News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I like any of the detail materials (frosted, ultra, or plastic) because they're the best for painting. I'm probably going to get hate for saying this, but I don't like the WSF materials at all. Fine details are lost and it's horrid to paint. It's basically like painting coarse sandpaper, and it sucks up all the paint until about two layers later.

I started out with WSF material but I didn't like the way it absorbed paint, so now I buy all my prints in detail whenever possible. The only really advantage is that WSF has over the detail material is that it's cheaper and stronger.

The best detail comes from FUD (frosted ultra detail) but it's also the most expensive.

YMMV of course.

Tyto_Theropod

Thanks TQ, I'll bear that in mind :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

tyrantqueen

I'm confused- there are a couple of prints I wanted to order from Shapeways, but now the option to order them in my preferred material (detail) has disappeared. The only options left are WSF and BSF :( Most of the prints that were effected were by Aaron Doyle and Galileo Hernandez. I wonder what happened.

mb-cg

I received an e-mail from Shapeways saying the materials that haven't been bought were going to be disabled. So only the materials that have been printed successfully are still available. If someone has the same issue with one of my models, just let me know.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's odd...doe sit cost them to have those materials as an option ?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 23, 2014, 02:30:32 AM
I don't know, but I hope it can be sorted out :-\ I really wanted to get Aaron Doyle's Anzu in frosted detail.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 23, 2014, 02:54:46 AM
I don't know, but I hope it can be sorted out :-\ I really wanted to get Aaron Doyle's Anzu in frosted detail.

I'm hoping that one sticks around as well..I'm trying to decide to make one of them or the more popular Oviraptor. It would be a great help to have a 3D model of one.

mb-cg

You can make available the materials you want for free, as long as the model meets the material requirements. That's why I don't understand that decision from Shapeways and other changes they have done lately. To make available the disabled materials you need to go model by model enabling each material and setting the markup again, in my case I would need to check over 90 models...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 23, 2014, 08:31:24 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 23, 2014, 02:54:46 AM

I'm hoping that one sticks around as well..I'm trying to decide to make one of them or the more popular Oviraptor. It would be a great help to have a 3D model of one.
The Anzu is not available in any detail any more. It's WSF or BSF. That includes all three sizes.

QuoteYou can make available the materials you want for free, as long as the model meets the material requirements. That's why I don't understand that decision from Shapeways and other changes they have done lately. To make available the disabled materials you need to go model by model enabling each material and setting the markup again, in my case I would need to check over 90 models...
I don't understand why they did it either. Bad Shapeways, bad >:(

Gorgonzola

They did it in the name of "streamlining the experience for shoppers", but all I hear is "We still haven't gotten around to doing batch edits for your models" BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I WANT.

You'd figure if they cleaned up the front, they'd allow the store owner to, say, select a bunch of models then determine materials and markup for them across the board, but I've yet to see that. At least they put in a wall thickness check so it makes the whole model approval process less of a russian roulette game.

mb-cg

Quote from: Gorgonzola on June 23, 2014, 08:03:45 PM
They did it in the name of "streamlining the experience for shoppers", but all I hear is "We still haven't gotten around to doing batch edits for your models" BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I WANT.

You'd figure if they cleaned up the front, they'd allow the store owner to, say, select a bunch of models then determine materials and markup for them across the board, but I've yet to see that. At least they put in a wall thickness check so it makes the whole model approval process less of a russian roulette game.

I want it too, the actual system of editing the models is a pain. And they also have changed the way of setting up the prices, using the total amount instead of the markup... Streamlining the experience for shoppers? and ruining the experience for shop owners ¬¬'

SpittersForEver

Hey everyone,
I was wondering how big the mb-cg parasaurolophus is.
It will be my first shape ways purchase and am looking ford to it.
Thanks in advance.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Which scale ? There should be a size listed on the Shapeways page though.

SpittersForEver

It's 1/40 and but I found it a little on the small side for me. Anyone know any of the larger one's?

mb-cg

Quote from: SpittersForEver on June 24, 2014, 07:07:49 AM
It's 1/40 and but I found it a little on the small side for me. Anyone know any of the larger one's?

Note that the sizes you can see on Shapeways are from the posed figures, in a neutral pose the 1/40 Parasaurolophus would be 25cm/9.84" long.

SpittersForEver

Quote from: mb-cg on June 24, 2014, 03:49:05 PM
Quote from: SpittersForEver on June 24, 2014, 07:07:49 AM

Note that the sizes you can see on Shapeways are from the posed figures, in a neutral pose the 1/40 Parasaurolophus would be 25cm/9.84" long.

okay I think I'll buy him.

tyrantqueen

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/16615-project-caterpillar-behind-the-scenes-in-how-were-solving-one-of-the-biggest-challenges-with-3d-printing.html

Apparently they are trialling a new option called print it anyway- one can choose to print a model even if it goes beyond their printing limitations. The drawback is that if the model arrives damaged in some way, they will not refund your money.

I am grateful for the service that Shapeways offers but I do not think the service they offer is perfect. In a perfect world I would want prices to go down and details to improve.

stargatedalek

I'm very new to 3D printing but to me it seems as though shapeways is a bit high price for the quality
but I can't really say since I'm not familiar with material costs
I can really see the advantage to a home 3D printer

a family member of mine will be getting a home 3D printer within the next year or two (I forget the exact details)
so if it turns out to work very well I may have to start taking commissions on (small!) models people want printed

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 09, 2014, 10:39:49 PM
https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/16615-project-caterpillar-behind-the-scenes-in-how-were-solving-one-of-the-biggest-challenges-with-3d-printing.html

Apparently they are trialling a new option called print it anyway- one can choose to print a model even if it goes beyond their printing limitations. The drawback is that if the model arrives damaged in some way, they will not refund your money.

I am grateful for the service that Shapeways offers but I do not think the service they offer is perfect. In a perfect world I would want prices to go down and details to improve.

Boy howdy, you and me both.

Sad thing is, I don't see much use in the print it anyway option for the most part - the more I've worked with them the more it's become clear that, yeah, unfortunately their restrictions make sense for the most part. The only bit that bugs me is their escape hole nonsense - it never seems to be enough.

I would love to see FD and FUD drop dramatically in price because those are the two that I think are worth it material wise - ESPECIALLY the FUD material.

I'm still eyeing a Formlab1 for home use...I'm determined to one day being able to 3D print models from home, clean them up, then make resin casts for interested parties. It can't be more expensive than what Shapeways is doing from what I imagine (though it may be slower.)

shiftdel

Hello all, first post here (what a find is this forum, for a dinosaur lover!!).

Some of my models

Yangchuanosaurus FUD, from mb-cg in 1/72 scale (it is a bit overscaled though):

Centrosaurus and Chasmosaurus russelli FUD, mb-cg, 1/72 scale:

Parasaurolophus WSF polished, mb-cg, 1/72 scale:

These ones are not available to buy, I made them from Dinoraul´s 3D models, with his permission - Eremotherium, Mammuth, Allosaurus, Arctodus, and Einiosaurus, all in 1/72 scale FD (except Allosaurus which is in Detail Plastic):

Detail of the Mammuth and Eremotherium:

Now, I just need to get some time to paint them, and all the other dinos on my collection...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: