News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 15, 2024, 05:36:34 PM
Quote from: Shane on May 15, 2024, 05:24:38 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 15, 2024, 05:11:08 PMI think the Giga is meant to be chasing Ian in the vehicle..I guess they figured the "must go faster" worked. The funny thing is the Giga never killed anyone or really anything that I can recall.

I thought it might be, would have been better in green if so.  Someone on FB mentioned there is a scene with a baby Galli. I don't know though I haven't seen one.

It's a bit strange to include giga/malcolm when the other two are some of the most iconic deaths in the franchise. Nedry obviously, but also that poor assistant.

Aside from an anachronistic battle with a Tyrannosaurus in the prologue and a deer I don't think the Giganotosaurus killed anyone. I can't remember exactly though

Ah yeah the opening..it didn't even start it then, the Rex did.     It didn't even kill the deer, the Therizinosaurus did, then the Rex found it only to have it stolen by the Giga. Honestly she acted the most like a real animal. She's the top predator so she sleeps and eats all day..not really much more is needed. But if they wanted a villain they made her too realistic and not enough evil.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 15, 2024, 08:02:13 PM
Quote from: Shane on May 15, 2024, 07:15:25 PMI think it's just jarring and unexpected. It's not overly gruesome or graphic, but the whole scene just feels oddly extended and kinda bordering on slapstick. It's almost Rube Goldberg-esque in how it plays out with her getting snatched up, tossed between multiple pterosaurs, dropped in the water, scooped up in another pterosaur's jaws (repeatedly), before being once again dragged upward by that same pterosaur before being finally finished off by the Mosasaurus.

For me, it's not so much whether it's "deserved" or not, it's just that a sequence lasting nearly a full minute, drawing out one character's death, seems odd in the context of the rest of the movie, and the franchise in general. I'm not in the camp that's upset because it wasn't "deserved", but it definitely stood out as a strange scene to me.

I can respect that take. Honestly, by the time we get to the 4th film in a franchise I think we could have used more outlandish death scenes in these dinosaurs-run-amok films. It shouldn't have felt unexpected, it's what the entire film should have been. Especially Dominion.

I agree with P @PumperKrickel, these Bite Club toys are kinda odd. I feel like the last batch was better. The Giga is the best of these three while the other two are too misshapen and not as cute as they probably should be.

We just need a Dinosaurs Attack! movie already.. MA rating and all. 

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 16, 2024, 01:46:01 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 15, 2024, 05:11:08 PMI think the Giga is meant to be chasing Ian in the vehicle..I guess they figured the "must go faster" worked. The funny thing is the Giga never killed anyone or really anything that I can recall.

I thought it might be, would have been better in green if so.  Someone on FB mentioned there is a scene with a baby Galli. I don't know though I haven't seen one.

It's a bit strange to include giga/malcolm when the other two are some of the most iconic deaths in the franchise. Nedry obviously, but also that poor assistant.

Aside from an anachronistic battle with a Tyrannosaurus in the prologue and a deer I don't think the Giganotosaurus killed anyone. I can't remember exactly though

Ah yeah the opening..it didn't even start it then, the Rex did.     It didn't even kill the deer, the Therizinosaurus did, then the Rex found it only to have it stolen by the Giga. Honestly she acted the most like a real animal. She's the top predator so she sleeps and eats all day..not really much more is needed. But if they wanted a villain they made her too realistic and not enough evil.

I really do like how it was depicted more like a natural predator but I still have no idea what Colin Trevorrow meant about it being "like the Joker".

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 16, 2024, 03:56:41 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 16, 2024, 01:46:01 AM

I really do like how it was depicted more like a natural predator but I still have no idea what Colin Trevorrow meant about it being "like the Joker".

All I can think is it was supposed to be the master villain aka Joker to the franchise's Batman/T.Rex . That said I don't think one opening scene was enough to establish that history/background. The Giga killing her in the past wasn't really anything that made her "what she became" either. The Giga had none of the insanity or evil-ness we got with the Indominus or Indoraptor.. it's just a really flimsy comparison.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 16, 2024, 03:56:41 AMI really do like how it was depicted more like a natural predator but I still have no idea what Colin Trevorrow meant about it being "like the Joker".

He later said he meant the colouration. The greenish skin and the face markings that sorta look like runny make-up. Still feels like a reach, but I kinda see it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: PumperKrickel on May 16, 2024, 04:47:56 AM
Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 16, 2024, 03:56:41 AMI really do like how it was depicted more like a natural predator but I still have no idea what Colin Trevorrow meant about it being "like the Joker".

He later said he meant the colouration. The greenish skin and the face markings that sorta look like runny make-up. Still feels like a reach, but I kinda see it.

Wow..that's sorta...lame?  ;D Now if they had given her big red lips I could maybe see it..

crazy8wizard

The only Joker with smeared makeup I can think of is Heath Ledger's joker and even that barely resembles the Giganotosaurus. Lame reach but I guess I can see it.

Faelrin

All I remember is that really dumb thing about him saying it "wanted to watch the world burn". I mean it did see its world burn, and in its mouth, but wanted, eh doubtful. Otherwise it was like the most normal animal in the film. Didn't even kill anyone. 

I wonder if the coloration thing came after all the jokes and ridicule that statement about it caused?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: PumperKrickel on May 16, 2024, 04:47:56 AM

What was the "it just wants to watch the world burn" part about then lol
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I feel he was talking without know what he was really saying.

I think on the plus side we did get a very realistic behaving animal again, not just a monster..which seems to be what some of the production wanted? lol

PumperKrickel

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 16, 2024, 09:59:37 PMWhat was the "it just wants to watch the world burn" part about then lol

Idk, he mysteriously left that part out of his explanation. ;D

I can only imagine the Giga's role received major rewrites during production. It probably was supposed to be more of a monster at some point, which would explain why it receives a death similar to the Indominus and the Indoraptor. Maybe it was supposed to have evil dna and that's what made the former two hybrids so cruel and aggressive.

CityRaptor

Given that Trevorrow seems to make some dicisions based on what his kid says ( i.e. removal of Stegoceratops from Jurassic World to make the Indominus feel more special....uh, never mind the other three hybrids), I wouldn't be surprised if his kid had a Batman phase at the time.

Also that Compy with Yaz? It's wearing a cone of shame!
Selection of repaints the figures come with seems to be a bit more diverse this time. Last time you could tell who becomes a couple based on the species they came packed with. Of course we haven't seen Sammy yet, so she may still share species with her girlfriend.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Faelrin

Mattel's doing a young T. rex for the next 93 Classic set, and boy does it look amazing:

Edit: Here's a new pic of the Crushivores Spinosaurus, which seems to be following in the same vein as the Bite Club figures, with a mini human recreating a certain scene (Nash in this case, the pilot from JPIII). Complete with the phone, poo pile, and a mini green T. rex from the looks of it. Gotta pick up this set and get a pic with the Ceratosaurus smelling that poo pile, lol.

Edit 2: Here's the set the Imaginext Becklespinax is in that got leaked a while back:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

While I don't think I'll be picking it up, the new '93 set looks great in that packaging. I always wondered why the new trilogy didn't stick with the classic look for merchandising.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Carnoking

Oh wow, that rex set is epic!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll get it, even though my favorite young Rex was the brown version. Who's the human supposed to be? 

I generally leave these in box as they just look better displayed in them anyway.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2024, 04:23:12 AMI'll get it, even though my favorite young Rex was the brown version. Who's the human supposed to be? 

I generally leave these in box as they just look better displayed in them anyway.

I've always liked this color scheme more than the brown but I never actually owned either. Still don't. I'll definitely be getting this one. The T. rex looks fantastic and I'll likely keep the packaging too.

I agree with avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus, the Kenner packaging and JP colors look so much better than Mattel's or the JW colors.

The human is Ray Arnold.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 19, 2024, 04:40:31 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2024, 04:23:12 AMI'll get it, even though my favorite young Rex was the brown version. Who's the human supposed to be? 

I've always liked this color scheme more than the brown but I never actually owned either. Still don't. I'll definitely be getting this one. The T. rex looks fantastic and I'll likely keep the packaging too.

I agree with avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus, the Kenner packaging and JP colors look so much better than Mattel's or the JW colors.

The human is Ray Arnold.

The juvenile Rex was my first Kenner Rex. The adult took forever to come out like a month or two more after that. 

I'm a bit concerned about how far the paint extends and how long the tail is. That killed the new Bary for me.

Is he? I heard it was supposed to be Scrap Davis a couple hours ago?

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2024, 08:03:19 AMIs he? I heard it was supposed to be Scrap Davis a couple hours ago?

How?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: