News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Thank you for all your hard work, V @vampiredesign , much appreciated!  :)

Well, to me, it looks like the Dilophosaurus clearly has lips. Maybe V @vampiredesign was referring to the impossibility of giving it an articulated jaw, now that lips are present? Guess we will just have to wait and see. Quite hyped to see this Dilo finished.

As for Allosaurus... it's always been my favorite dinosaur. But surprisingly, I don't have any in my collection right now. The PNSO is missing the characteristic enlarged thumb claw and lacks lips. The Safari is also missing the big thumbclaw and to me it looks too heavily built. The Haolonggood has a wrong skull shape, misses the big thumbclaw, lacks lips and has those big spikes on the hips. The Mesozoo, while unambiguously has the enlarged thumbclaw, has oversized scales, lacks lips and the paintjob is very sloppy. And the CollectA is too small for me and has that huge stamp on its belly. This is one situation where I feel like I'll hold out for one of the Creative Beast versions, hopefully a 1:35 version, as it will be the best version upon release (unless anyone else comes in). For me, the ideal solution would really be an Eofauna Allosaurus though, as (if their Tyrannosaurus is anything to go by) it would have lips and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't miss the enlarged thumbclaw. But yikes, maybe I would have to wait until 2039 or thereabouts, so if I'm desperate I'll grab one of the Creative Beast ones I think.

Please note that I'm not saying any of the aforementioned Allosaurus figures are bad - they aren't, at all. But every single one of them has at least a known flaw, and I really want to have an Allosaurus that's as good as possible, since it's my favorite dinosaur. Other than that, if some of you are looking for an Allosaurus figure but don't need one that's literally perfect (I mean, not including anatomical inaccuracies that come from action figure nature), I think you'd be good with one of those I mentioned.

Quiversaurus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , thank you. You've just verbalised every sentiment I have about the current Allosaurus offerings, including 1. that it's also one of my favourite species that I really want an accurate representation of, and 2. that I hope Eofauna will do one, because their style is similar to the PNSO/HLG styles.

I am not a fan of BOTM's articulation though, so that's one point we may differ on heh.

As for the thumb claw, DinosDragos replied in a comment on his PNSO Allosaurus review that apparently not all Allosaurus fossils have that enlarged thumb claw... It's a thread I've been pursuing but if anyone else knows anything about this, please share!

SidB

Quote from: quiversaurus on July 29, 2023, 02:48:45 AMavatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , thank you. You've just verbalised every sentiment I have about the current Allosaurus offerings, including 1. that it's also one of my favourite species that I really want an accurate representation of, and 2. that I hope Eofauna will do one, because their style is similar to the PNSO/HLG styles.

I am not a fan of BOTM's articulation though, so that's one point we may differ on heh.

As for the thumb claw, DinosDragos replied in a comment on his PNSO Allosaurus review that apparently not all Allosaurus fossils have that enlarged thumb claw... It's a thread I've been pursuing but if anyone else knows anything about this, please share!

I too didn't know that some Allosaurus fossils lacked the enlarged thumb claw. Is that a fact for representatives of a specific species or more than one species?

Leyster

He's right... or at least, this feature is not so developed in all specimens (an enlarged thumb claws is basically the default state of theropods and Allosaurus is not like a spinosaur or megaraptora anyway). This is MOR 693, basis for the PNSO model

I suppose this variation could be explained with individual variation or (as for forelimb lenght) with most specimens being composites.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on July 29, 2023, 12:09:10 PMHe's right... or at least, this feature is not so developed in all specimens (an enlarged thumb claws is basically the default state of theropods and Allosaurus is not like a spinosaur or megaraptora anyway). This is MOR 693, basis for the PNSO model

I suppose this variation could be explained with individual variation or (as for forelimb lenght) with most specimens being composites.
That makes sense. Once again, thanks for 'coming to the rescue' L @Leyster !

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Renecito on July 27, 2023, 06:28:04 AMDilophosaurus prototype

Seems like the Dilo won't have an articulated jaw, based on what HLG posted on Instagram. It's a smart move I feel,  for how small the model is.

Bread

Smart move in my opinion.

Lips + closed mouth is an instant pickup for me.

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Renecito on July 27, 2023, 06:28:04 AMDilophosaurus prototype

This looks unbelievably good.

I would prefer a feathered Dilophosaurus in general (edit: sorry to repeat myself, forgot I said that earlier, and with spirited replies too), but this is probably the best rendition I've seen regardless.

Can't wait to see the colorways.

SenSx

I'm in the articulated jaw team,
but lips > articulated jaw

thomasw100

Paleofiguras just posted some pictures of a new Haolonggood Megalodon.

Over9K

bmathison1972

I actually like that megalodon, and I like the water base, as well. Not sure I am ready to replace the recent CollectA one so soon, however.

TheImmortalEye

Not a big fan of megalodon in general , esp the "upsize white shark" design types.
But amazing haolonggood just opened the floodgates to Marine prehistoric animals of all kinds

Bread

Megalodon is such an overdone species of prehistoric shark.

But if this opens the door for prehistoric marine animals, I am curious to see what's next.

Gwangi

The jaw articulation makes it look like a ventriloquist dummy, and megalodon is definitely overdone. That said, I don't actually have a megalodon yet and should probably get one, maybe it will be this one. I get why megalodon is popular but there are so many more interesting looking prehistoric sharks.

SenSx

Looks ok, it will depend of the size.
I alwready own the PNSO which is still not big enough for 1/35, do we know if this one is ?

JimoAi

any words on the dimensions of the Megalodon?

ceratopsian

Well that was a surprise!  I do like that water base. Not my collecting area but it might sell well.

Sim

It looks well made!  I'm not interested in megalodon, but from what I've seen figures of it sell well so it makes sense to make one.  I hope Haolonggood will make Hydrotherosaurus and Edestus!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have the PNSO and the GIANT AAA great white so I'm good on MEGs. Base is ok, kind of reminds me of all those beach souvenirs?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: