News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on July 03, 2014, 10:10:05 PM
Picked this up at a local used book store.

The dinosaurs aren't worth getting this book for, other books have tackled them way better and the book is dated, published in 1998. What makes the book unique is the wide coverage of other prehistoric animals which are rarely tackled. Fishes, amphibians, mammals and other synapsids, archosaurs, lepidosaurus...lots of coverage. Far from a complete encyclopedia mind you but better than most.

The illustrations in that book have been re-published many times. I have a CD-ROM from 1992 called Grolier's Prehistoria that has exactly the same illustrations (except the T.rex is different, and there are no conodonts). It also features video clips, including ones from PBS' Dinosaur!

So yeah, the info is dated (I want to say that the pictures are from Dixon, which would put them in the 1980s, but I can't remember). They get used a lot, often without permission, in a lot of books and museums.

On the other hand, they are the inspiration for the Play Visions Prehistoric mammals (large and small set--which is why we know that the small Smilodon is really Homotherium), the Amphibians and the marine reptiles (the PV dinos are just pointless).

Gwangi

I recognize a lot of the dinosaur illustrations (probably from other Dixon books) so what you're saying makes sense. Some of them are not so bad (Parasaurolophus) but most of them are very dated and inaccurate (Acrocanthosaurus) like you said. It seems like multiple artists were responsible for them but I only saw one artist credited with the dinosaurs.

Most of the non-dinosaurs seem passable. Couldn't say if the info relating to them is up to speed because I'm not as well versed in them.

I thought a lot of the amphibians looked awfully similar to the Play Vision set of those, I had wondered if one was inspired by the other. Thanks for the confirmation!

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on July 07, 2014, 02:34:31 AM
I recognize a lot of the dinosaur illustrations (probably from other Dixon books) so what you're saying makes sense. Some of them are not so bad (Parasaurolophus) but most of them are very dated and inaccurate (Acrocanthosaurus) like you said. It seems like multiple artists were responsible for them but I only saw one artist credited with the dinosaurs.

Most of the non-dinosaurs seem passable. Couldn't say if the info relating to them is up to speed because I'm not as well versed in them.

I thought a lot of the amphibians looked awfully similar to the Play Vision set of those, I had wondered if one was inspired by the other. Thanks for the confirmation!

No problem, it's come up before--I know that there is a Simon & Schuster Encyclopedia that came out about the same time, with the exact same illustrations.

For the most parts, the non-dinos are okay. Obviously, artwork by Csotonyi or Anton (or so many others) are vastly superior, but the context of the books matters too.

But the illustrations are dated--and there are A LOT of missing new ones that would seem egregious to omit now. Time for an updated version!

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Gwangi on July 02, 2014, 10:36:22 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 02, 2014, 08:35:09 AM
Quote from: SBell on July 02, 2014, 02:20:17 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 02, 2014, 01:52:40 AM
Oh that Kaiyodo Seismosaurus is very nice figure. I got the dark grey one.

It's Kabaya, not Kaiyodo.

Thanks for the correction. I wanted to say Kabaya, but came out Kaiyodo. Better than Kinto!

Speaking of which, I'm looking for the Kinto Spinosaurus...again...I never seem to go ahead with it. Where is the cheapest I can find it at?

The orange one? Dejankins has it for $13.50.
http://www.dejankins.com/kinto-favorite-collection/

Ah, thanks. I need a little bit more disposable cash. I spent all my $ on drinks and vacation related stuff...

Jetoar

Awesome acquisitions friends  ^-^. These are the mine  ^-^.

The last figures are based in DK models  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Hynerpeton

Never seen the package Dino's.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

SBell

Quote from: predino on July 08, 2014, 10:32:43 PM

They look like Nayab figures I saw at Xmas time around here, but with different packages--apparently, some sort of Discovery license!

Hynerpeton

Quote from: SBell on July 08, 2014, 11:47:33 PM
Quote from: predino on July 08, 2014, 10:32:43 PM

They look like Nayab figures I saw at Xmas time around here, but with different packages--apparently, some sort of Discovery license!

Where can they be bought?
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

docronnie

Excellent haul .... Congrats Jetoar!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

stoneage

:)  Are you going to take the Discovery Dinos out of their packaging?  I would like to be able to see what they look like.

Hynerpeton

Quote from: stoneage on July 10, 2014, 12:02:23 AM
:)  Are you going to take the Discovery Dinos out of their packaging?  I would like to be able to see what they look like.

Me too.
Walking With Monsers:

Jetoar

Figures out package

Giganotosaurus

Suchomimus

Brachiosaurus
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

docronnie

Not bad Jetoar ... they are recognizable ... have never seen them before.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:

Zhuchengotyrant

Hello;
These are my recent figures:

My Personal Favorite: Safari Albertosaurus
-Zhuchengotyrant

amargasaurus cazaui

Had been considering getting the upper two figures, the Iguanodon, and Torosaurus, are they as nice in person as they look?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 11, 2014, 03:10:49 AM
Had been considering getting the upper two figures, the Iguanodon, and Torosaurus, are they as nice in person as they look?

The Iguanodon is okay, a little bulky--it stands out as substantially larger than the other ornithopods they've made.

The Torosaurus is great--a very good figure.

amargasaurus cazaui

Thanks for the answer, I will have to get those two then, sound like decent figures overall.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 11, 2014, 03:44:10 AM
Thanks for the answer, I will have to get those two then, sound like decent figures overall.
The head of the iguanodon is slightly more lowered, but it is better. The thing that bugs me off is the paint. ;)
-Zhuchengotyrant

docronnie

Congrats Zhuchengo! 😃

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: