News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll try to remember that when I order some prototypes of our first Shapeways dino piece...gotta have the detail !

Blade-of-the-Moon

Here's a quick treat of a project we have in progress :

Pachyrhinosaurus

Very nice! I can see people buying it to paint like yours. Is this your first digital model?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 23, 2014, 02:39:39 AM
Very nice! I can see people buying it to paint like yours. Is this your first digital model?

Glad you like him ! I hope to have a couple prototypes painted up by different artists to advertise with so they will be looking like our mascot, Big Al !   

Yes and no..yes in that I commissioned this one by our own Andrew Sides and no in that I do have digital models from other artists I've collected..lol

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2014, 03:16:49 AM

Glad you like him ! I hope to have a couple prototypes painted up by different artists to advertise with so they will be looking like our mascot, Big Al !   

Yes and no..yes in that I commissioned this one by our own Andrew Sides and no in that I do have digital models from other artists I've collected..lol
If this will be a shapeways piece be very careful of that one foot, as it will likely break alot in printing and cause alot of issues. Aaron Doyle went through that same thing with his psittacosaurus, so make sure the joining area is strong enough and quite secure
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 23, 2014, 03:46:10 AM

If this will be a shapeways piece be very careful of that one foot, as it will likely break alot in printing and cause alot of issues. Aaron Doyle went through that same thing with his psittacosaurus, so make sure the joining area is strong enough and quite secure

The foot attached to the base ? The Allosaurus and the base will two separate pieces that you order and then glue together so there won't be any stress on it I don't think during printing or shipping. Once painted and glued on it should be light enough to avoid any issues I think.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2014, 07:36:53 AM

The foot attached to the base ? The Allosaurus and the base will two separate pieces that you order and then glue together so there won't be any stress on it I don't think during printing or shipping. Once painted and glued on it should be light enough to avoid any issues I think.
That would definitely resolve the problem , although depending on size and so forth that could be an expensive model .What size are you considering for now?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Nice Allosaurus. It would be awesome if Gorgonzola released the model as a kit too.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 23, 2014, 08:14:06 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2014, 07:36:53 AM

That would definitely resolve the problem , although depending on size and so forth that could be an expensive model .What size are you considering for now?

I think around 5" if stretched out is what we ballparked.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Oh, my mistake. I thought you were the one who had made him!  ;) I thought it looked a lot like Sides' style.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 23, 2014, 08:58:19 PM

Oh, my mistake. I thought you were the one who had made him!  ;) I thought it looked a lot like Sides' style.

I know, just teasing you a bit.. lol  :)) Andrew did an awesome job on this guy, I'll have a final design pic soon to share !

Nebuloid

Finally finished painting my Dicraeosaurus by RareBreed :

Tried 4 kinds of matte varnish, which all turned out to be too glossy... So now it's partially varnished and I think that's how it will stay !

tyrantqueen

QuoteTried 4 kinds of matte varnish, which all turned out to be too glossy... So now it's partially varnished and I think that's how it will stay !
I've been reading around on various modelling blogs and Winsor and Newton's Galeria matt varnish is a good one to try. I've used it and it dries nearly completely matt. Just make sure you give it a good shake before you use it.

Nebuloid

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 27, 2014, 05:21:01 PM
QuoteTried 4 kinds of matte varnish, which all turned out to be too glossy... So now it's partially varnished and I think that's how it will stay !
I've been reading around on various modelling blogs and Winsor and Newton's Galeria matt varnish is a good one to try. I've used it and it dries nearly completely matt. Just make sure you give it a good shake before you use it.

Yeah I read that too, went down to my local shop and they had all kinds of Winsor&Newton products, except for the varnish... May have to order online in the future, thanks !

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm proud to introduce our first Shapeways Dinosaur Park figure ! Big Al ! :

Here are the links for Al and his base :
https://www.shapeways.com/model/2015478/backyard-terrors-allosaurus-1-72.html?modelId=2015478&materialId=6
https://www.shapeways.com/model/2015508/backyard-terrors-allosaurus-base.html?modelId=2015508&materialId=6

All proceeds from our part of the sale ( minus shapeways fees ) will go help our Park here grow and expand!

Andrew and myself are fairly confident there will be no issues but you never know, if you get them please feel free to share !

John

I've seen the paint test for the Backyard Terrors Allosaurus.Very nice. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Tyto_Theropod

I'm very keen to get by jammy fingers on some Shapeways models, but I have a question:

When I got onto the site, everything was priced in Euros, so, as a UK resident, I assumed I'd have to convert the prices to GBP. Then I saw the little union jack at the top corner. I clicked it and it informed me that the prices were in "UK Currency - Euro". So now I have no idea whether they've got the symbol wrong and actually mean GBP (£) or whether the items really are priced in Euros. Any ideas?
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

tyrantqueen

Yes, it's Euros. The store is located in the Netherlands and any money they take out of your account will be converted into Euros. I've bought lots of stuff from the site and it's always been in the Euro currency.

Tyto_Theropod

Thank you tyrantqueen, much appreciated! Now, what material to choose...
______________________________________________________________________________________

Tyto_Theropod

Actually, that would be good as a serious question for a Shapeways n00b to ask. Which materials give the best detail? Which are paintable (because for me painting dinosaurs would be half the fun :D)? Should I be paying to for Ultra Detail when WSF has its advantages? What are your experiences with the materials?

I'd really appreciate opinions from you guys :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: