of shipping I can return it, which hopefully will not be a problem)  :-\
Wait, has it been confirmed it will be sold through Amazon at some point?

No - the creator stated that he hoped that would be a possibility, but again - I'm not sure he has any idea of how to go about getting it done. It really is his first time at all of this.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Darko2300 on June 01, 2022, 08:02:05 PMI backed out of it myself. I hold no ill will towards the creators - as I've said before, I just think they've bitten off more than they can chew.

That's how I feel, as well. It's one thing to make a resin prototype of a model. It's another thing to mass produce it in PVC and distribute it worldwide to hundreds of backers. As it stands, the campaign page is frustratingly vague about how they're going to do the latter.
Check out my customs thread!

JohannesB

Wouldn't it be better for him to skip middlemen like Amazon, who will only want a piece of the action? (I won't buy from Amazon anyhow.) Well, I can't do much about it but wait and see...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: