News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow DINOSAURIA (with poll)

Started by postsaurischian, March 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your 3 favourite Sideshow 'Dinosauria' models?

1. Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus diorama
4 (22.2%)
2. Apatosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
3. Brachiosaurus ornament
0 (0%)
4. Carnotaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
5. Ceratosaurus
1 (5.6%)
6. Deinosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus diorama
3 (16.7%)
7. Dilophosaurus maquette
0 (0%)
8. Euoplocephalus in Egg maquette
0 (0%)
9. Gastonia
3 (16.7%)
10. Mosasaur statue
3 (16.7%)
11. Protoceratops vs. Velociraptor diorama
0 (0%)
12. Spinosaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
13. Stegosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
14. Styracosaurus maquette
1 (5.6%)
15. Triceratops statue
2 (11.1%)
16. Tupuxuara maquette
2 (11.1%)
17. Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
5 (27.8%)
18. Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops diorama
1 (5.6%)
19. T-rex: 'The Tyrant King' statue
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

rfdelgado

Thanks Tyrant Queen

the other pics look great, as does the baby :)

The stego loks great as well, but I have the first version :)

Apparently the line is doing well:)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Pre-ordered the exclusive version. The baby Trike is a great exclusive..glad they started listening to the fans.  I knew the Trike would go well with the Rex.  Now you have to have both to make a big diorama. :)

They might have changed the spines to scutes to avoid damage in shipping.

Yeah Stego looks okay..about the same as the original actually...at least to me.  I have the first so I'm happy.

SpartanSquat

Man! Its beautifull! I cant decided! Tyrannosaurus, Carnotaurus, Godzilla 2014...and now these! Why Universe?! xD

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would say to go with the smallest edition size..but we don't know what they are yet really.

postsaurischian

The Mosasaur is soon to be expected, so all vote counts have been reset to 0 (as I do with every new release).
Also the little ones (Brachiosaurus & Euoplocephalus hatchlings)  and the re-issues have been added to the voting list on the first page.

The winner of the last poll was the Apatosaurus maquette. Happy voting :)!

SpartanSquat

Blade-of-the-Moon

looks alright..but not enough to make me buy it again...especially with all the new pieces coming up.

rfdelgado

I just voted Spino, Allo/camara and in an upset the Euo in egg!

Can't believe  I left the others out!~

rfdelgado

Love 'em all, except the vela/proto

don't have that one.

I dunno, that pose...it's the only piece that does not fire me up.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like it..hard to see each animal of course but I love it's based on an actual fossil find.

tyrantqueen

Okay, I have to say this because I think I'm going to burst if I don't. I've noticed that when the news about the Sideshow statues being re-issued broke, many people got upset about it and started ranting about how they thought Sideshow shouldn't have done it. And yet, the Battat toys are going to be re-issued and no-one has a problem with it.

I actually used to own several Battats, which included the version 3 Tyrannosaurus, the Diplodocus, and the Acrocanthosaurus. I don't have a problem with them being re-issued again...at all. I spent over $200 on my Diplo, and over $200 again on my Tyrannosaurus. But that's ok.

Yes, SS statues are significantly more expensive than Battat were, but some of the rarer Battats do go for $100+ on eBay nowadays. The situation is the same. Battat said they were re-issuing the old sculpts with new paintjobs so that collectors could retain the rarity of their old figures. One of the complaints about the SSes being re-issued was that it would bring down the value of the originals. And yet I don't hear a peep from the Battat fans about this.

You might argue that the SS line claimed that their models were of a limited run, so the situation is different. I don't agree with this because Battat have been out of production for a long time. None of us knew that they were going to go back into production again. I would also argue that ALL toy lines are limited runs, because no company will keep releasing the same toy non stop over the years. All toy lines are retired eventually.

I find this whole situation to be hypocritical, and to be honest, it makes me a little angry. I was actually put off from purchasing from the SS line because of the snobbery that I perceived from purists.

My only hope is that now the complaining about the SS re-issues will cease. I hope this didn't come across as too angry but I had to get this off my chest :P

Thanks for reading :)

Paleogene Pals

I agree with you TQ. Thanks for saying it.

DinoLord

I don't agree with the SS fans who were upset over the reissues, but I do think there is some sort of difference. SS sculptures are inherently marketed as collectables with values that will go up once the line is retired. Yes Battats are discontinued, but in their time they were mass-produced and those who bought them general didn't do so with the idea that their value would increase substantially in the future. Also though Battats are expensive, none of them approach the prices retired SS models are going for on eBay. Once again, I'm not one of those folks who thinks the SS reissues are a terrible thing (I regret having missed out on the Krentz Rex myself and wish that would come back in some form) but I do think the situation is not quite the same as that of the battat line.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've said my piece before but to sum it up I felt it was a low blow and a grab for funds by Sideshow.  To me it's the same as buying a rare coin a dealer says he only has 10 of but in the back he has a case of them and he's selling this same story to everyone that comes through.  It's not about stopping others from getting them or being a snob, lord knows I don't think of myself that way and I've never kicked someone for not having something I did.

Seijun

I am not sad about the reissues. I only own the apato and I like the original color better than the reissue.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 20, 2014, 11:08:12 PM
Okay, I have to say this because I think I'm going to burst if I don't. I've noticed that when the news about the Sideshow statues being re-issued broke, many people got upset about it and started ranting about how they thought Sideshow shouldn't have done it. And yet, the Battat toys are going to be re-issued and no-one has a problem with it.

I actually used to own several Battats, which included the version 3 Tyrannosaurus, the Diplodocus, and the Acrocanthosaurus. I don't have a problem with them being re-issued again...at all. I spent over $200 on my Diplo, and over $200 again on my Tyrannosaurus. But that's ok.

Yes, SS statues are significantly more expensive than Battat were, but some of the rarer Battats do go for $100+ on eBay nowadays. The situation is the same. Battat said they were re-issuing the old sculpts with new paintjobs so that collectors could retain the rarity of their old figures. One of the complaints about the SSes being re-issued was that it would bring down the value of the originals. And yet I don't hear a peep from the Battat fans about this.

You might argue that the SS line claimed that their models were of a limited run, so the situation is different. I don't agree with this because Battat have been out of production for a long time. None of us knew that they were going to go back into production again. I would also argue that ALL toy lines are limited runs, because no company will keep releasing the same toy non stop over the years. All toy lines are retired eventually.

I find this whole situation to be hypocritical, and to be honest, it makes me a little angry. I was actually put off from purchasing from the SS line because of the snobbery that I perceived from purists.

My only hope is that now the complaining about the SS re-issues will cease. I hope this didn't come across as too angry but I had to get this off my chest :P

Thanks for reading :)
Don't let the snobs and elitists put you off getting something from the Sideshow Dinosauria line if you want something from it.Just tell them where they can stick their hypocritical attitudes. >:D
I have the Sideshow Apatosaurus and I have absolutely no problem with it coming out again soon. :)
And I also happened to be around to get the Battat line when they were new the first time around some 15 years ago,and I will be happy to see models like the Diplodocus for instance available for a price that is NOT in the triple digits! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Ikessauro

I agree with you in some ways. But don't forget, Battats originally were sold for toy prices and took quite a few years to reach high prices. Sideshow Collectibles practically double in price 6 months after being retired... :-\

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 20, 2014, 11:08:12 PM

I think you're taking this to heart a bit too much :-\.
You're bringing off enemy images that are non-existent.
I don't know whom you mean by "snobs" or "purists".
I think no one here is upset.
Maybe now after we've started this pointless discussion again.

tyrantqueen

QuoteDon't let the snobs and elitists put you off getting something from the Sideshow Dinosauria line if you want something from it.Just tell them where they can stick their hypocritical attitudes. >:D
I have the Sideshow Apatosaurus and I have absolutely no problem with it coming out again soon. :)
And I also happened to be around to get the Battat line when they were new the first time around some 15 years ago,and I will be happy to see models like the Diplodocus for instance available for a price that is NOT in the triple digits! ;D
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Arul

mosasaur statue is awesome,how they made that :0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: