News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Not a big Mattel fan, but this and the Hammond Giggy are among the most fantastic dinosaur toys we've gotten in recent memory (from what I've seen). This Carnotaurus is decently accurate too, it's even got the thick tail base.

Hoping they release a Kenner-style Allosaurus, Utahraptor and Lycaenops. Not a fan of the Jurassic World Allosaurus design, so I hope they keep the anatomy as close to the Kenner design as possible, just with longer arms and bigger hand-claws.

Dilopho

Genuine question, what's the appeal of the rubber skin to people? I see people acting like they're some sort of incredible relics when a figure has it.
I would rather a figure be strong and sturdy.
Not being able to close the mouth is a little awkward, too.

Bread

Quote from: Dilopho on July 24, 2024, 08:53:30 PMGenuine question, what's the appeal of the rubber skin to people? I see people acting like they're some sort of incredible relics when a figure has it.
I agree. This is a good looking figure besides the mouth not being able to close, but why this full rubber sculpt?

I think it would have been perfect for the HC Carno to get a full Demon Carnotaurus repaint. Arguably one of Mattel's best since they acquired the license.

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Dilopho on July 24, 2024, 08:53:30 PMGenuine question, what's the appeal of the rubber skin to people? I see people acting like they're some sort of incredible relics when a figure has it.
Its a combination of nostalgia for those old kenner figures and the tactile aspect of it. I have a few old kenner real feel dinos and they just have this very satisfying texture to them that hard plastic just don't have. It's hard to articulate without actually having them in hand. Not saying rubber is better or anything but they are neat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on July 24, 2024, 08:58:21 PM
I agree. This is a good looking figure besides the mouth not being able to close, but why this full rubber sculpt?

I think it would have been perfect for the HC Carno to get a full Demon Carnotaurus repaint. Arguably one of Mattel's best since they acquired the license.

Because the original Kenner Demon Carno was also full rubber, and had no jaw articulation.

As for appeal?
1) Nostalgia for folks who grew up with the original Kenner toys.
2) New / Young fans who missed the original Kenner line having the opportunity to collect these retro-homages at reasonable prices.
3) Rubber gives a unique tactile stimulus that sets these figures apart from their hard plastic counterparts. Folks who can't keep their hands off their favourite figures should be able to relate.

Prehistory Resurrection

Hammond Collection Atrociraptor "Ghost" and Scutosaurus revealed:

Giganotosaurus

I can't wait for the Atrociraptor!
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

andrewsaurus rex

scutosaurus looks good.  Surprising addition to the HC.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Looks like they took inspiration from the TLW figure for scutosaurus. Interesting we haven't seen an estemmenosuchus yet, too.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

Atrociraptor Ghost is looking so good. Kind of glad I held off the Dominion set with it. Hope they do the rest too.

The Scutosaurus is a pleasant surprise. The 2020 is probably the more scientific one (and last year's repaint of it), but I love this throwback to the TLW Kenner figure.

Edit: Actually I think the skin resembles more the reconstruction in this image image from this paper:

I think the skin detail of the original Kenner figure, and the previous Mattel ones were based on an older reconstruction right? Also the retired Safari Ltd Scutosaurus, and the recent Wild Past one I think (which I think was sculpted before the linked paper came out). For comparison here:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Oh wow, I am so excited for that Scutosaurus. What a pleasant surprise! Ghost looks nice but I don't think I'll get any Atrociraptor.

TheCambrianCrusader

HC Scutosaurs huh? Odd choice but I'm always down for more Permian representation. Atrociraptor looks good

PrimevalRaptor

For JP designs I did like the Atrociraptors a bit so that one and ESPECIALLY the Scutosaurus (that's an amazing surprise!) are on my "I'll probably get those" list...if they even make it over here. Distribution of smaller figures is atrocious (hah) in Germany...
Also wondering if that means we may get Lycaenops or Estemmenosuchus down the line, we do have great accurate Estemmenosuchus ofc but articulated versions would rule.

Flaffy

I never would've guessed Scutosaurus of all things would enter the Hammond Collection, and I'm certainly not complaining either!

Now then... BRING BACK HIS BUDDY THE ESTEMMENOSUCHUS! Would love to see more Permian fauna in general from Mattel. And there's only a select few Kenner species that Mattel has yet to do. From the top of my head at least:
- Estemmenosuchus
- Lycaenops
- Ornithosuchus
- Coelophysis

Flaffy

Another angle. Seems a bit off the more I look at it. The lack of rows of dorsal osteoderms is a shame, which surprisingly the mainline figure does better. And also goes against what the Kenner toy established in its design.

Gwangi

The Atrociraptor has an upside down leg.  ::)

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 04:36:14 PMThe Atrociraptor has an upside down leg.  ::)
Yikes didn't even notice that when I first saw it.

Dilopho

I wonder if they're gonna take up both of the upcoming HC announcements, or if it's gonna be just one of them like the other ones this year have been doing. With multiple figures sharing an announcement.

Eatmycar

The Kenner toy also has spikes coming straight down from the lower jaw like daggers, so I can't say I'm mad if Mattel deviates from that.

I do love that they have a QC control issue on display though. For all of the weird nitpicks people like Marco find about decos or details in blink-and-you'll-miss-it stills, the real problem with these toys is the flood of QC issues we see every release. That needs to be solved more than any proportion issues, canon accuracy, any of that crap. Product hitting shelves with upside down legs, missing body parts (one of my pyroraptors has no roof to its mouth!), or duplicate body parts are the things that ruin the toy immediately.

I shouldn't have to treat buying a $14.99 toy like Russian Roulette and be worried that my copy is going to have a blob of glue on one side of its face if I order it from Amazon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: