News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

POLL: What are your favorite toy companies?

Started by Seijun, March 18, 2012, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite dinosaur toy companies?

Wild Safari
Carnegie
Collecta
Papo
Schleich
Bullyland
Kinto Favorite
Mojo
Battat
Invicta
Toyway (WWD & NHM)
Kaiyodo
Colorata
Sega
Kenner/Hasbro (JP)
Tyco (Dino Riders)
Playskool
Starlux
Marx
Other (specify in comments)

John

Quote from: Takama on August 24, 2014, 03:17:35 AM
Well My tastes had changed since this Poll was first made in 2012.

Back then, I never ever thought I would ever get my hands on a Battat Dinosaur, so I never even tried to collect them because they were rare and expensive.  Now that there back, and easily available at a store that I shop at, they are my favorite company

My next favorite is Geoworld (Yes really)

my third is CollectA
Now you can see what we mean when some of us call Battat's dinosaurs some of the best ever made by anyone.Now with the re-releases coming,you'll get to see the rest at a FAR BETTER price than what has been on eBay in recent years. :))
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Takama

The reason I like CollectA and Geoworld is because of there abundance of species.

I hope that Battat could get to this abundance in time. Already there's 30 figures slated from them (That includes the Re issues).   I just hope that the line does good, so it gets many species, but I might be wishing for too much ::)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on August 24, 2014, 05:35:18 AM
The reason I like CollectA and Geoworld is because of there abundance of species.

I hope that Battat could get to this abundance in time. Already there's 30 figures slated from them (That includes the Re issues).   I just hope that the line does good, so it gets many species, but I might be wishing for too much ::)
Battat certainly has a solid sculpter and some backing to stay the course so the future seems bright for them. The only troublesome thing I see for their future is being limited at least for now to 1/40 which somewhat leaves them repeating the more common and already done species, rather than being able to bust lose and do some of the less common dinosaurs. There are so many less derived and less well known dinosaurs out there that could be offered....if the scale thing werent in the way.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 24, 2014, 06:12:15 AM
Quote from: Takama on August 24, 2014, 05:35:18 AM

Battat certainly has a solid sculpter and some backing to stay the course so the future seems bright for them. The only troublesome thing I see for their future is being limited at least for now to 1/40 which somewhat leaves them repeating the more common and already done species, rather than being able to bust lose and do some of the less common dinosaurs. There are so many less derived and less well known dinosaurs out there that could be offered....if the scale thing werent in the way.

I think Dan(Lorusso) said he is waiting until we see how everything sells before he can see if they let him tackle Smaller species.    For now I can think of a lot of species for 1:40      Lurdosaurus is one I want to see made

Arul

Daspletodave

Favorite is my #1, followed by Battat, then Carnegie/Safari.

Arul

Im sorry...what is the different between carnegie and wild safari, by safari ltd ?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ARUL on November 10, 2014, 09:44:21 PM
Im sorry...what is the different between carnegie and wild safari, by safari ltd ?
Different sculptors and a different target audience. They're both owned by Safari Ltd. Carnegie's toys are produced in collaboration with the Pittsburgh museum and their stuff is usually aimed more at adult collectors (although all of their toys are still child friendly).

stargatedalek

ironically (lately) its been Wild Safari that puts out the more up to date figures

Arul

ohh thank you so thats why carnegie's figures have  a lot of fans, including me  :D they have to produce more and more active to communicate with their fans    :))

laticauda

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 10, 2014, 11:31:47 PM
Different sculptors and a different target audience. They're both owned by Safari Ltd. Carnegie's toys are produced in collaboration with the Pittsburgh museum and their stuff is usually aimed more at adult collectors (although all of their toys are still child friendly).

Right now, I would say there is no difference between Carnegie and Wild Safari, other than Carnegie's tails touch the ground and Wild Safaris do not.  I guess the paint job tends to be a little more cleaner and intense as well. They need to keep the accuracy of Carnegie, but add some Papo fine details, and Poof, they would be Amazing.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: laticauda on November 11, 2014, 09:59:06 PM

Right now, I would say there is no difference between Carnegie and Wild Safari, other than Carnegie's tails touch the ground and Wild Safaris do not.  I guess the paint job tends to be a little more cleaner and intense as well. They need to keep the accuracy of Carnegie, but add some Papo fine details, and Poof, they would be Amazing.
Actually I think there are lots of differences. Mostly it's down to the individual style of the artist. Forest Roger's dinosaurs tend to be very slender in their construction. She does not sculpt individual scales but gives them wrinkles instead (which is more accurate given the size of the toy, you would not be able to see them). Conversely, all the WSes have individual scales sculpted onto them.

If you gave me a toy from each line, I bet I would be able to tell them apart by the style of sculpting alone.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 11, 2014, 10:13:31 PM
Quote from: laticauda on November 11, 2014, 09:59:06 PM

Actually I think there are lots of differences. Mostly it's down to the individual style of the artist. Forest Roger's dinosaurs tend to be very slender in their construction. She does not sculpt individual scales but gives them wrinkles instead (which is more accurate given the size of the toy, you would not be able to see them). Conversely, all the WSes have individual scales sculpted onto them.

If you gave me a toy from each line, I bet I would be able to tell them apart by the style of sculpting alone.

I think it depends in part on who the sculptor is or was. Forest and Doug have a very different style from each but for awhile there whoever was sculpting the WS models produced some that looked very much like the Carnegie models. The Nigersaurus and Postosuchus for example.

Dinosaur_Ark

My vote goes to PAPO, SAFARI and Bullyland

www.dinosaurark.org.uk

suspsy

CollectA is my favourite company, hands down. They have the biggest range of prehistoric animals, yes, but what really amazes me is just how much they've improved since their ignoble beginning. Their earliest dinosaur models are as awful as Schleich's, arguably more. But ever since then they've been earnestly doing paleontological research and keeping up to date with all the latest findings and theories. The last three years in particular have been fantastic. And the 2015 line looks to be the best yet. I am 36 years old and I am as excited and impatient about acquiring the Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex, the Pliosaurus, and the Temnodontosaurus(es) as I was about acquiring the Dino-Riders T. rex back in 1989.

This is not to say that CollectA is perfect. There are still improvements to be made, especially with regard to plastic quality. But overall, I consider them the best.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

triceratops83

Safari is my favourite. Accurate, nice size, aesthetically pleasing and personally I think their level of detail is as nice as Papo's. Battat and Invicta tie for the best same scale series. I've really come to respect Collecta, though. I think one day they may rival Safari. When I first got into collecting I thought Collecta was very cheap looking but every year they've improved to the point of being among the best. The Alamosaurus was their first great figure. Carnegie's got some wonderful sculpts but somehow never managed the detail of regular Safaris. My mind might change when I get my hands on the re-released Battats, though - I only have one at the moment.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

ignite444

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 19, 2012, 12:45:46 PM
1. Favorite
2. Papo
3. Carnegie
I like CollectA too, for their diversity and improving sculpt quality, but I hope they (and think they should) keep striving for improvement.

QuoteInvicta are no. 1 for me.
Since we're sharing our views, why do so many people like Invicta? I personally don't like them at all. Even as retro figures, they don't do anything for me. I guess it's probably the monochrome colour scheme and the sculpt style. I hate the Invicta Baryonyx, sorry :x

Don't kill me (I know there are many Invicta fans on the board). It's kind of what makes dinosaur collecting so fun, the fact that one person may hate one figure, but another will love it.  :)

Don't worry, I don't like the Invicta figures either.

My top favorites...

1. CollectA (Surprised? I bet, lol.)
2. Safari (includes Wild Safari and Carnegie)
3. Papo
4. Favorite
5. Rebor (They are low on the list due to only having 2 figures on the market at this point in time.)
6. Fame Master Ent. (for their 4D dinosaur puzzles)
7. Bullyland
8. GeoWorld (their Jurassic Egg puzzles are higher up though)
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

tyrantqueen

QuoteDon't worry, I don't like the Invicta figures either.
Now that's an old post. My opinion hasn't changed though. I still don't like Invicta but I try to be a bit less obnoxious about it these days >:D

ignite444

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 14, 2014, 08:54:42 AM
QuoteDon't worry, I don't like the Invicta figures either.
Now that's an old post. My opinion hasn't changed though. I still don't like Invicta but I try to be a bit less obnoxious about it these days >:D

Ha, I didn't even look at the date of the post. *Snort*

I also like Sideshow, but those are not toys. XD
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

triceratops83

I think if you take into account everything and not just dinosaurs, Collecta and Safari tie for the best company. Both companies release a huge range of beautiful and accurate animals, and they don't just do figures, but trees, toobs etc. No one else can touch these guys.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: