News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by Ikessauro, March 13, 2012, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: sauroid on January 22, 2015, 12:24:27 PM
this is cool. i wonder about the authenticity though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELGADO-RUBBERIZED-TRICECERATOPS-MODEL-A-TRUE-PIECE-OF-DINO-CINEMA-HISTORY-/231455392623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e3d1036f

It has to be a tribute piece. In the listing they say "Delgado style" and "replica". Here is a picture of the original Delgado Agathaumas in the collection of the late Forrest J Ackerman http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpg/1a915cc2c8cf81e22d40926bc831a0c3c866b11.jpg
Delgado didn't make moulds, he modeled the flesh and muscle with cotton and strips of latex over his ball and socket armatures and then coated it with natural latex sculpting the scales in positive.
As you can see in the photo of the original model the latex on these eventually rots away and you can see some cotton showing through. Ackerman also had the Stegosaurus and Brontosaurus from King Kong and they were in worse shape when he still had them. Peter Jackson has the Styracosaurus. The only way an original would look this good is if it was restored which would lower the value in my mind. It's a nice tribute however. 

sauroid

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 22, 2015, 04:30:58 PM
I doubt it's original. Not enough wear and tear..doesn't even looked to have been used. My guess is it's one of the re-issues , well I think they were total resculpts based on the designs from the original film and made in the same fashion.  Came out in the late 90's or so. 
Quote from: Doug Watson on January 22, 2015, 10:15:20 PM
It has to be a tribute piece. In the listing they say "Delgado style" and "replica". Here is a picture of the original Delgado Agathaumas in the collection of the late Forrest J Ackerman http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpg/1a915cc2c8cf81e22d40926bc831a0c3c866b11.jpg
Delgado didn't make moulds, he modeled the flesh and muscle with cotton and strips of latex over his ball and socket armatures and then coated it with natural latex sculpting the scales in positive.
As you can see in the photo of the original model the latex on these eventually rots away and you can see some cotton showing through. Ackerman also had the Stegosaurus and Brontosaurus from King Kong and they were in worse shape when he still had them. Peter Jackson has the Styracosaurus. The only way an original would look this good is if it was restored which would lower the value in my mind. It's a nice tribute however. 

cool info. i remember reading through my dad's old Famous Monsters of Filmland mags how Marcel Delgado made all the models for the films King Kong (1933) and Son Of Kong. very fascinating read.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Doug Watson

Quote from: sauroid on January 23, 2015, 03:51:23 AM
cool info. i remember reading through my dad's old Famous Monsters of Filmland mags how Marcel Delgado made all the models for the films King Kong (1933) and Son Of Kong. very fascinating read.

Yes, that is where I first read about Delgado as well and I still have some of my old FMF mags including the original series on Kong. What is interesting is back in the day and still today to a lesser extent props and models were just chucked out or given away when filming was over unless someone thought they could be used again. Ackerman who created FMF saw a need to preserve these items and through his film contacts created the Ackerman collection that people could see for free in his home by appointment. I still kick myself for not making the attempt on my early trips to LA. By the time I found out about it he was already in poor health and had sold off portions of the collection to fund a legal battle with the @#$%? that took the magazine from him. When he died the rest of the collection was scattered at auction much of it in private hands. Another sorry side note on the collection' Ackerman would let people handle and even try on some of the props and there were a few items that some lowlifes stole from him when his back was turned.

sauroid

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 23, 2015, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: sauroid on January 23, 2015, 03:51:23 AM

Yes, that is where I first read about Delgado as well and I still have some of my old FMF mags including the original series on Kong. What is interesting is back in the day and still today to a lesser extent props and models were just chucked out or given away when filming was over unless someone thought they could be used again. Ackerman who created FMF saw a need to preserve these items and through his film contacts created the Ackerman collection that people could see for free in his home by appointment. I still kick myself for not making the attempt on my early trips to LA. By the time I found out about it he was already in poor health and had sold off portions of the collection to fund a legal battle with the @#$%? that took the magazine from him. When he died the rest of the collection was scattered at auction much of it in private hands. Another sorry side note on the collection' Ackerman would let people handle and even try on some of the props and there were a few items that some lowlifes stole from him when his back was turned.
:-( that's really sad. FJA was such an icon in classic horror, sci-fi and fantasy that it's quite unthinkable that all the memorabilia and props he had accumulated through the decades just went to unknown recipients, or worse, to waste. the new incarnation of Famous Monsters mag can never replace the mystique and glory of the original FMOF. (that's where i learned about Ray Harryhausen, Willis O'Brien, Jim Danforth, Godzilla and Toho at five years old, then Jurassic Park happened in my life the following year)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Meso-Cenozoic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

triceratops83

Those are GREAT! I wonder if they'll sell through dansdinosaurs like the others.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Concavenator

Fantasic Lythronax,but come on how is it unfeathered?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on January 26, 2015, 04:24:57 PM
Fantasic Lythronax,but come on how is it unfeathered?

wow..there's me a sitting theropod finally! "Runs to bank account "

Looks like there are no feathers associated with Lythronax at this time as far as the fossil material goes.

Alexxitator

Quote from: Concavenator on January 27, 2015, 07:28:32 AM
Wow that was fast:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/collectA-2015-prehistoric-NASUTOCERATOPS-toy-NEW-all-2015-RELEASES-/201268992600
Pity S&H from Au to EU is so painful. I'll just wait a bit.

Scratch that. This seller only sends within Australia
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

jhudstone

A number of Play Visions figures on Ebay , including a few Prehistoric Marine Reptiles here.

SBell

Quote from: jhudstone on January 28, 2015, 04:36:56 AM
A number of Play Visions figures on Ebay , including a few Prehistoric Marine Reptiles here.

You have a good selection there--but the postage is a bit steep ($10 for a single figure to Canada!). I now that most of it is the usual post office stuff though.

jhudstone

Quote from: SBell on January 28, 2015, 04:56:37 AM
You have a good selection there--but the postage is a bit steep ($10 for a single figure to Canada!). I now that most of it is the usual post office stuff though.

Is there a cheaper way to ship Internationally than Standard Shipping?

Alexxitator

Quote from: jhudstone on January 28, 2015, 06:51:15 AM
Quote from: SBell on January 28, 2015, 04:56:37 AM

Is there a cheaper way to ship Internationally than Standard Shipping?

There must be. I never paid $15,- S&H for such small items from the US. I'm in Holland. A $3,- item and $15,- S&H. Not exactly a bargain.  ;)
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

jhudstone

Quote from: Alexxitator on January 28, 2015, 10:35:37 AM
There must be. I never paid $15,- S&H for such small items from the US. I'm in Holland. A $3,- item and $15,- S&H. Not exactly a bargain.  ;)

I think a lot of international folk buy multiple figures, so that helps - but I would love to find other options if anyone knows about any. On those occasions I list anything on Ebay, I try to accommodate shipping as much as possible because I know how frustrating it is getting stuff internationally. Unfortunately Ebay only lists certain options.

Dinosaurana

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTICS-DINOSAURS-I-COLLECTION-by-Safari-LTD-Museum-Quality-Mint-in-Box-/400850013664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5485cde0

Decent price considering the entirety of the figures and the tags. Also, I know someone was looking for the Protoceratops.

Gwangi

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: