News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on June 10, 2023, 02:38:05 PMThis Daspletosaurus looks nice!  At first I though it's D. torosus which is the species the Safari version is.  On closer inspection though I think this PNSO version is D. wilsoni.  I'm planning to get this figure and keep both it and the Safari Daspletosaurus. 

I shot a message to PNSO on instagram enquiring about the specific species. Hopefully that gives a bit more insight. (or alternatively leads to more confusion like with their Allosaurus)

QuoteI hope a Gorgosaurus comes next and I agree there's no need for an Albertosaurus as well, considering how alike they are and that Safari has released a perfect Albertosaurus last year.

I wouldn't say perfect. It's subjective of course, but I recall a number of people not being fond of the colour scheme, me included. Gex's suberb repaint showcases the potential this sculpt has.

I'm not a fan of how sunken in the gastralia on Safari's take is either. Consistent with Gregory S. Paul's (?) skeletal, but I vastly prefer rounded gastralia as seen on the Sue mount. The sunken abdomen screams 90s reconstructions, not for me personally.

dragon53

"Daspletosaurus...was discovered in 1921 near Steveville, Alberta, by Charles Mortram Sternberg, who thought it was a new species of Gorgosaurus. It was not until 1970 that the specimen was fully described by Dale Russell, who made it the type of a new genus, Daspletosaurus..."

Dale Russell was a professor at my alma mater, NC State University. ;D

Concavenator

On that pic avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy shared, I think the one on the top is Albertosaurus and the one at the bottom is Gorgosaurus? I don't have an easy time telling those two genera apart.

In any case, glad we will be getting a nice Gorgosaurus, just as I'm happy for this new Daspletosaurus. I agree with avatar_Sim @Sim in that we didn't need another Albertosaurus, Safari's is brilliant. But hey, at least it makes more sense than a fragmentary one like Zhuchengtyrannus. If they had to release another tyrannosauroid, I think Bistahieversor would have been a more unique choice, as avatar_Sim @Sim suggested, or something more basal and overdue like Dilong or Eotyrannus. Can't really think right now of many/any other tyrannosauroids with good remains that are left to receive a decent representation. Teratophoneus maybe and that's it? I don't know, but the lack of a truly good Gorgosaurus was apparent.

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 02:58:51 PMI shot a message to PNSO on instagram enquiring about the specific species.

Pretty sure they're going to tell you it's D. torosus just because it's the type species.

Over9K

Not sure about that left leg...

postsaurischian

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 02:58:51 PMGex's suberb repaint showcases the potential this sculpt has.

:o Wow! That is indeed superb. I haven't seen this one before.

Sim

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 02:30:24 PMSome leaks as well. I'm guessing Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus

Thanks for sharing this Flaffy!  At first I thought the top one was the Daspletosaurus, but comparing it to the officially revealed figure shows differences.  I like the running pose of the bottom one, I hope it's Gorgosaurus.  The top one reminds me of artwork of Albertosaurus by PNSO, in the pose.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 02:30:24 PMSome leaks as well. I'm guessing Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus

OMG!  Well, there goes my Cameron money!  Plus I have a lot of T-rexes already!  But these beauties?!  I've been wanting these ever since tubbysaurus came out!  AND, these three will be in the $38-42 range, WOW! 

That running one is going to be epic!  It looks to be far and away the most aggressively engineered pose that PNSO has attempted to date.  I can tell just by looking at the prototype it's probably going to be my favorite PNSO figure ever.  Hopefully they give it a more creative paint scheme than the daspletosaurus.  This is exciting!

CARN0TAURUS

If the image on the bottom of the yellow prototype is the Albertosaurus, I noticed its snout looks more shallow.  It is going to look very different than the despletosaurus and the gorgosaurus!  So excited right now!  These look amazing!

So that just leaves Nanuqsaurus, right?

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Over9K on June 10, 2023, 03:14:36 PMNot sure about that left leg...

The legs positioning, left in front and in mid step, plus the upright posture remind me of Mungo a little bit.  Mungo is looking left tho and his tail is swinging right, and Cole is looking right and his tail is swinging left.

He's a good 4cm shorter than Mungo tho.  These three new figures are going to be smaller but I could care less, I want these bad!   

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 10, 2023, 05:02:48 PMIf the image on the bottom of the yellow prototype is the Albertosaurus, I noticed its snout looks more shallow.  It is going to look very different than the despletosaurus and the gorgosaurus!  So excited right now!  These look amazing!

Nanuqsaurus is probably the only tyrannosaurid left I'd be interested in.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on June 10, 2023, 05:35:07 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 10, 2023, 05:02:48 PMIf the image on the bottom of the yellow prototype is the Albertosaurus, I noticed its snout looks more shallow.  It is going to look very different than the despletosaurus and the gorgosaurus!  So excited right now!  These look amazing!

Nanuqsaurus is probably the only tyrannosaurid left I'd be interested in.

avatar_TheCambrianCrusader @TheCambrianCrusader
After reeling off 4 in a row with Cameron, Cole, and whatever the gorgo and the albertasaurus will be called, I can't imagine them making a Nanuqsaurus too, but it has quickly become one of my favorites on account of prehistoric planet, the whole idea of a tyrannosaur living in arctic conditions just fascinates me a lot.  Like the prehistoric version of a polar bear and who doesn't love polar bears?

Faelrin

This Daspletosaurus is okay, but I definitely prefer Safari Ltd's green and lipped take on it. Granted it isn't a genus I'm hugely interested in collecting to begin with. The colors here are too similar to the older Allosaurus, etc, as well.

That said, man I've been wanting a Gorgosaurus from PNSO from quite a while (even if Safari's Albertosaurus is similar enough to stand in as one, which has lips, and gorgeous colors), so glad to see these leaks confirming it's happening. I wonder what the coloration will be like. Gorgosaurus is one of my favorite tyrannosaurs, and that's partly because of it being from the Dinosaur Park Formation, where some of my favorite Cretaceous dinosaurs are from (Parasaurolophus, Lambeosaurus, Styracosaurus, Dromaeosaurus, etc), but also from the plethora of fossil material out there for it, and possibly also the WWD movie's gorgeous design of it. While I definitely plan to pick up the BotM figure later in the year (currently trying to save up for it and Cyberzoic on my credit cards), it's way out of scale with the PNSO and Safari Ltd models I have.

Still hope we get a Chasmosaurus from them to finish off the trio of the main Dinosaur Park ceratopsians. It feels strange they didn't do that one yet, when they did the Styracosaurus and Centrosaurus last year.

Edit: On the leaked Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus sculpts, does it look like it has taken the gastralia positioning into account? It looks like it does, but I just want to run it by some of you guys who know better.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TooOldForDinosaurs

Seems like I won't be getting anything from PNSO in the near/ far future since I'm not collecting carnivores. I guess my wallet appreciates it :)

Sim

Nanuqsaurus is known from extremely fragmentary remains, if you count it then there's a lot of other tyrannosauroids known from similar remains that are unrepresented.  Among the tyrannosauroids known from good remains, if we treat one of the leaked figures as being Gorgosaurus, the following lack a good figure: Xiongguanlong, Appalachiosaurus, Bistahieversor, Teratophoneus, Alioramus, Daspletosaurus horneri and the unnamed Dinosaur Park Formation "Daspletosaurus".

I don't love polar bears.  They're okay to me, but I find nearly all mammals unappealing, including bears.

Bread

I noticed that we're finally getting Tyrannosaurs to pair up with the Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Centrosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, etc.

Shame that Edmontosaurus hasn't gotten a model yet by PNSO, would go great with the new Tyrannosaurus. I shouldn't say this but I'd be happy to pay ~$60 just for a huge 1/35 scale bull Edmontosaurus :P

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Bread on June 10, 2023, 08:50:17 PMShame that Edmontosaurus hasn't gotten a model yet by PNSO, would go great with the new Tyrannosaurus. I shouldn't say this but I'd be happy to pay ~$60 just for a huge 1/35 scale bull Edmontosaurus :P

You are not alone on this. I'd love to see a proper big Edmontosaurus from PNSO.
Check out my customs thread!

Joel1905

Quote from: Bread on June 10, 2023, 08:50:17 PMI noticed that we're finally getting Tyrannosaurs to pair up with the Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Centrosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, etc.

Shame that Edmontosaurus hasn't gotten a model yet by PNSO, would go great with the new Tyrannosaurus. I shouldn't say this but I'd be happy to pay ~$60 just for a huge 1/35 scale bull Edmontosaurus :P

I have a feeling that over the next 12 months, PNSO will redo Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Parasaurolophus next to keep in line with one, their improved skin texturing, and two, the beefier look that we know Hadrosaurs had. Their Tsintaosaurus is way more up to date in that regard and sticks out amongst their older Hadrosaurs. Also the Corythosaurus and Parasaurolophus definitely need to be smaller to appease the 1:35 purists amongst us! (Me included)

ceratopsian

I would much prefer them to tackle new genera rather than retread old ground.

Lynx

Not really interested in the releases anymore for as long as it's purely theropods, halfway through the year already.
An oversized house cat.

SRF

I don't think PNSO will redo a lot of their models shortly. The very popular genera like T. Rex and some of the other original Museum Line figures are a different story but their Hadrosaurs already have the more subtle detailing we have now from them. Also there are still a lot of genera PNSO hasn't done yet and they have definitely slowed down their release schedule.

As for the colors of the Daspletosaurus, I understand that some are underwhelmed by another brown striped Tyrannosaur, but looking at the existing artwork we have for Daspletosaurus this color scheme is what we could expect for this figure. I do hope however that the Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus gets a more unique color scheme. But I'm definitely picking up all four new Tyrannosaurs. 
But today, I'm just being father

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: