News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2014 Hopes & Dreams

Started by Concavenator, June 30, 2013, 05:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dinosaurs do you think  Papo will release in 2014?

Apatosaurus
10 (16.7%)
Giganotosaurus
18 (30%)
Therizinosaurus
7 (11.7%)
Ceratosaurus
7 (11.7%)
Dilophosaurus
13 (21.7%)
A surprise(specify in comments)
5 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Ikessauro

Someone should post these photos at the 2014 thread. I'm very excited, the Pachy is the best, but I like the other's too. Megalodon is nice, but they could have done something else... hey, at least now I'll have a Meg to display next to my Meg tooth replica.

Everything_Dinosaur

Wild Safari Dinos new for 2014 model measurements as follows:

Monolophosaurus measures just over 19cm long and just under 8cm tall.

Suchomimus measures a fraction over 19cm long but just under 10cm tall

Pachyrhinosaurus stats: just under 18cm long and just under 8cm high at the frill if memory serves us right

Megalodon measures around 18cm in length and just under 10cm wide when measured across the pectoral fins.

Yutyrannus

Will get all exept the Meg, it is a shame that they chose to make that when they could have done a basilosaurus :-\.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

Quote from: Yutyrannus on September 03, 2013, 10:07:56 PM
Will get all exept the Meg, it is a shame that they chose to make that when they could have done a basilosaurus :-\.

Safari for some reason cannot make mammals

Splonkadumpocus

Megalodon: Kind of meh, but Miocene animals are rare enough that I'll get one anyway.

Balaur

The Suchomimus and Monolophosaurus are wonderul, but the only problem is with the feet again. Come on Safari, just, make those feet smaller, please?

The one that I REALLY dig is the Pachyrhinosaurus. It is totally wonderful! The Megalodon, I'm kind of disappointed in it, but ill still get it probably

Yutyrannus

When I first saw I was a little dissapointed by the Suchomimus, but I think it is still and incredable model. In fact the ones of these that I really want are the Suchomimus and the Pachyrhinosaurus. Anyway, I decided to post a description of what I thought the Suchomimus was going to look like.

The Suchomimus the way I pictured it was in the same pose as the Carnegie Baryonyx, but with the head pointed down. It was smooth and the scales were a little bit reflective, like a python. I pictured its coloration as midnight blue with a cream colored underbelly and throat. It was slender and completely lacking in spines or knobs of any kind and since it had one hand helping to hold it up like the Carnegie Baryonyx, the hands and feet were normal sized. And the mouth was closed.

Even though the figure doesn't look quite as cool as it would've if they did it this way, it is still an amazing figure and I really like it :)!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Balaur on September 04, 2013, 12:29:06 AM
The Suchomimus and Monolophosaurus are wonderul, but the only problem is with the feet again. Come on Safari, just, make those feet smaller, please?

The one that I REALLY dig is the Pachyrhinosaurus. It is totally wonderful! The Megalodon, I'm kind of disappointed in it, but ill still get it probably

It was mentioned today by one of Safari's sculptors that stores don't like dinosaurs that don't stand up..hence the large feet. It's a structural solution to a business demand..we're just stuck with it. You could buy those feet in faux water, sand, mud, ect.. to hide em'.. lol

I'll certainly buy all the dinosaurs...the Meg..eh..I'm underwhelmed. I'm sure it will sell though on it's name alone.

cordylus

Quote from: brandem on September 03, 2013, 08:45:24 PM
hmm megalodon looks sorta bland, I've always perferred the idea that carcharocles megalodon looked more like a big sandtiger shark, you could have some real fun designing a whale eating shark around that body pattern (and i have too).  But people find something compelling about an overstuffed great white *yawn*

The reason they find it "compelling" to shape it more similar to a white shark is because of it's shared lineage with great whites and makos - megalodon is only distantly related to sand tiger sharks, so why would it look like them? It's also presumed they lived really different lifestyles so It wouldn't make sense for them to look similar even if you tried to find some significance in convergent evolution.

crankydinosaur

mehhh

any fun new toobs coming?

Takama

Am I the only one whose surprised by the Megolodon?

I mean is it really a Megolodon? or is it just a new Great White Shark Figure?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on September 03, 2013, 08:20:29 PM
Our first images of the Wild Safari Dinos range from Safari Ltd, there are going to be four model introductions in 2014 into this not to scale range by Safari Ltd, we discussed the dinosaurs Monolophosaurus, Suchomimus and the Pachyrhinosaurus a few days ago, they are going to be joined by a Carcharodon megalodon.

Suchomimus:

The prototypes we saw were painted a blueish hue, similar to the paint colour on the Wild Safari Gryposaurus that was introduced this year.

Monolophosaurus:

Pachyrhinosaurus:

The Carcharodon megalodon model:

We will post up more updates and information when we (Everything Dinosaur) get them, availability of these models - from Late February 2014 but this date could change, however, we will do what we can to keep everyone posted.

Wow, these are great!

Pachyrhinosaurus

This model might just be Wild Safari's most impressive ceratopsian to date. It has a stockier, 'bull-life'  appearance similar to the Jurassic Park Pachyrhinosaurus that was recently released. Also, great use of colors. Regarding the JP Pachyrhinosaurus, it appears that someone did a really impressive job modding the figure in the likeness of Tyco's Dino Riders:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/852039-dino-riders-mind-zei-pachyrhinosaurus.html

Monolophosaurus

Again, I really like the colors on this figure. The arms and legs are bit chubbier than I would want it, but I'm sure the design choices were based on stability issues. Kudos to WS for giving an obscure species the spotlight.

Suchomimus

Like the majority of DTF members, I was also hoping for a Suchomimus (or a Baryonyx), and this model will definitely suffice. It now appears that WS Suchomimus, the upcoming CollectA Icthyovenator, and the Papo Spinosaurus all share the same stance.

Megalodon

This is the beast that avid cryptozoologists aspirants claim exists (despite any substantive evidence). I wonder if there is a size difference between the upcoming Megalodon and the Safari Ltd. Monterey Bay Collection Great White Shark.

brandem

Quote from: cordylus on September 04, 2013, 03:09:20 AM
Quote from: brandem on September 03, 2013, 08:45:24 PM
hmm megalodon looks sorta bland, I've always perferred the idea that carcharocles megalodon looked more like a big sandtiger shark, you could have some real fun designing a whale eating shark around that body pattern (and i have too).  But people find something compelling about an overstuffed great white *yawn*

The reason they find it "compelling" to shape it more similar to a white shark is because of it's shared lineage with great whites and makos - megalodon is only distantly related to sand tiger sharks, so why would it look like them? It's also presumed they lived really different lifestyles so It wouldn't make sense for them to look similar even if you tried to find some significance in convergent evolution.

well there we get into the spotty fossil remains sharks leave behind, as I mentioned in my other post last I read what we have is a tangential link between makos, whites and megalodon. however among lamnoids (among whom whites, sand tigers, and megalodons are members) the basic sand tiger body design has evolved in four separate families (Mitsukurina, Carcharias, Odontaspis, and Pseudocarcharias) suggesting that the body shape could be symplesiomorphous to the lamnoids, where as the whites "chubby torpedo" appears to have evolved once among one family, and when you add that otodus, the likely ancestor of megalodon, has teeth very much like a sand tiger I really don't see it as being far fetched.  True sand tigers probably live very different lives than megs(and see my other comment for how megs and whites hunting method differed) however, we often see the same body type on different scales will fill different niches.

dinohunter24

So cool well except that giant shark since I don't collect sea animal. 

However there only going to be 4 model release for 2014?

Bokisaurus

Our first images of the Wild Safari Dinos range from Safari Ltd, there are going to be four model introductions in 2014 into this not to scale range by Safari Ltd, we discussed the dinosaurs Monolophosaurus, Suchomimus and the Pachyrhinosaurus a few days ago, they are going to be joined by a Carcharodon megalodon.

Suchomimus:

The prototypes we saw were painted a blueish hue, similar to the paint colour on the Wild Safari Gryposaurus that was introduced this year.

Monolophosaurus:

Pachyrhinosaurus:

We will post up more updates and information when we (Everything Dinosaur) get them, availability of these models - from Late February 2014 but this date could change, however, we will do what we can to keep everyone posted.

Nice figures. Suchomimus will be a good companion to CollectA's. Is it just me, or it's arms look a bit big?
Favorite is the Pachy, lovely sculpt on that one.
As for the megalodon... why? It looks like a great white ;D And it also looks very sloppy compared  to the others. REally, they should just picked Xiphactinus. I guess they have to pick one that is popular. ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 04, 2013, 06:12:00 AM

Suchomimus:

Monolophosaurus:

Pachyrhinosaurus:

Nice figures. Suchomimus will be a good companion to CollectA's. Is it just me, or it's arms look a bit big?
Favorite is the Pachy, lovely sculpt on that one.
As for the megalodon... why? It looks like a great white ;D And it also looks very sloppy compared  to the others. REally, they should just picked Xiphactinus. I guess they have to pick one that is popular. ;D

Sucho has pretty bulky arms compared to the body..I think it was Malcolm who mentioned it while sculpting his piece.

sauroid

i just realised that this thread IS the 2014 thread.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

maybe a re-title is order ?

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

joossa

I like the Suchomimus the best and I'm usually not too fond of theropods form Safari.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: