News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2014 Hopes & Dreams

Started by Concavenator, June 30, 2013, 05:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dinosaurs do you think  Papo will release in 2014?

Apatosaurus
10 (16.7%)
Giganotosaurus
18 (30%)
Therizinosaurus
7 (11.7%)
Ceratosaurus
7 (11.7%)
Dilophosaurus
13 (21.7%)
A surprise(specify in comments)
5 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur has been asked by Safari Ltd to provide information on current concerns regarding the proposed Wild Safari Dinos Megalodon figure.  We will submit our thoughts and suggestions tomorrow, if you want to chip in with any comments/suggestions  please do, they will be most welcome and we will forward them on for you.  Time is tight and although we cannot make any promises on Safari Ltd's behalf, there is an opportunity to voice concerns and make constructive comments to perhaps influence the painting of this model.  In 24-hours we will send over what information we have to Safari Ltd.

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 04, 2013, 03:35:39 AM
Wow, these are great!

Pachyrhinosaurus

This model might just be Wild Safari's most impressive ceratopsian to date. It has a stockier, 'bull-life'  appearance similar to the Jurassic Park Pachyrhinosaurus that was recently released. Also, great use of colors. Regarding the JP Pachyrhinosaurus, it appears that someone did a really impressive job modding the figure in the likeness of Tyco's Dino Riders:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/852039-dino-riders-mind-zei-pachyrhinosaurus.html

Monolophosaurus

Again, I really like the colors on this figure. The arms and legs are bit chubbier than I would want it, but I'm sure the design choices were based on stability issues. Kudos to WS for giving an obscure species the spotlight.

Suchomimus

Like the majority of DTF members, I was also hoping for a Suchomimus (or a Baryonyx), and this model will definitely suffice. It now appears that WS Suchomimus, the upcoming CollectA Icthyovenator, and the Papo Spinosaurus all share the same stance.

Megalodon

This is the beast that avid cryptozoologists aspirants claim exists (despite any substantive evidence). I wonder if there is a size difference between the upcoming Megalodon and the Safari Ltd. Monterey Bay Collection Great White Shark.

Megalodon isn't a cryptid. While some people do claim (incorrectly) that it's still alive somewhere today, there's plenty of fossil evidence that it existed, unlike Bigfoot and such.

postsaurischian

Safari is slowly moving in the wrong direction for my tastes. They seem to use that schema of childlike characteristics for all of their figures now (I mean the modern animals as well). I guess I do no longer belong to their potential target audience :(.
I hope that at least the Carnegie Collection will get back to basics and offer something for the more scientific orientated collectors :-\.

O.k., that's not a problem, just my personal taste.
But the "new" shark figure is rubbish and awfully badly designed.

CityRaptor

The three Dinosaurs look good so far.

The Megalodon however is a waste.  Besides just being a Great White Shark,  it also looks rather fake, like it is some sort of movie prop. Should have gone for a shark that is not just an oversized modern shark. Hybodus for example. Or for a non-shark: Leedsichthys.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Neven Florian

I think I will put the suchomimus on my list for 2014. I like the colour.

Ikessauro

I guess the MEgalodon is a reality now, they will not take it back. But I guess they could improve it by adding a few battle scars and improve the mouth if possible. Otherwise looks just like any other Great White. I just don't have much hopes in the scars/wounds department, because it's Safari, maybe Collecta will someday make wounded living dinosaurs or old ones with battle scars and such. Perhaps if Safari adds a parasite to the Megalodon it would look cooler, like the Collecta Rhomaleosaurus.

Concavenator

I love the new 2014 Safari releases,I want them all!but the meg,well,it's not a priority for me,but i could get one eventually

Chad

I'll definitely be picking up the monolophosaurus and pachy. I'm particularly fond of WS's ceratopsians and am glad they're coming out with a pachy as I'm not too crazy about the Papo or Collecta versions. Sadly, I'm in agreement on the megalodon. It just doesn't stand out and I think you'd need to make it big (like Schleich's shonisaurus) to do the immensity of it justice since, let's face it, it's the size of the animal that captures the imagination.

Any word yet if there will be a new Toob? Crossing my fingers for a pterosaur set.

Turret

My opinion about the next year release of WS is positive. I might consider getting the suchomimus and pachyrhinosaurus. I also agree that the megalodon is the weakest of the bunch, I myself don't like the "just a big great white" desighn. Personaly I'd make it a darker color and put some small parasites on it as was suggested to give the impression of it being big.

Concavenator

Curiously,in 2011(when we didn't know about 2012 and of course 2013 and 2014)someone published a list that said(don't ask me who,can't remember):
Carnegie:
Brachiosaurus
Concavenator
Wild Safari:
Suchomimus
Pachyrhinosaurus

All of these will be good sellers I think.Every resculpt they'll do might sell good(if it's a very good improvement)and Suchomimus is.Suchomimus is my 2nd fave dinosaur and we were praying for one some time ago.Here we have one!Usually Suchomimus is mire obscure because of the popularity of Spinosaurus and Baryonyx,so is pleasing to see that.
I don't think Monolophosaurus is a coincidence,Takama.People were wishing for a Chinese theropod,sohere you have!If they will release it it's because it's very suggested I think.The Pachyrhinosaurus is indeed awesome!It's a very intelligent deccision to do that.Safari's recent ceratopsians (Vaga,Diablo)has sold and will sell good.This will also,and this have Walking with Dinosaurs 3-D for his part.
Well,the Megalodon was a big surprise to me.I wasn't very sure that a fourth one would come up,and even less if it's a giant shark.The coloration is understood,as it's the most similar extinct animal to the great white shark.It would have been cooler with a more original coloration,but it might have not looked so realistic.Anyways,I didn't care for a fourth release,but I still see it buyable in my eyes.Now,when will the 2014 Carnegies being announced?

Roselaar

Looking good! I'll definitely be getting all four of these. I agree the Megalodon isn't very inspired, but since I don't have a Great White Shark figure anyway (since I don;t collect modern animals), why not get this one? :)

I would have appreciated it if the Meg had a different paint job from a Great White. It doesn't have to be wholly dissimilar, just different enough to convince people it isn't a Great White. And how about some parasites for detail? Whales have them, why not a shark the size of a whale? Or am I saying something terribly stupid now?

Any word on toobs and the Carnegie line? This is the 25th anniversary of the latter, right? Since the Carnegie Collection has been in decline lately (very few models released, and the last one was a a dud), a decently celebrated anniversary might convince collectors it's still very much alive at least...

BTW, I disagree with making this thread the 2014 thread, since it was about people's hopes for 2014 and not reality. The Collecta 2014 thread was better suited, all you needed to do was remove Collecta from the title and continue updating the first post with new pictures.

Gwangi

I'm excited for the three dinosaurs, in particular the mono and pachy. The Megalodon unfortunately just looks like a white shark and I'm not a fan of the constant attempt by artists to depict them simply as overgrown whites. That said, it is better than the WS white shark and since I do collect sharks (very casually) I might pick one up eventually.

tyrantqueen

Sorry for going off topic, but does anyone know when Carnegie's stuff is going to be shown? Now that Wild Safari has shown their toys, Carnegie can't be too far off, right? Considering they belong to the same parent company, Safari Ltd.

QuoteSafari is slowly moving in the wrong direction for my tastes. They seem to use that schema of childlike characteristics for all of their figures now (I mean the modern animals as well). I guess I do no longer belong to their potential target audience :(.
I hope that at least the Carnegie Collection will get back to basics and offer something for the more scientific orientated collectors :-\.

I agree. I hope we see something really great from Forest Rogers this time around. The Concavenator was a let down.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 04, 2013, 04:34:49 PM
Sorry for going off topic, but does anyone know when Carnegie's stuff is going to be shown? Now that Wild Safari has shown their toys, Carnegie can't be too far off, right? Considering they belong to the same parent company, Safari Ltd.

QuoteSafari is slowly moving in the wrong direction for my tastes. They seem to use that schema of childlike characteristics for all of their figures now (I mean the modern animals as well). I guess I do no longer belong to their potential target audience :(.

I agree. I hope we see something really great from Forest Rogers this time around. The Concavenator was a let down.

Not because of Ms. Roger's sculpting work though..it's a really nice sculpt but the pose and all I think made it to similar to the Giga..of course that seems to have been the intent..to show it has family ties and is related..a simple way to do that is by making it similar to their existing toy for kids. At least it was painted the exact same way. ;)

Maybe they could put a prehistoric whale calf with it as a prey item ? That would probably help the Meg and not cost much more.

CityRaptor

Well, Concavenator looks a lot like a Giganotosaurus with a sail to begin with. So yes, I think they should have done another pose.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

John

For me,the two that stand out the most are the Pachyrhinosaurus and C. megalodon shark (I'm not sure whether it's Carcharodon or Carcharocles) ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

With the Concavenator it was a combination of the pose and also the paint job that turned me off. The sculpt itself is fine but from what I've seen in pictures the paint application and choices were pretty poor.

sauroid

Quote from: Roselaar on September 04, 2013, 03:03:17 PM
Looking good! I'll definitely be getting all four of these. I agree the Megalodon isn't very inspired, but since I don't have a Great White Shark figure anyway (since I don;t collect modern animals), why not get this one? :)

I would have appreciated it if the Meg had a different paint job from a Great White. It doesn't have to be wholly dissimilar, just different enough to convince people it isn't a Great White. And how about some parasites for detail? Whales have them, why not a shark the size of a whale? Or am I saying something terribly stupid now?

Any word on toobs and the Carnegie line? This is the 25th anniversary of the latter, right? Since the Carnegie Collection has been in decline lately (very few models released, and the last one was a a dud), a decently celebrated anniversary might convince collectors it's still very much alive at least...

BTW, I disagree with making this thread the 2014 thread, since it was about people's hopes for 2014 and not reality. The Collecta 2014 thread was better suited, all you needed to do was remove Collecta from the title and continue updating the first post with new pictures.
or maybe just merge this thread with the 2014 figures (CollectA) thread?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Seijun

The pachy has bizarre-looking hands, as usual. The rest looks nice.

Sucho's face looks a little.. off. Like, they tried to accurately sculpt the fish trap shape of the jaws, almost did it, and then failed (it has a slightly JP Spino-esque feel to it). Still a nice figure though.

Megalo... Yeah... Looks like an inferior copy of the Monterey Bay great white shark figure.

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

cordylus

I still don't really understand the criticism of the megalodon looking "too much" like a white shark; I think the general consensus is that is indeed what they looked like.... Now, if you were to complain because it's uninteresting or poor quality that's much more understandable.

Maybe as a constructive criticism, they could change the color from grey top/ white bottom to more of a navy blue dorsal coloration with black tips to its fins. That way maybe people wouldn't skip over it saying it looks too much like a great white.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: