News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 05, 2024, 06:39:10 AMI could imagine that this would be a pre-order date and the release date then in May as was initially communicated. The Mamenchisaurus will have an even larger box than the Alamosaurus and they will only be able to calculate the shipping costs when they know the exact size and weight of the box.

True, I would guesstimate around 200 whereas the Alamo was 180 or so?  Wonder what the preorder extra will be? Base/pterosaur?

thomasw100

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 05, 2024, 07:01:40 AM
Quote from: thomasw100 on March 05, 2024, 06:39:10 AMI could imagine that this would be a pre-order date and the release date then in May as was initially communicated. The Mamenchisaurus will have an even larger box than the Alamosaurus and they will only be able to calculate the shipping costs when they know the exact size and weight of the box.

True, I would guesstimate around 200 whereas the Alamo was 180 or so?  Wonder what the preorder extra will be? Base/pterosaur?

The coolest pre-order extra would be a Mamenchisaurus juvenile. That would be just so amazing.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 05, 2024, 07:08:06 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 05, 2024, 07:01:40 AM

The coolest pre-order extra would be a Mamenchisaurus juvenile. That would be just so amazing.

Oh yeah...

Halichoeres

Aside from the size, do we have anything to indicate that this is M. sinocanadorum specifically?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

thomasw100

Did anyone here also get the limited plain edition of the Haolonggood Alamosaurus? I am asking because I had some issues with that. When it arrived, it had a very strong smell of paint unlike any other Haolonggood models that I had obtained so far. Then upon further inspection I noticed sveral places with obvious paint defects, where either the green-brown color had not covered the white color of the primer or where the paint had been rubbed of. My thought was that the model was packed up when the paint was still rather wet or it was dry brushed too strongly, causing the paint defects and the strong smell.The smell disappeared after about a week, but obviously the paint defects did not.

I had purchased the Alamosaurus from Lana Time Shop and so I contacted them. They asked me to send detailed pictures of the areas affected and so I did. After receiving the pictures, they stated that they indeed do believe that this would be paint chipping as they called it. Now the first thing they came up with was that they asked if I can fix this myself. As I have no experience with painting such models, I told them that I would not be able to fix this myself. Then they proposed that they will get one of their painter to mix acrylic paint with the exact color tone and then send this to me. And they told me that they would provide a tutorial video to show me how to apply the paint.

I accepted this because I felt that it would be too much to ask for a full replacement of the model and I also did not want to ruin the overall good relationship with Lana that I have. But now this situation is developing in such a way that after several weeks they still have not shipped this paint and they keep telling me that there would be delay with the painter that has to prepare it and so forth.

What do you think about this case? I have to say that this experience very much frustrates me on several levels. First, why does Haolonggood deliver their most expensive flagship model with such defects and does not apply the most basic quality control which should spot this on and return this to the factory for fixup? Second, why does Lana not give this any priority but delays this week after week?

thomasw100

Paleofiguras posted some hints to a forthcoming release I believe:

ceratopsian

T @thomasw100: regarding your touching up your model. I would suggest contacting an artist in the EU to do it for you. Ben Van Steenberge in Belgium springs to mind but I am sure there are others. It would be more expensive than trying yourself, especially as you would need to send the model by post.  But the result might be better than your own efforts and result in better long-term satisfaction. I would keep asking Lana for the paint.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 06, 2024, 12:17:25 PMT @thomasw100: regarding your touching up your model. I would suggest contacting an artist in the EU to do it for you. Ben Van Steenberge in Belgium springs to mind but I am sure there are others. It would be more expensive than trying yourself, especially as you would need to send the model by post.  But the result might be better than your own efforts and result in better long-term satisfaction. I would keep asking Lana for the paint.

I have been thinking about this as well. But for the cost of that work plus shipping it back and forth I could essentially order a new one from Lana and throw the one with the paint defects away. And then sending it to one of these super busy painting artists I may mean months of waiting until it would be done and I have the Alamosaurus back.

I will probably give the fix up a try and if this does not work out well I will hard press Lana for a replacement, maybe offering that I will pay for the shipping costs but not the new model. If they reject this, I will possibly go through the Papal route.

When I posted this case I was a hoping that the representative from Haolonggood who is active here would see this and suggest a solution. It cannot be that they deliver their flagship product with paint defects and the only solution is to have to fix it yourself.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 06, 2024, 12:51:44 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on March 06, 2024, 12:17:25 PMT @thomasw100: regarding your touching up your model. I would suggest contacting an artist in the EU to do it for you. Ben Van Steenberge in Belgium springs to mind but I am sure there are others. It would be more expensive than trying yourself, especially as you would need to send the model by post.  But the result might be better than your own efforts and result in better long-term satisfaction. I would keep asking Lana for the paint.

I have been thinking about this as well. But for the cost of that work plus shipping it back and forth I could essentially order a new one from Lana and throw the one with the paint defects away. And then sending it to one of these super busy painting artists I may mean months of waiting until it would be done and I have the Alamosaurus back.

I will probably give the fix up a try and if this does not work out well I will hard press Lana for a replacement, maybe offering that I will pay for the shipping costs but not the new model. If they reject this, I will possibly go through the Papal route.

When I posted this case I was a hoping that the representative from Haolonggood who is active here would see this and suggest a solution. It cannot be that they deliver their flagship product with paint defects and the only solution is to have to fix it yourself.
There are other alternatives. First of all, there may well be a very understandable reason for the delay, such as an illness, family emergency, shortage of paint pigment supply, etc. Not a bad idea to wait a little while. Then again, you don't have to go to a renowned paleoartist. Myself, I use Bravo Models in Mexico for my complex and challenging commissions, BUT I use a local artist who normally paints (very well too) Warhammer figures, but does my minor commissions as well. He is expert at blending colors. Check in at a local wargaming establishment and see if you can track down a local artist to whom you can hand deliver your figure. Very cost effective.

ceratopsian

Wargaming artist is an excellent suggestion.

Sim

The teased figure has to be Chasmosaurus.  I hope!

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on March 06, 2024, 01:59:35 PMThe teased figure has to be Chasmosaurus.  I hope!

That's what I'm hoping for too. Almost certainly a ceratopsian.

Bread

Darn I was really hoping for the Euoplocephalus to be released next. Oh well...

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Someone in Paleofiguras' comments suggested Udanoceratops and now I can't get over how cool an udano figure would be.

JakobVicent

Quote from: Sim on March 06, 2024, 01:59:35 PMThe teased figure has to be Chasmosaurus.  I hope!

That would be great if it was a chasmosaurus!!

bmathison1972

Quote from: JakobVicent on March 06, 2024, 04:00:54 PM

That would be great if it was a chasmosaurus!!

that would be a new genus for me  ^-^

Sim

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 06, 2024, 04:00:22 PMSomeone in Paleofiguras' comments suggested Udanoceratops and now I can't get over how cool an udano figure would be.
It's known Udanoceratops is coming from Haolonggood, but the tail tip of this figure looks much more like a ceratopsid's than a leptoceratopsid's so I think it's going to be a ceratopsid.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Oh I had no idea they were confirmed to be making one, now I'm quite excited!

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on March 06, 2024, 01:13:46 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on March 06, 2024, 12:51:44 PM

There are other alternatives. First of all, there may well be a very understandable reason for the delay, such as an illness, family emergency, shortage of paint pigment supply, etc. Not a bad idea to wait a little while. Then again, you don't have to go to a renowned paleoartist. Myself, I use Bravo Models in Mexico for my complex and challenging commissions, BUT I use a local artist who normally paints (very well too) Warhammer figures, but does my minor commissions as well. He is expert at blending colors. Check in at a local wargaming establishment and see if you can track down a local artist to whom you can hand deliver your figure. Very cost effective.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Warhammer community. I located actually a Warhammer store in my town. I will contact them tomorrow and see if someone there could actually do the touchup of the Alamosaurus. On the other hand, I have been pondering about learning to do paint chipping fixes of dinosaur models, but was rather thinking of the most simple things like the paint wear on the underside of the feet. The Alamosaurus is probably a too demanding tasks for getting started.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 06, 2024, 07:29:15 AMDid anyone here also get the limited plain edition of the Haolonggood Alamosaurus? I am asking because I had some issues with that. When it arrived, it had a very strong smell of paint unlike any other Haolonggood models that I had obtained so far. Then upon further inspection I noticed sveral places with obvious paint defects, where either the green-brown color had not covered the white color of the primer or where the paint had been rubbed of. My thought was that the model was packed up when the paint was still rather wet or it was dry brushed too strongly, causing the paint defects and the strong smell.The smell disappeared after about a week, but obviously the paint defects did not.

I had purchased the Alamosaurus from Lana Time Shop and so I contacted them. They asked me to send detailed pictures of the areas affected and so I did. After receiving the pictures, they stated that they indeed do believe that this would be paint chipping as they called it. Now the first thing they came up with was that they asked if I can fix this myself. As I have no experience with painting such models, I told them that I would not be able to fix this myself. Then they proposed that they will get one of their painter to mix acrylic paint with the exact color tone and then send this to me. And they told me that they would provide a tutorial video to show me how to apply the paint.

I accepted this because I felt that it would be too much to ask for a full replacement of the model and I also did not want to ruin the overall good relationship with Lana that I have. But now this situation is developing in such a way that after several weeks they still have not shipped this paint and they keep telling me that there would be delay with the painter that has to prepare it and so forth.

What do you think about this case? I have to say that this experience very much frustrates me on several levels. First, why does Haolonggood deliver their most expensive flagship model with such defects and does not apply the most basic quality control which should spot this on and return this to the factory for fixup? Second, why does Lana not give this any priority but delays this week after week?

Lana has had some delays in the art departments of the various studios. I'm still waiting on my Dilophosaurus pair that are about 4 months behind schedule.  So i can see it's possible. If they are trying to match a few different colors of paint, I didn't see any pics showing the damage you mention and what areas it affects, so it may take a bit to get done then ship.

I certainly wouldn't "throw away" a model as it could even be resold with the damaged paint , I guarantee someone would want it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: