News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giganotosaurus

I wonder how the Hammond Therizno will compare in size to the mainline figure.
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on April 24, 2024, 04:20:24 PMI wonder how the Hammond Therizno will compare in size to the mainline figure.

It's smaller. There were pics posted a month or two ago showing it compared. Kinda disappointed in that. I guess it can be a younger animal? But it's not of size to participate in the Giga/Rex fight.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on April 24, 2024, 04:03:05 PMThe Giganotosaurus seems like a bit of an oddball, does anybody else think the head looks small?
If it's as lightweight as the Carnotaurus was, I can see it having some trouble standing. I feel like the legs are gonna be a little weak to hold it up.

But both of these look great. I'm glad that they are fully embracing the smaller feet, the feet are still big looking but much better than they were in the past.

I think the reduced weight will actually help instead of hinder posing options.  The Carno is balanced pretty well and can get into a lot of poses without issue.  Definitely glad we are getting smaller feet. I'm betting the Rex will get a reissue with them eventually.

Quote from: Dilopho on April 24, 2024, 04:05:46 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on April 24, 2024, 02:41:59 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 24, 2024, 02:38:46 PMShame the Theri is so small. It should be quite a bit larger than this. Giga looks fantastic.

Is it really that much bigger than the giga in the movie? I guess I didn't notice.

Blade didn't say it should be larger than the Giganotosaurus, just that it should be a bigger figure. Look:

It stands about the same height as the other two theropods, not counting the neck of course.

I wanna point out though, in the pic of the figures up there, the Therizinosaurus is crouched quite a bit.

Exactly. It should be as tall as the Rex/Giga at the least. The mainline figure is bigger  than it is.  You can tell just looking at the mass of the body/head it's a lot smaller than it should be. They gave us a medium size figure and a large one is what happened, probably figuring the Theri wouldn't sell as well.

This is sorta illustrating the point.

It would be a bit taller with the legs fully extended, but it wouldn't change the length or mass. Honestly none of these look right with the legs too low or too extended...just is what it is I guess.

On another note, I'm so glad I got up at 8am to try and preorder these lol 11:44 and still not up.

andrewsaurus rex

The Giga looks promising.  Is the tail flexible or is it going to be stuck in that swoopy pose?   

I don't like the design of the JW Giga with the small Spinosaurus like sail on its back, but i guess we're stuck with it.  Otherwise the Giga has a lot going for it.   Too long of a tail on a Mattel figure?....wow, unheard of.

MLMjp

Did anyone noticed that the Giga does not have double jointed knees like the T.rex? Guess they heard the complaints about the legs being too long/skinny. Less range of motion but honestly this will make it easier to pose for me.

Even thought the actual color of the Giga is more of a "Jurassic World ugly grey", I welcome the slight inaccuracy of having a more green-ish base color, looks so much better and I wish it was like that in the film.

Gwangi

I'm not a big fan of the JW Giga but this is a cool toy nonetheless. I might get it. Probably going to skip the Theri since I have the mainline version. Again, it's not a design that I love and the mainline toy suits my needs. These things mostly just end up standing on a shelf after all. The Pyroraptor will be a must-have. Was really hoping we would get the Indominus this year but I guess the wait continues.

Dilopho

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on April 24, 2024, 05:33:44 PMThe Giga looks promising.  Is the tail flexible or is it going to be stuck in that swoopy pose? 

I don't like the design of the JW Giga with the small Spinosaurus like sail on its back, but i guess we're stuck with it.  Otherwise the Giga has a lot going for it.  Too long of a tail on a Mattel figure?....wow, unheard of.

It's certainly going to be flexible. It looks like both that and the Therizinosaurus have bendy tails, like the Carnotaurus.

Actually, there are other JW figures where the tails are too long, the one that comes to mind is their Triceratops.
Personally I quite like the big back scales, inaccurate as they are. It's a cool look and reminds me of Acrocanthosaurus.

Quote from: MLMjp on April 24, 2024, 05:44:42 PMDid anyone noticed that the Giga does not have double jointed knees like the T.rex? Guess they heard the complaints about the legs being too long/skinny. Less range of motion but honestly this will make it easier to pose for me.

I agree, that looks so much better!
Three things turned me away from getting that T. rex.
1) I live in the UK, it's hard in general to get these figures.
2) The legs are so weird, they're skinny and lanky with giant feet.
3) I think the hot pink rubber cheeks are really gross and awkward looking.

Prehistory Resurrection

A @andrewsaurus rex , The tail appears to be flexible/ bendy, as can be seen in this video:

Dilopho

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 24, 2024, 04:42:34 PMThey gave us a medium size figure and a large one is what happened, probably figuring the Theri wouldn't sell as well.

That's strange if true,  because I've found Therizinosaurus to be more popular than Giganotosaurus, especially in recent years...!
Of course, I don't know the sales, maybe the JW toy of Giganotosaurus sold more than their Therizinosaurus.

andrewsaurus rex

Flexi tail, good news.  :)

Interesting....Acrocanthosaurus...hmm...i guess keeping that in mind can make the sail easier to live with.  I was going to paint the spines, bright orangey red or something and make them look like adornment, to lure the ladies, rather than a solid lump

Faelrin

I screencapped that bit on the back of the boxes (which avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection shared earlier), increased the brightness and contrast a bit in gimp, and then upscaled it with waifu2x at 4x, and while it isn't perfect, it does give (very slight) better look at the next wave. We already knew Claire would be the FK so no surprise there.

Really was hoping for the Pyroraptor today, but I appreciate this (if unintentional) teaser as what's to come. The fact it appears to have wings and the film coloration is a good sign. Very curious to see how the wings will be articulated. Something like the BotM figures would be good, but i imagine something like the BotM figures would be good, albeit simplified. Aside from the fact it is posed just like the film render:

Also man Target yet again dropped the ball here. Still no pre-orders up for either of those two revealed today.

Anyways I was meaning to post my thoughts on them earlier today, and forgot too. I'm really glad for the HC Giganotosaurus. I held off and asked for it back in 2022 (along with a lot of other folks). Already said what I had to with the Therizinosaurus earlier, but I'm a bit more interested in now, with a better look at it (still like my screamer though). I mean if they are able to go and remake the Dimetrodon, Giganotosaurus, Pyroraptor, Therizinosaurus, it gives me hope other species from the film will get attention like the Moros, and Oviraptor (could even do a two pack with those!), unless they pop them in the mainline like the recent Eoraptor/Stegouros, and Guanlong/Lystrosaurus sets. Quetzalcoatlus seems like an obvious choice too, and one I've seen many requests for.

Edit: Atrociraptor squad also seems like an obvious choice, especially after they do the raptor squad. Adult Allosaurus as well.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, and I've already mentioned this in the past, but I hope Iguanodon and Nasutoceratops get the HC treatment as well. Iguanodon desperately needs a resculpt that's film accurate.

Edit 3: Only film species (and CC) missing the HC touch at this point include the (kind of doubtful of the recent large sauropods getting HC figures, except the Apatosaurus maybe):

Spoiler
-Allosaurus (either FK and/or BaBR/Dominion)
-Apatosaurus
-Atrociraptor squad (Ghost, Panthera, Red, Tiger)
-Becklespinax (and whatever other new Chaos Theory creatures)
-Compsognathus (unlikely unless as an accessory or multipack maybe?)
-Dimorphodon
-Dreadnoughtus
-Iguanodon
-Indominus rex
-Indoraptor (though the original 2018 posable figure works already. Just needs an updated head sculpt really)
-Kentrosaurus Pierce
-Lystrosaurus (mainline is fine with me tbh)
-Mamenchisaurus
-Microceratus (unlikely unless as an accessory or multipack maybe?)
-Monolophosaurus trio
-Moros
-Mosasaurus (mainline is fine with me tbh)
-Ouranosaurus
-Nasutoceratops
-Nothosaurus
-Oviraptor
-Quetzalcoatlus
-Scorpios rex
-Sinoceratops (possibly leaked?)
-Smilodon
-Spinoceratops (Angel & Rebel)
-Spinosaurus
-Stygimoloch
-Tarbosaurus

Major variants still missing:
-Ankylosaurus (JW, don't really care that much though)
-Ankylosaurus Bumpy
-Baryonyx Chaos, Grim, Limbo
-Carnotaurus Toro
-Carnotaurus (Dominion "Demon" design)
-Parasaurolophus lux
-Parasaurolophus (Dominion; three versions, but the blue striped with the render pic is my preferred)
-Pteranodon (JW, don't really care that much though)
-Stegosaurus (TLW adult)
-Velociraptor (TLW male, Charlie, Echo)
[close]
Of these Spinosaurus and Indominus rex are highly requested and I'm honestly shocked we got the Giganotosaurus and Therizinosaurus before either of those, due to how many requests for them I've seen. That said last year was heavy with JPIII releases, with a mix of TLW, and this year seems to be heavy with a mix of Dominion and Jurassic World.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Do people still do Target pre-orders? I don't know that I've heard one example of pre-orders arriving before they show up on shelves.
Not to mention the way they handle payments for pre-orders is super annoying with the random hold charges.

Faelrin

I don't but I just wanted some high quality pics for the thread. Might have to resort to using the ones posted by either Jurassic Outpost or Collect Jurassic. Still surprised to see how a major corporation failed here (again).

Also I noticed the Diplodocus release date is in September, which I expected as is tradition at this point.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on April 24, 2024, 05:57:44 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 24, 2024, 04:42:34 PMThey gave us a medium size figure and a large one is what happened, probably figuring the Theri wouldn't sell as well.

That's strange if true,  because I've found Therizinosaurus to be more popular than Giganotosaurus, especially in recent years...!
Of course, I don't know the sales, maybe the JW toy of Giganotosaurus sold more than their Therizinosaurus.

I don't know who makes final decisions on these things usually a know nothing executive but I have seen the Theri still in stores whereas the Giga was gone first. I'm not sure how well either sold. Kids seem to like both, collectors preferred the Theri figure over the really poorly executed Giga figure. Oddly neither it or the Theri had an updated release or even a repaint like the TRex or Spinosaurus. Maybe they are making up for that?

Quote from: Carnoking on April 24, 2024, 11:40:50 PMDo people still do Target pre-orders? I don't know that I've heard one example of pre-orders arriving before they show up on shelves.
Not to mention the way they handle payments for pre-orders is super annoying with the random hold charges.

I do, just to show interest in the product and to secure one. I can always cancel if I find it on the store shelf first.  I heard this one is supposed to be released in June? Not too long of a wait.  I certainly would prefer if say BBTS had it.

For an update, it still isn't working. I recall this happening with the Mamenchi I think as well?  I can't even get the Target app on my phone to load so it might be a sitewide issue?

Prehistory Resurrection

Beyond the Gates Video.

andrewsaurus rex

after seeing more pics of the Giga, i'm not as enthused as i was.  Small head, big arms, too long legs and a really looong tail.  But i will definitely wait to see the final product before deciding to get it or not.

Shane

Quote from: Carnoking on April 24, 2024, 11:40:50 PMDo people still do Target pre-orders? I don't know that I've heard one example of pre-orders arriving before they show up on shelves.

I used to, but for all the issues you mentioned, PLUS the fact that they randomly canceled my Blue HC preorder (while also OPENING PRE-ORDERS again on the site??!) makes me hesitant to do any preorders going forward.

I preordered Blue ages ago, had the held charge sitting forever, then got it canceled, only to see Target list it for pre-order again. At that point, I'll just wait until it shows up on shelves. If I miss it, eh I have enough HC raptors.

Faelrin

I'm sure folks probably have noticed this by now, but pre-orders are up now, lol. $39.99 for Therizinosaurus, and $49.99 for Giganotosaurus (same as T. rex). Expected release date is June 2. Blue is weirdly expected to release in a few more days (28th), alongside the new JP 30 Nedry set.

Carnoking

They look fantastic but as always, I'll most likely be waiting for a decent sale.

MLMjp

Considering amazon spain has been stocking the latest hammond collection releases and still has the T.rex and Carnotaurus in stock, I don't worry about missing these anymore.

The one figure I fear of missing out is the Mamenchisaurus, mattels sauropods usually pop up in Amazon Spain sometime later after they have been released, heck, Dreadnoughtus is still available, but the Mamenchisaurus page says not available like it won't be re-stocked...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: