News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: Medzo on June 05, 2023, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 05, 2023, 02:34:06 PMIf I'm being honest, I'm looking for any excuse not to buy another rex; to me, buying one just makes the overall prehistoric figure market worse.

I understand this notion. For PNSO's defense, they're not just a company that keeps milking the Rex in an unacceptable way. This remake was very anticipated and it is just a fitting element of the huge collection of their previous releases.

Eofauna's attempt on the other hand is a much more boring move in this aspect. Tons of other genera that they could've presented but they went for the more secure money grab. IMHO.

Maybe I misread, but basically, it's fine if [big company 1] releases a model of Tyrannosaurus, but a money grab and boring if [small company 2] releases it? The notion doesn't make sense
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 05, 2023, 02:34:06 PMIf I'm being honest, I'm looking for any excuse not to buy another rex; to me, buying one just makes the overall prehistoric figure market worse.

I understand this notion. For PNSO's defense, they're not just a company that keeps milking the Rex in an unacceptable way. This remake was very anticipated and it is just a fitting element of the huge collection of their previous releases.

Eofauna's attempt on the other hand is a much more boring move in this aspect. Tons of other genera that they could've presented but they went for the more secure money grab. IMHO.
I don't know, PNSO re-releasing their original Wilson with improvements and no base feels like "milking" Tyrannosaurus.  I agree though that there's nothing wrong with PNSO releasing Cameron, and that it was appropriate to do so.
As for Eofauna, I don't think there's anything wrong with them releasing Tyrannosaurus.  Tyrannosaurus is popular and was much requested from Eofauna.  Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus doesn't appeal to me personally, but I still look forward to seeing what they'll make after it.

Gwangi

Tyrannosaurus is a favorite dinosaur of mine. Not my absolute favorite, but it makes the short list. I have some great T. rex figures in my collection but nothing that quite hits the aesthetic I'm looking for. I didn't like Wilson and while Cameron is an improvement it's still not quite what I'm looking for, since it doesn't have lips. I don't like Rebor's either and I don't collect BotM. So I'm looking forward to seeing what Eofauna does. 

Medzo

Quote from: Lynx on June 05, 2023, 03:28:23 PM

Maybe I misread, but basically, it's fine if [big company 1] releases a model of Tyrannosaurus, but a money grab and boring if [small company 2] releases it? The notion doesn't make sense

I doubt that PNSO is a big company so to say. But I get the point considering the comparison.

No, what I meant is that PNSO has released a lot of genera already. None of us can say that they are not offering great competition for the market. So it's far from an "Ahh, aNoThEr TrEx?" kind of thing. A month later we will talk about a totally other genus and this whole "another T-Rex" thing goes away, concerning them at least.

On the other hand Eofauna's portfolio: 2 sauropods, a triceratops and one theropod, the Giga. Now they release a T-Rex. I could argue: Did the market really needed a T-rex from them at this point? I would have expected something more exotic from them, like the Atlasaurus.

Sure, it joins the competition, but in my point of view, PNSO's release is much more understandable as they DID improve their production quality in the last 2 years.

Bread

Quote from: Medzo on June 05, 2023, 04:45:22 PMNo, what I meant is that PNSO has released a lot of genera already. None of us can say that they are not offering great competition for the market. So it's far from an "Ahh, aNoThEr TrEx?" kind of thing. A month later we will talk about a totally other genus and this whole "another T-Rex" thing goes away, concerning them at least.

On the other hand Eofauna's portfolio: 2 sauropods, a triceratops and one theropod, the Giga. Now they release a T-Rex. I could argue: Did the market really needed a T-rex from them at this point? I would have expected something more exotic from them, like the Atlasaurus.
It's most certainly not far from being unable to say "Ahh, another T.rex?"

This model although improves the scale size to model size ratio, it however lacks the sort of "difference" from all the other previous Tyrannosaurus models.

Although debatable, still no lips.
Still no change in colorscheme.
This is why Eofauna's will probably meet most people's needs. Plus it's not going to cost $75+

Not sure why there is an issue with Eofauna making a Tyrannosaurus model. Companies were not stepping up to make one with lips and other anatomy updates, so Eofauna had to. There is a demand, and they are supplying. Simple.

CARN0TAURUS

So every single company that has ever made these toys has the right to make their own T-rex figure EXCEPT for Eofauna?  How long has Eofauna been around?  They got into PVC like 7 years ago but before that they made resin figures for what a handful of years?  so after a decade plus of being in business they have finally decided to make a T-rex and that's a bad thing?  Interesting take Medzo, I can't agree with you tho.  I don't think I'm alone when I say that I've been anticipating and hoping that Eofauna would make their own T-rex ever since I purchased their beautiful Mammoth back in 2017.  Of all the companies to accuse of excessive greed, sheesh.  If your logic is correct, then Eofauna are exceedingly bad at being greedy/opportunistic in my humble opinion.

This is the PNSO thread so I won't discuss this further on this thread... 

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on June 05, 2023, 03:27:25 AMavatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon I believe the Blue Rhino model takes into consideration Sue's dislocated arms. I believe I read somewhere that Sue possibly had her arms ripped out of place at some point in her life. (I could be wrong).

I think Mark Witton's assessment regarding BOTM's Tyrannosaurus really highlights how it is the most accurate. Even noting that it is the more realistic interpretation and assumption to consider that not all Tyrannosaurus were built like Sue. And Cameron is based on Sue. Edit: This paragraph is in regards to robustness.

I love the BotM version so much!  It has replaced Zhuchengtyrannus as my favorite Tyrannosaurus in my collection.  I so wish it was a plain figure instead of an action figure.  I would love it if he had released the sculpt as a statue too, no more hoodie, no more gaps and spaces due to the articulation etc...  There is no question that Silva is a wonderful artist, he would rival the very best that are sculpting dinosaurs today if he released his dinosaur sculpts as statues.

I can't believe I'm starting to waiver on even getting Cameron, I never bought winter Wilson either.  To me the exceedingly wide chest, almost like a turkey breast and the lipless thing.  And the price, oh my, that price!  I don't know guys, I'm really starting to wonder if Cameron is an auto buy for me anymore.  I'm going to have to think about it a lot more than I originally anticipated.  At first I thought it was a no brainer but now, I'm not so sure.  Someone said that perfection is unattainable, but I'm not looking for perfection.  I just want something that I'll feel happy with regardless of price.  But with the price being high and me having a few reservations, that kind of changes things for me.  I'll probably end up buying it anyway (I really want that skull) but I'm starting to have serious doubts about that.

Medzo

Eofauna was just an example that popped into my head as they are creating one. On the other hand their Giga feels already surpassed now by Lucas.

As for the no colorscheme change, I agree, but still have to point out that Cameron most probably is meant to be an upgrade to Wilson. I'm pretty sure it's not named Wilson again so it won't be that of a direct sale opponent to Winter Wilson.

Lucas has the same colorscheme as the old one too, clearly, and taking the same name, directly meant to be an upgraded version.

Also I'm a bit senseless about the price arguments. I'm pretty sure we are the people who are spending hundreds of dollars each year to Dino figures. If someone wants to buy Cameron, they'll buy it. PNSO knows this.

But hey, I'm too waiting for a discount on Ali, as it always comes.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on June 05, 2023, 10:17:48 PMEofauna was just an example that popped into my head as they are creating one. On the other hand their Giga feels already surpassed now by Lucas.

As for the no colorscheme change, I agree, but still have to point out that Cameron most probably is meant to be an upgrade to Wilson. I'm pretty sure it's not named Wilson again so it won't be that of a direct sale opponent to Winter Wilson.

Lucas has the same colorscheme as the old one too, clearly, and taking the same name, directly meant to be an upgraded version.

Also I'm a bit senseless about the price arguments. I'm pretty sure we are the people who are spending hundreds of dollars each year to Dino figures. If someone wants to buy Cameron, they'll buy it. PNSO knows this.

But hey, I'm too waiting for a discount on Ali, as it always comes.

comparing eofaunas vs pnsos ( new) lucas is like comparing apples to oranges

first one is noticeably a toy, rounded edges and sturdy plastic and can take a beating
lucas is a model and a single 20 cm drop has caused my lucas to have multiple paintchips

one is 25 dollars and the other is 70 dollars ( with weirdly no skull or bonuses that baffled me since the mapu came our bigger and better for 46) a lot can be excused by price, u dont complain if a 10 dollar toaster isnt perfect but a 100 dollar  one better work

its also surpassed by eofauna themselves , as they plan to redo it more up to the quality of the new rex after , with base and the more modern sculpting they have.

Medzo

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 06, 2023, 10:19:58 AMits also surpassed by eofauna themselves , as they plan to redo it more up to the quality of the new rex after , with base and the more modern sculpting they have.

Is this valid information? Because this is exactly what I would look forward to instead of their T-rex implementation. But I'm derailing the PNSO thread too much, sorry.

Anyway, currently I'm waiting for DinosDragons' review of Cameron.

Remko

Quote from: Medzo on June 06, 2023, 12:11:56 PMAnyway, currently I'm waiting for DinosDragons' review of Cameron.

So am I. I find his reviews to be better, interesting and actual reviews, including the parts that are wrong. Instead of a review just stating "Beautiful, love it, fantastic, so great, very accurate!"

That's not a review, that's an add.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on June 06, 2023, 12:11:56 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 06, 2023, 10:19:58 AMits also surpassed by eofauna themselves , as they plan to redo it more up to the quality of the new rex after , with base and the more modern sculpting they have.

Is this valid information? Because this is exactly what I would look forward to instead of their T-rex implementation. But I'm derailing the PNSO thread too much, sorry.

i heard it in the eofauna forum but it was at best a loose saying, we barely know if the rex will even come out this year and theire a loose canon ,  what i did gather is they work with a new producer for the rex and make sense  and the giga just sticks out massively then.

and i believe dinosdragons said hes gonna skip a few figures to focus on personal stuff, he only came back since he loveeees sauropods

SRF

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 06, 2023, 12:43:19 PM
Quote from: Medzo on June 06, 2023, 12:11:56 PM

i heard it in the eofauna forum but it was at best a loose saying, we barely know if the rex will even come out this year and theire a loose canon ,  what i did gather is they work with a new producer for the rex and make sense  and the giga just sticks out massively then.

and i believe dinosdragons said hes gonna skip a few figures to focus on personal stuff, he only came back since he loveeees sauropods

That's understandable, but he also mentioned a few times that he was waiting for an updated Wilson. I can definitely see him pick up Cameron eventually. But I would understand if we don't see a review on Cameron from him shortly. After the reviews of Kiss/Tusk and the Declay studios T. Rex, there isn't much to say about T. Rex for the moment.
But today, I'm just being father

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on June 02, 2023, 01:59:11 PMI don't think the artwork is an indicator of more tyrannosauroids to come, the PNSO Torosaurus came with artwork of different ceratopsids yet the Torosaurus hasn't had more ceratopsid figures come after it.

Well, I don't think the function of the artwork is to serve as teaser for future figures per se, it's logical to assume all that artwork is there to justify the higher prices of Museum Line figures. But then again, I don't think the possibility of some of the featured genera to be made into figures later on should be excluded. As can be seen in A @Andysdinosaurreviews ' review, the artwork included with the new Giganotosaurus featured a Mapusaurus, and we got it as a figure later.

And just because there hasn't been any more ceratopsids come from them after the Torosaurus doesn't necessarily mean there won't be more at some point. If I'm not mistaken, PNSO hasn't always released consecutive releases under a particular theme more than 3 times (those 2020 ceratopsids, those marine animals back in 2021, and this year with the carcharodontosaurids). Actually, PNSO have proved they like making ceratopsids, so I think it's safe to assume there will be more. Same goes for tyrannosaurids, and those probably sell even more... Reagrdless of those coming right after this T.rex or not, safe to say more will be coming at some point, especially some of the more famous ones like Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Concavenator on June 06, 2023, 01:30:07 PM
Quote from: Sim on June 02, 2023, 01:59:11 PMI don't think the artwork is an indicator of more tyrannosauroids to come, the PNSO Torosaurus came with artwork of different ceratopsids yet the Torosaurus hasn't had more ceratopsid figures come after it.

Well, I don't think the function of the artwork is to serve as teaser for future figures per se, it's logical to assume all that artwork is there to justify the higher prices of Museum Line figures. But then again, I don't think the possibility of some of the featured genera to be made into figures later on should be excluded. As can be seen in A @Andysdinosaurreviews ' review, the artwork included with the new Giganotosaurus featured a Mapusaurus, and we got it as a figure later.

And just because there hasn't been any more ceratopsids come from them after the Torosaurus doesn't necessarily mean there won't be more at some point. If I'm not mistaken, PNSO hasn't always released consecutive releases under a particular theme more than 3 times (those 2020 ceratopsids, those marine animals back in 2021, and this year with the carcharodontosaurids). Actually, PNSO have proved they like making ceratopsids, so I think it's safe to assume there will be more. Same goes for tyrannosaurids, and those probably sell even more... Reagrdless of those coming right after this T.rex or not, safe to say more will be coming at some point, especially some of the more famous ones like Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

i hope they do stick to the artworks colours for consistency, i always weird when they make a colour in the art, yet the figure is completely different and usually inferior ( allosaurus and quanzhosaurus worst offenders)

id schill out even museumline for an artworkcolored chasmoceratops, gorgosaurus or daspletosaurus

SidB

I'd certainly anticipate more PNSO ceratopsids, more than the tyrannosaurs, though I'm okay with them too. The run of PNSO's ceratopsids was an exciting time, rivalling the wonderful ones of Safari by Doug Watson.

Sim

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 06, 2023, 10:19:58 AMone is 25 dollars and the other is 70 dollars ( with weirdly no skull or bonuses that baffled me since the mapu came our bigger and better for 46)
The Mapusaurus being bigger than the Giganotosaurus but cheaper is odd, but I disagree it came out better.  On at least some copies of the Mapusaurus, the jaw connective tissue is visible when the mouth is closed, not so on the Giganotosaurus.  And while it doesn't matter to me, the Giga tends to have better rendered detail than the Mapu.

I think that's premature to say, we haven't even seen Eofauna's updated Giganotosaurus.  Also, all I know Eofauna said is that they plan to give their Giga a base.  I'm not aware of them saying they'll update their Giga in any other way.  Personally, I'd prefer they focus on making different species than improve their Giga which was already inaccurate when it was released.  There's no need for another good Giganotosaurus figure in my opinion.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Sim on June 06, 2023, 03:49:33 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 06, 2023, 10:19:58 AMone is 25 dollars and the other is 70 dollars ( with weirdly no skull or bonuses that baffled me since the mapu came our bigger and better for 46)
The Mapusaurus being bigger than the Giganotosaurus but cheaper is odd, but I disagree it came out better.  On at least some copies of the Mapusaurus, the jaw connective tissue is visible when the mouth is closed, not so on the Giganotosaurus.  And while it doesn't matter to me, the Giga tends to have better rendered detail than the Mapu.

I think that's premature to say, we haven't even seen Eofauna's updated Giganotosaurus.  Also, all I know Eofauna said is that they plan to give their Giga a base.  I'm not aware of them saying they'll update their Giga in any other way.  Personally, I'd prefer they focus on making different species than improve their Giga which was already inaccurate when it was released.  There's no need for another good Giganotosaurus figure in my opinion.

on the connective tissue, my friends lucas has the exact same issue as the mapusauruses mentioned, he got it from recent ali sale so the quality dipped relativly hard , his doesnt even have the black lines properly drawn on. so theire atleast kinda equal and again its not 70 dollars. PNSO just has really bad quality control.

on the better render i dont see it i have them next to each other, the paint of maybe is noticeably cheaper, the left flanks wrinkles flake of on their own on most people. my giga doesnt do that.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on June 06, 2023, 01:30:07 PMActually, PNSO have proved they like making ceratopsids, so I think it's safe to assume there will be more. Same goes for tyrannosaurids, and those probably sell even more... Reagrdless of those coming right after this T.rex or not, safe to say more will be coming at some point, especially some of the more famous ones like Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.
I hope there will be more ceratopsids and tyrannosauroids from PNSO!  There was a time I was sick of those groups because they were getting much attention while other groups I liked were being neglected, but I feel we've now reached a point in prehistoric animal figures where diversity is very well represented and it's allowed me to once again like those groups I was tired of.  Chasmosaurus is one of the most desired genera on this forum, I hope we get one soon from PNSO.  It looks like Gorgosaurus will be coming soon from PNSO, which I'm looking forward to!  As for Daspletosaurus, if PNSO produces it, I wonder which species it will be?  I'd prefer it to be a different one from the Safari figure which I have, so not D. torosus.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Regarding the Gorgosaurus, I wonder if what avatar_Faras @Faras said here:

Quote from: Faras on May 22, 2023, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 22, 2023, 12:36:18 PMNot the most exciting thing in the world, but Gorgosaurus is the most remarkable tyrannosaurid that doesn't have a really good figure yet (BotM aside).

Soon maybe...  ;)  ;)  ;)

Is actually a rumour or not, they also predicted several PNSO figures in the past. A Gorgosaurus is something I would look forward to, and a Daspletosaurus too. And pretty sure I would replace my BotM Chasmosaurus for a PNSO one, in order to save space. I also asked for an Anchiceratops but not sure I need one with Haolonggood's Pentaceratops now out, as both genera look relatively similar. I would also like a new Pachyrhinosaurus with their newer skin detail, not a fan of their 2020 ceratopsids with oversized scales and shiny paint. Not holding my breath but I would love it, their newer ceratopsids are top notch.

More than these though, I would welcome some feathered dinosaurs. Dromaeosaurids in particular (especially overdue ones like Austroraptor, Zhenyuanlong or Halszkaraptor).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: