News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

So, funny but true story. I was unfamiliar with Pyroraptor until JW Dominion in 2022 and Mattel toys on this forum. I assumed it was something made up like 'Indominus rex' (Pyroraptor just sounds like something made up for JW or a SyFy Channel flick...). I was pleasantly surprised when I looked it up and it's an actual genus LOL

Dilopho

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on May 22, 2024, 06:27:54 PMthe pyroraptor doesn't look too bad.  I gather it is nowhere near scale with figs, unless the Pyroraptor is much bigger in the JW world than it was in the prehistoric world?
It's bigger than what we think it was in real life, but to be fair, it's only known from fragmentary remains.

Dilopho

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 22, 2024, 11:46:59 PMSo, funny but true story. I was unfamiliar with Pyroraptor until JW Dominion in 2022 and Mattel toys on this forum. I assumed it was something made up like 'Indominus rex' (Pyroraptor just sounds like something made up for JW or a SyFy Channel flick...). I was pleasantly surprised when I looked it up and it's an actual genus LOL

I'm surprised you didn't  hear of it, there's always dinosaurs that we don't know, but Pyroraptor was the star of a Dinosaur Planet episode that was really popular.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 22, 2024, 11:46:59 PMSo, funny but true story. I was unfamiliar with Pyroraptor until JW Dominion in 2022 and Mattel toys on this forum. I assumed it was something made up like 'Indominus rex' (Pyroraptor just sounds like something made up for JW or a SyFy Channel flick...). I was pleasantly surprised when I looked it up and it's an actual genus LOL

If you feel like you need one for your collection the Captivz figure would probably work for you.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 23, 2024, 12:57:27 AM

If you feel like you need one for your collection the Captivz figure would probably work for you.

I might still have one for sale.

Prehistory Resurrection

Flaffy

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on May 23, 2024, 02:43:07 PM

Is this the very first mainline Dilophosaurus with screen-accurate JP markings on the head & crest? I'm surprised it took Mattel so long to get it right. The distracting DNA tab on the poor thing's spine is still painfully unnecessary imo.

I also can't help but feel the Darius back being way better value for money with 3 dinosaurs instead of 2.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2024, 02:57:17 AM

I just checked, and it appears to have been a small enough species that a Captivz figure might work. avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - if you have one, feel free to PM me or write me directly if you have my email.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I do recall the 2018 having a pretty decent likeness minus the white outline, and vertical pupils. This new one paints the head much more faithfully better, and even gets the general markings down pretty well (minus the white outline on the body), but I think the 2018 one had a more screen-accurate frill, although to be fair this is based on the Camp Cretaceous design which does seem to have a similar frill.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 23, 2024, 04:06:24 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2024, 02:57:17 AM

I just checked, and it appears to have been a small enough species that a Captivz figure might work. avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - if you have one, feel free to PM me or write me directly if you have my email.

I have one, will message you.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on May 23, 2024, 02:49:54 PM
Diplodocus in hands.
I already felt insulted this guy felt the new to scrape his finger nails across every section of it. Then when he pushes it aside (without having really shown the articulation) and pulls out a stupid clickbait venom rex I wished I was watching this on a mobile device so I could have been tempted to throw it.

Halichoeres

Yep, I have one--at that scale, you can barely tell the eye is in the wrong part of the head!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Was it ever confirmed the Darius with yellow jacket and Ben w/ single dino packs are Universal Studios theme park exclusives?  I've seen them at Target in the larger multi dino pack sets but none of the smaller sets yet.

Faelrin

No idea on those smaller sets either. I would really like to pick up that Monolophosaurus set.

I'm surprised the new toys aren't available online yet. Distribution is either really poor, or something else. Street date should have passed by now, as the show is out.

In any case it seems the Wild Pack Apatosaurus, etc are showing up now (after I checked ebay). This wave consists of that Dominion red raptor, Gallimimus, the Guanlong vs Lystrosaurus, and as stated, the Apatosaurus. No sign of the other two so perhaps will be available in a later wave.

I wonder if those sets will be available by then too.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on May 26, 2024, 05:03:25 PMNo idea on those smaller sets either. I would really like to pick up that Monolophosaurus set.

I'm surprised the new toys aren't available online yet. Distribution is either really poor, or something else. Street date should have passed by now, as the show is out.

In any case it seems the Wild Pack Apatosaurus, etc are showing up now (after I checked ebay). This wave consists of that Dominion red raptor, Gallimimus, the Guanlong vs Lystrosaurus, and as stated, the Apatosaurus. No sign of the other two so perhaps will be available in a later wave.

I wonder if those sets will be available by then too.

Hopefully they show up as mass market, otherwise it's going to be hard to complete the roster of all the campers.

Target has had the larger Darius and Ben sets up online for order but you have to be quick, they pop up and then sell out.  I managed a set of each, I just want the campers if anyone wants the dinos let me know.   I'm looking for the Apato juv. and the Guanlong vs Lystrosaurus set.  I'd trade for them if anyone finds them.

My walmart had the display up last monday and the only thing new was the 50.00 Rex. They had used it to pile in a ton of over stock of all the other toys. My guess is that's the reason nothing new yet they want to move overstock.  Target has the current roarivores for 10.49 online.

Dilopho

I need a figure of that new villain (
Spoiler
The Handler
[close]
) from Chaos Theory sooo bad.
Please, Mattel... but I feel like it's unlikely..
They have a really bad track record with villains.

We have Soyona, Rainn, Wheatley and Nedry. Roland too if you count him as a villain (I don't, he's just lame for being a hunter.)
No Ludlow, Vic Hoskins, Mills, Dodgson, Kash, Mitch, Tiff, Daniel Kon,  Dr. Wu (no obtainable mainline figure)... why not?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on May 27, 2024, 02:56:07 AMI need a figure of that new villain (
Spoiler
The Handler
[close]
) from Chaos Theory sooo bad.
Please, Mattel... but I feel like it's unlikely..
They have a really bad track record with villains.

We have Soyona, Rainn, Wheatley and Nedry. Roland too if you count him as a villain (I don't, he's just lame for being a hunter.)
No Ludlow, Vic Hoskins, Mills, Dodgson, Kash, Mitch, Tiff, Daniel Kon,  Dr. Wu (no obtainable mainline figure)... why not?

It would be cool.  I'm surprised no Dodgson, Wu will be a HC figure I bet. They've really got a ways to go with the first JW film..

Primeval12

Or you could make it custom! I might. Now I finally have a use for that figure of Cate Blanchett's character from Indiana Jones that was bycatch from a dino lot.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: