You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

FUTABA

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 27, 2014, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: FUTABA on February 27, 2014, 07:14:42 PM
It must be a bit rarer than the blue one as I don't think I've seen the green version before. It's a nice colour scheme, probably more realistic in fairness (although I prefer the blue overall because I'm biased ::) ). I think my blue variant cost about £15 with shipping so you certainly got yourself a bargain. I'll have to keep a look out for the alternate one though. It could be a female for my little guy.

http://www.urzeitshop.de/Dinosaurier-Spielzeug/Bullyland/Archaeopteryx-Dinosaurier-Spielzeug-von-Bullyland.html

http://www.sandspielfiguren.de/index.php?main_page=product_sandspielfigur_info&cPath=2_62&products_id=2117

Thanks for the links. :)
I really really like blue things.

Gwangi

Patience pays off, I found the remainder of the Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus set on eBay for a reasonable price (I already had the Yutyrannus).

And of course, the Bullyland Protochirotherium kindly provided by Libraraptor.

FUTABA

Lovely Tyrannosaurs. I have the feathered one and the Yutyrannus. Might have to keep a look out for the skeletal items. And the teenie weenie little human skull for scale is a great touch, as is the human skeleton.

AHHHH you people keep giving me ideas to buy stuff and I'm really trying to keep check on my bank balance here! :P

By the way, what's that one in the background poking his head up towards the top right corner. Beige coloured and looks like an Ornithomimid.
I really really like blue things.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: FUTABA on February 28, 2014, 06:27:37 PM
Lovely Tyrannosaurs. I have the feathered one and the Yutyrannus. Might have to keep a look out for the skeletal items. And the teenie weenie little human skull for scale is a great touch, as is the human skeleton.

AHHHH you people keep giving me ideas to buy stuff and I'm really trying to keep check on my bank balance here! :P

By the way, what's that one in the background poking his head up towards the top right corner. Beige coloured and looks like an Ornithomimid.

DinoRiders Struthiomimus. One of the finest  figures of one out there I think.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 28, 2014, 07:31:27 PM

Agreed, and also the oldest feathered dinosaur toy that I'm aware of, later releases would smooth them out though.

Roselaar

There's not many Struthiomimus figures to begin with, is there? Tyco's take on it is definitely among the best of the bunch.

0onarcissisto0

Haha, interesting that you guys picked up on the feather texturing on that Tyco Struthiomimus as well. I mentioned it in my youtube Dino Riders Struthiomimus toy review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BrKAb0b4x8
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Roselaar on February 28, 2014, 09:51:27 PM

There's not many Struthiomimus figures to begin with, is there? Tyco's take on it is definitely among the best of the bunch.

So true unfortunately..there needs to be more Ornithomimids out there.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2014, 12:55:50 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on February 28, 2014, 09:51:27 PM

So true unfortunately..there needs to be more Ornithomimids out there.

Agreed, but there is a long list of dinosaurs that need more exposure. All of the more basal genera and alvarezsaurs too.

SBell

Protochirotherium arrived today! Hooray! And in great shape, despite the best efforts of our postal deliverer.

tanystropheus

Quote from: 0onarcissisto0 on February 28, 2014, 10:17:26 PM
Haha, interesting that you guys picked up on the feather texturing on that Tyco Struthiomimus as well. I mentioned it in my youtube Dino Riders Struthiomimus toy review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BrKAb0b4x8

I watched your video a while back, and I am really curious about the issue concerning feathered texturing. I've heard that there is a feathered and a non-feathered variant of that model. I'm confused regarding how Tyco even possessed the knowledge about feathered dinosaurs in the first place...was this something that was even talked about amongst paleontologist circles 20+ years ago? The DR Struthiomimus aged gracefully, along with Protoceratops, Edmontonia (although, the Edmonto is probably anatomically inaccurate) and Kentrosaurus.

Great videos, by the way  :)

Gwangi

Illustrations of feathered dinosaurs have been around since the late 70's I believe, though they were hard to come by. By the late 80's the link between dinosaurs and birds was well established but we didn't have direct evidence for feathering, even still some like Robert Bakker and Greg Paul were illustrating feathered dinosaurs. Both their books (The Dinosaur Heresies and Predatory Dinosaurs) came out in the late 80's. I think Tyco may have drawn inspiration from them or just been fairly up to date on the science, they certainly made much more accurate dinosaur toys than they should have cared to. Feathers on Struthiomimus may have been a natural assumption due to the similarity to ostriches but I agree, it is quite shocking that they went to the trouble or even thought to do it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

A sign we just received that will part of a display where visitors can touch a T-Rex tooth and a piece of T-Rex skin !

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2014, 04:58:12 AM
A sign we just received that will part of a display where visitors can touch a T-Rex tooth and a piece of T-Rex skin !

I would assume you are using replicas, so the sign might be perhaps a bit more informative if it stated they are replicas? Just a thought........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Roselaar

Got this delightful bunch of Kaiyodosaurs in today, thanks to Chad:

alexeratops

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 01, 2014, 04:58:12 AM

Can you post pics of that safari ammonite in the corner? :))I didn't know anyone here had it yet!
like a bantha!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 01, 2014, 03:53:26 AM
Illustrations of feathered dinosaurs have been around since the late 70's I believe, though they were hard to come by. By the late 80's the link between dinosaurs and birds was well established but we didn't have direct evidence for feathering, even still some like Robert Bakker and Greg Paul were illustrating feathered dinosaurs. Both their books (The Dinosaur Heresies and Predatory Dinosaurs) came out in the late 80's. I think Tyco may have drawn inspiration from them or just been fairly up to date on the science, they certainly made much more accurate dinosaur toys than they should have cared to. Feathers on Struthiomimus may have been a natural assumption due to the similarity to ostriches but I agree, it is quite shocking that they went to the trouble or even thought to do it.

Thanks for the information regarding the possible sources for Tyco's inspiration. They were definitely ahead of their time. It makes me wonder where the DR series would have been if they continued it to this day. Great to know that visionaries, like Robert Bakker and Greg Paul, were able to illuminate the minds of people even in the late 80's  :)

Gwangi

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 01, 2014, 03:38:59 PM

Thanks for the information regarding the possible sources for Tyco's inspiration. They were definitely ahead of their time. It makes me wonder where the DR series would have been if they continued it to this day. Great to know that visionaries, like Robert Bakker and Greg Paul, were able to illuminate the minds of people even in the late 80's  :)

They were very good for their time, so good that it is no wonder why the Smithsonian adopted the Tyco dinosaurs as their museum line. They just re-packaged them without the humans and weapons. Some of the dinosaurs were modified for the Smithsonian and oddly enough it is the Smithsonian line Struthiomimus that lacks the feathers I believe.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on March 01, 2014, 04:22:46 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 01, 2014, 03:38:59 PM

They were very good for their time, so good that it is no wonder why the Smithsonian adopted the Tyco dinosaurs as their museum line. They just re-packaged them without the humans and weapons. Some of the dinosaurs were modified for the Smithsonian and oddly enough it is the Smithsonian line Struthiomimus that lacks the feathers I believe.

I wonder if it was re-sculpting or an issue of the mold wearing out ? The feathers are pretty fine there so easy to obscure in either case.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: