You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Roselaar on March 11, 2015, 04:45:08 PM
Congrats, that's a lovely retro Brontosaurus. It kinda has an Invicta touch to it.
Quote from: sauroid on March 11, 2015, 04:45:26 PM
so cool. that Brontosaurus doesnt look too cartoony at all.

Thank you its a very elegant sculpt with some interesting details, nothing like the other Marx Brontosaurus I think it is my new favourite vintage piece. The T rex in the set was an enlarged version of the smaller slim Marx T rex but this one and the Stegosaurus are completely new (for back then) sculpts.

docronnie

Congrats Doug!  :)

I know a lot of those kind of sellers here personally.  It's only business to them, nothing personal.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Doug Watson

Quote from: docronnie on March 12, 2015, 12:34:36 AM

I know a lot of those kind of sellers here personally.  It's only business to them, nothing personal.

I know it's nothing personal but for me as a businessman it is bad business to keep listing an item again and again at an inflated price and not sell anything. I am going to a Nostalgia Toy Show this weekend and I can guarantee I will see the same dealers trotting out the same items that they had there for the last 5 years and still haven't sold or changed the price.

SBell

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 12, 2015, 02:02:24 AM
Quote from: docronnie on March 12, 2015, 12:34:36 AM

I know it's nothing personal but for me as a businessman it is bad business to keep listing an item again and again at an inflated price and not sell anything. I am going to a Nostalgia Toy Show this weekend and I can guarantee I will see the same dealers trotting out the same items that they had there for the last 5 years and still haven't sold or changed the price.

Agreed--it's especially obvious on auction sites. No matter how many times an auction is passed over, there are sellers that keep their prices far above what people will pay. My perspective has always been that quick, modest-margin turn-around is better business than a high one-time margin.

Shadowknight1

Thanks to the reviews, I bought a Yutyrannus huali from Dan's Dinosaurs eBay page.  Heh, with this guy and Rebor's Utahraptor and Acrocanthosaurus, I'm starting to have to figure out how to fit all my dinos together.  Even with "replacing" my Papo standing rex and Favorite blue Spinosaurus with the CollectA deluxe feathered rex and Spinosaurus, it's gonna be a tight squeeze lol
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

The wait is finally over !!! After hunting carnegie tylo for almost one year, finally got it  ::)

Uroplatus

Got this in the mail yesterday.., i actually only wanted the big bleu guy but the dinosaurs where advertised together for a ridiculous low price so bought them all 3, and the seller sent me the whale and the dvd for free with them. :)

SBell

Quote from: Uroplatus on March 12, 2015, 01:39:29 PM
Got this in the mail yesterday.., i actually only wanted the big bleu guy but the dinosaurs where advertised together for a ridiculous low price so bought them all 3, and the seller sent me the whale and the dvd for free with them. :)

Sending you that movie is just mean. Make sure to watch the no-dialogue version.

laticauda

Quote from: SBell on March 12, 2015, 04:09:09 PM

Sending you that movie is just mean. Make sure to watch the no-dialogue version.

Hey, play nice.   :)  I saw it in the theatre with my son, and we loved it.  I am not saying the dialog was great, or had a great plot, but if you just sit back, relax, enjoy the popcorn, it actually was fun.  Sometimes you just have to forget being an adult, and just be a kid. 

SBell

Quote from: laticauda on March 12, 2015, 05:39:18 PM

Hey, play nice.   :)  I saw it in the theatre with my son, and we loved it.  I am not saying the dialog was great, or had a great plot, but if you just sit back, relax, enjoy the popcorn, it actually was fun.  Sometimes you just have to forget being an adult, and just be a kid.

My kids can't even watch the dialog version. It's not just me.

Uroplatus

Quote from: SBell on March 12, 2015, 05:42:51 PM

Hehe, i must say i personally have to agree with SBell on this, i just don't feel much for talking dinosaurs.
But i have watched both versions and can see the dialog version can be apealing to some.
I mostly like the artwork of the movie though. :)

Fofer

Congratulations ARUL!!! you have the tylo!

Arul

laticauda

Quote from: Uroplatus on March 12, 2015, 05:55:39 PM

Hehe, i must say i personally have to agree with SBell on this, i just don't feel much for talking dinosaurs.
But i have watched both versions and can see the dialog version can be apealing to some.

I agree with that.  The artwork, cgi is very nice.  ;)

SBell

Quote from: laticauda on March 13, 2015, 01:45:54 AM
Quote from: Uroplatus on March 12, 2015, 05:55:39 PM

I agree with that.  The artwork, cgi is very nice.  ;)

No arguments with that of course. Just the dialogue/'story' line. The modeling and creatures were excellent.

triceratops83

I just got the Dinosaur Studios' Lambeosaurus in the mail. I almost don't want to paint it - it looks great as is.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 13, 2015, 02:42:09 AM
I just got the Dinosaur Studios' Lambeosaurus in the mail. I almost don't want to paint it - it looks great as is.

Maybe try a faux bronze? I'm going to try it myself at some point.

Alexxitator

Today I received a parcel with a sticker on it; Urzeitshop.de. When I was finished happily unpacking this my coffee was stone cold. But it was more than worth it!

My favorite piece of them all is one that has been around for years, but somehow it eluded me: 2004 Safari Anatotitan. It's dynamic pose is just superb!
Second comes the Papo Tupuxuara. It screams at ye! Very alive.
Third the other Papo for 2015; the Apatosaurus. The sculpting on this piece is, per usual with Papo, superb. But also per usual with them; the pose seems a bit impossible or at the least prone to cause a serious pain in the neck.
Fourth in; Carnegie 2011 Carnotaurus! Everything about her (I think it's a she for some reason) just yells: look at me being big and... well big. It gives me the feeling this Carno is more a scavenger or like it plunges it's nose in the ground hunting for critters there, than of a fearsome hunter.
And number five is the Collecta 2012 Mapusaurus. Take five of these and imagine them plotting a scheme for capturing some unsuspecting Argentinosaurus. It does not appear overly fast, but if a prey like that would indeed be on the menu I don't think you would have to be.

The least favorite of all would be the Safari 2015 Archaeopteryx. To me it looks like someone took a dead magpie and shoved wooden sticks in it to make it stand. Add to that the head sculpt, it's so static. Details are pretty good on the feathers, but the much bashed Papo version does way batter there. (But that one has a whole range of other deficiencies of it's own, I know)

All in all this makes a very pleasant addition to my collection.

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

laticauda

Arul

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: