News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

65 Movie

Started by Carnoking, December 14, 2022, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

New movie from the writers of A Quiet Place starring Adam Driver and produced by Sam Raimi. It's nice to see the stranglehold the Jurassic franchise has on Hollywood loosening but everything about this trailer from the concept to the designs feels generic upon first impressions.

Still, I have some faith in the creatives behind it and I don't doubt it'll be good for at least some popcorn entertainment.

Faelrin

Not a fan of the outdated creature designs. Jurassic has an excuse, but new stuff should be putting research in, especially anything to do with our planet's past. Honestly with how good Prehistoric Planet's designs were, anything falling short of that is going to disappoint me. I don't care that it is a movie. Honestly with a movie they have more of a budget to do it justice.

Honestly the vibe I got from the trailer was that this is a higher budget version of that awful Jurassic Planet film.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Takama

Im Surprised Anything NOT Jurassic World is getting released

But yeah, if this were takeing place in eaths past, DO more research on the animals. Hollywood!!!!!

Carnoking

I was willing to forgive the outdated designs in the first half of the trailer seeing as I thought they were going in a "Planet of Dinosaurs"/convergent evolution direction but turns out I was wrong...

Gwangi

Pros:
Adam Driver as the star. The man is an excellent actor, one of the few good things in the latest Star Wars trilogy.
Some decent establishing shots, landscapes, and cinematography.
It's a dinosaur movie that isn't tied to the Jurassic Park franchise.
Appears to have good tension and horror elements. Not sure that this one will be for the kids. 

Cons:
The dinosaur designs pretty much kill this movie for me. I'll still watch it but wow, these dinosaurs look awful. At least with the Jurassic movies you know what to expect. Pros like the cinematography and landscapes lose points because these are the creatures that we have to look at.

Stegotyranno420

Reminds me somewhat of the premise in Carnivores(game series)

suspsy

Oh joy, more featherless dromaeosaurs. So basically Jurassic World set in the past with a smaller cast. When it comes to dinosaurs, Hollywood remains firmly stuck in 1993. An insanely easy pass.

Also, someone was clearly unaware that 65 million years ago was after the KT extinction event. There wouldn't be any non-avian dinosaurs to speak of. Or much of anything else.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Carnoking

66 must not have had the same ring  ???

Gwangi

Should have just went for a Planet of Dinosaurs remake, and named it that.

CityRaptor

Meehhh.

Also crash landing on prehistoric Earth and searching for stasis pods? Ripped off from Beast Wars!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

YesIAmaDinosaur

I love posting here because of how intense everyone is about the science haha. It's one of my favorite things venturing more into dinosaurs on the internet in general.

With that said, I'm always able to suspend disbelief for a movie, I've been doing it since I was in 1st grade, so why not now? For me, it looks entertaining enough.

Can someone explain how you can tell that the animals aren't correct? The trailer I saw they were all but mostly obscured. Maybe it isn't as bad as you think?
@DramaticoRising on YouTube and Instagram

Lynx

Quote from: DramaticoRising on December 14, 2022, 06:20:42 PMI love posting here because of how intense everyone is about the science haha. It's one of my favorite things venturing more into dinosaurs on the internet in general.

With that said, I'm always able to suspend disbelief for a movie, I've been doing it since I was in 1st grade, so why not now? For me, it looks entertaining enough.

Can someone explain how you can tell that the animals aren't correct? The trailer I saw they were all but mostly obscured. Maybe it isn't as bad as you think?

Afaik there was a scene where the 'raptors' were completely bald, wrist also being bent in an angle it could not manage.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

I will also add that, from the brief looks we got of it, the (what I assume to be T. rex) looks a bit more in line with the fantasy designs of the V. rex we see in Peter Jackson's King Kong with the crocodilian hide, stocky muzzle, and crooked exposed teeth.

suspsy

Putting aside inaccuracies, it also looks painfully cheap. More like a low budget SyFy special on Saturday night than an actual theatrical release.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Yeah that's what I was reminded of as well, and between the shameless JP raptor copy, it just feels so uninspired to me.

It makes me wonder if they saw images of the Papo toys that get plastered everywhere, and thought yeah that's what we should go with?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Faelrin on December 14, 2022, 10:36:18 PMavatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Yeah that's what I was reminded of as well, and between the shameless JP raptor copy, it just feels so uninspired to me.

It makes me wonder if they saw images of the Papo toys that get plastered everywhere, and thought yeah that's what we should go with?
correction, Schleich.

Faelrin

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 I was definitely referring to the Papo ones. Particularly these two sculpts that show up everywhere.

Halichoeres

As long as it has a coherent plot it will be an improvement on any JW movie. It's hard to know what to root for here: the awful creature designs make me wish for it to flop, but the prospect of breaking the poisonous JW monopoly on dinosaur movies makes me wish for a smash hit.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on December 14, 2022, 05:29:56 PMAlso, someone was clearly unaware that 65 million years ago was after the KT extinction event. There wouldn't be any non-avian dinosaurs to speak of. Or much of anything else.

My head canon is that kpg already happened and that these ugly, ugly dinosaurs are simply scarred and deformed because of the after effects of the impact
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Giganotosaurus

I love dinosaurs, sci-fi, and ancient aliens media (Lovecraft, Stargate, Prometheus), so I can't wait to see this!!!!

I wonder how they cause dinosaurs to go extinct, and I bet there are a few more pods they find later in the film to create their "human" society on Earth (Or, the pods open up millions of years later).

Also, if we're going for all this pseudoscience, might as well put dinosaurs from different eras in this! While I would rather they stay accurate, and have correct designs, this is the only site I've seen complaints over accuracy (of course, we have reason to criticize the designs haha!).
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: