You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Joy City Odontochelys and friends...and some mammals are there, too.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BlueKrono

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 03, 2017, 07:03:07 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on October 03, 2017, 05:57:23 PM
Those are very cool! Where did you get them from?

https://antediluvianminiatures.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/shop-lost-world-range/

Thank you! There's a lot of good stuff there. The names of the adventurers crack me up. And apparently that shelled one is a dicynodont? It turned into a turtle, but that only makes me want it more!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 04, 2017, 09:29:49 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 03, 2017, 07:03:07 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on October 03, 2017, 05:57:23 PM
Those are very cool! Where did you get them from?

https://antediluvianminiatures.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/shop-lost-world-range/

Thank you! There's a lot of good stuff there. The names of the adventurers crack me up. And apparently that shelled one is a dicynodont? It turned into a turtle, but that only makes me want it more!

Antediluvian's miniatures are inspired by very old UK paleo-art like this:

CityRaptor

And movies. And a comic in one case.

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 04, 2017, 09:29:49 PM

Of course! That's their Crystal Palace look!

German author Frank Patalong compared them Gamera.
Oh no

BlueKrono

That's them! I didn't know CP had those. Are the original dinosaurs from the 1800s still around? I know the Messemore & Damons disintegrated years ago.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Loon

Got two of Papo's more accurate figures. The Apatosaurus and the new Cryolophosaurus. The Cryolophosaurus is definitely over priced on several sites, due to the small size, still, a beautiful figure.

Libraraptor

I love their Apatosaurus, no matter what others think about the neck.

Loon

I quite like it, of course the nostrils are off, but it's still the best affordable Apatosaurus on the market. The neck is probably the most interesting part of the figure, it really reminds of this art:

Libraraptor

Quote from: Loon on October 06, 2017, 06:14:44 PM
I quite like it, of course the nostrils are off, but it's still the best affordable Apatosaurus on the market. The neck is probably the most interesting part of the figure, it really reminds of this art:
JarJar saurus :))

Jose S.M.

That's exactly what I thought.

Reptilia

Who's the paleoartist there? Possibly Mark Witton?

ZoPteryx

The Museum of the Rockies gift shop was fully stocked with Safaris from the past several years, and one from the future!  :o

I was only really looking for the Tylosaurus, but couldn't pass on the Diplo and Micro after seeing them in person.  And of course, the mastodon was a surprising must buy!

Loon

Quote from: Reptilia on October 06, 2017, 10:27:18 PM
Who's the paleoartist there? Possibly Mark Witton?
It's Emiliano Troco.

tyrantqueen

Speaking of Antedulivian Miniatures, I asked them to do a Brontosaurus next, based on Charles Knight's artwork. I specifically asked for one in the water, one on land. They said it was a cool idea and that they would consider it 8)

tanystropheus

We should have a kickstarter for Crystal Palace 1:40 scale replicas!

BlueKrono

I want those ichthyosaurs so bad!

CityRaptor

October 12th:

1953 Mike Jones is born.

1958 The movie "Monster on the Campus" opens.

2017 CityRaptor posts his recent acquisitions in this thread.

Got some old books for good prices, including the one the above info is taken from. Also the magazine version of the second Schleich Mini T.rex and two of CollectA's corpses. The Dinosaur Skull Toob is an interesting case. Despite still being sealed,  I actually got it in a second hand store here in Germany instead of online.
Oh no

Reptilia

Lovely Dimorphodons on that book cover.

Bokisaurus

Well, its been a pretty slow few month for me ^-^
I did get the exclusive Pliosaurus Doris from the Bristol Museum

As well as a knock off figure that I found in a dollar store ( we were on our way camping and stopped by a small town and noticed the figure so I went in and got the two) a few months ago. Its the Miragai figure, based on the Carnegie Safari figure.
Its pretty good figure, sligthly smaller than the original. I plan to paint it someday. There is also a bad copy of the brachiosaurus
[

BlueKrono

In this week's haul:

Bristol Museum's new Pliosaurus figure, tying into their current exhibit. Cost as much to ship across the pond as the figure itself and took about two months on top of that, but worth it. The colors are excellent, the sculpt less so. Definitely not a cast of the original as it states on the website. But I love the subtle blue of the flippers and the yellow fade.

It always strikes me as weird when the underside doesn't tell the year.

Anyone notice anything off about this?

Two large mold Marxes from the Dump. The quintessential Kronosaurus and the pot-bellied T-rex, which my collection has been entirely lacking ever since I sent my gold one over the ocean. The colors of these are darker than any of the other three dozen I own, a gorgeous deep mossy green. Since they are nearly identical in hue I suspect they must have been excavated together. An exciting find!

And from the same lot, non-Dump Marxes in common seafoam green and gray/black swirl, and an MPC for good measure.

I finally snagged a Jack In The Box Dolichorhynchops too. Got it in a lot of other marine reptiles, and still have never seen it for sale individually.

Compared to the morphologically very disparate CollectA version:

The Battat mini Amargasaurus

And compared to the standard size. Makes a great youngling!

The Ouranosaurolophus from Imaginext

The Play Visions prehistoric mammals set. It's been a good week.

Most excited about the Andrewsarchus of course. All the rest will be up for sale again soon. Here he is compared to the Safari toob version. I'd say paint job definitely goes to Play Visions, but Safari might be a little better in the sculpt department.

Compared to the larger Play Visions "Andrewsarchus". The big one reads simply "Hyena" on the underside, so this is actually the only true Andrewsarchus Play Visions ever made.

And for the more casual collector, here is the Play Visions Andy compared to other versions from Safari, Kaiyodo and Starlux.

A group of neon-colored Wheatos dinos

The original color Carnegie Brachiosaurus. This version was only made for the first year (1988) of Carnegie's line and featured a more muted color scheme than the later greens, being a simple brown and yellow. It is also made of a softer, more rubbery material. According to Joe DeMarco in his Dinosauriana publication: "These original issuance pieces are in high demand today as very few are known to exist. For collecting purists they are the apex of the hobby and the best Carnegie Safari ever produced." And if you have the Carnegie Brachio in any color you know that this is without a doubt a king among playthings.

While the colors may be basic the eye is striking.

Just in time for Halloween, it's the horrifying Schleich Barapasaurus!

Gruesome...

The old CollectA Lambeosaurus

The Bullyland Lambeosaurus. This is my favorite Lambeo toy ever made for the colors, the anatomy and the pose.

Headshot

And just to level, I acquired these books a few weeks ago, but failed to show them. I thought these might be of interest to a few folks on this forum, so here they are. The exemplary Dinosaur Playsets book by DTF member Jeffrey Pfeiffer, showing a comprehensive display of Marx, MPC and other classic dino playsets. This is a must own for any Marx aficionado and anyone interested in antique dinosaur toys. Full color and handsomely done.

Little Big World by another Jeffrey, Mr. Hammond this time. This is a very niche book that anyone who loves Marx toys (and not just dinosaurs) will devour. The author waxes philosophical on subjects from the motivations behind collecting to the transient nature of our mortality. Not for everyone, but well-written, by a true devotee of Marx toys.

A little more peripheral to our hobby, Collections of Nothing by William King is about the author's quest to collect things that have no value to anyone else, prompted by a realization that trying to compete with other collectors (in this case stamps) is ultimately futile for most. His sprawling mounds of what most people would consider junk is a glimpse into the mind of someone who almost certainly crosses the line into hoarding.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: