News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Takamas Traceings and Other Drawings.

Started by Takama, September 14, 2013, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok, I suck at drawing.  So I trace pictures on the computer with a pencil and paper.

This is my first attempt. A Invicta Troodon

tyrantqueen

I hate to say this but...what's the point of tracing? I have more respect for someone who draws something badly freehand, than someone who makes a perfect copy that has been traced.

It's just not very creative, sorry :-\

Takama

Sorry to hear that :(.   but it is what I do when im board.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

Honestly, I used to trace when I was first learning to draw..helped me get an idea for how something should look and a base to work with.

Now looking at your first piece here, if you hadn't told me you traced it I would never have thought so.  It looks very little like an Invicta Troodon and more like an original piece.  If your other art is like this I'm betting it's less of tracing and more of " inspired by " .  :)

clutch

I would freehand a lot when I could actually draw, but every now and then I would trace the outline of something that was difficult.  Your rendition looks very good.  I especially like all the scales.

Takama

Glad people like them.   I can Sometimes make a good Dinosaur freehand, but its rarely a success.   Scales are the only detail that I can relly do.

I have a Admitably Cartoonish Parasaurolophus in the works.

Takama

Got this one done.   It should be obvious were I got the inspiration from.

Takama

OK i try to draw every now and then, with out Tracing other works. This is a Genyodectes i made.   I covered it with scales, and tried to make it realistic by giving it a cloacal opening

Tallin

The scale texture looks great here, keep it up! I love the expression too, it has lots of life in it!
It actually reminds me a lot of the concept art for How to Train your Dragon by Nico Marlet - he's one of the leading artists at DreamWorks.
:)
I look forward to seeing more of your work and recommend using models and artwork as reference so you can know the contours of the muscles and bone structure as you draw!

Takama

I will see what i can do, but im not good at contour drawing.

I do try to get the general shape. This Genyodectes Was a relative of Ceratosaurus, and i constantly draw, and erase lines, until i get a shape im happy with. I usually try to make one arm and leg, because im not good at perspective. what you see is in my eyes a work of luck. I do have another Drawing that's made the same way. I will upload it later

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: Takama on February 26, 2015, 10:38:07 PM
OK i try to draw every now and then, with out Tracing other works. This is a Genyodectes i made.   I covered it with scales, and tried to make it realistic by giving it a cloacal opening

I am not going to sugar-coat it. This isn't the best it could be. Now don't take this the way it sounds. In order to get better at something you need real critique in order to add on to your own knowledge. I would suggest, if you want to get better at drawing, to look at the musculature of modern animals as well as the musculature of birds and on the models of dinosaurs that have been made. Looking at the bones would help too. Now, I don't generally use the skeletal first then draw on top of it. For example, you draw a simple "stick figure" armature/skeleton of the animal you wish to draw based on the actual formation of the bones of the animal and then you add the muscle and flesh to the armature drawing. Now for perspective, I cannot help you here. Even i have problems with perspective and often draw my animals facing one direction in a profile shot. I have tried to do forward facing and other odd positions and some are good, most are not. But your detail regarding the scales and scutes and such is superb! When I started drawing, I didn't even add scales and the animal would be rather smooth. But you know whatever! If you do not want to take my word for it, than I am sure that you could easily look at a how to draw tutorial to fix some of the problems you are facing! I hoped this helped you to improve!

P.S. The only part you seem to need to work one would be the arms and legs, the body is pretty accurate/good!
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Takama

Thanks for your critique Insecticon.

Here is another one i recently finished. I been working on it for a while.

I wrote Dracovenator, However, i think it works better as a Generic Ceolophysoid

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: Takama on March 02, 2015, 10:24:45 PM
Thanks for your critique Insecticon.

Here is another one i recently finished. I been working on it for a while.

I wrote Dracovenator, However, i think it works better as a Generic Ceolophysoid

Much better! The legs are a good improvement! I like it! Still need to work a little more on the arms and then it would look pertty darn cool!
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Takama

My latest

Alioramus

Im sure there are  Inaccuracys, but I am proud of this one.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Takama on March 12, 2015, 09:45:15 PM
My latest

Alioramus

Im sure there are  Inaccuracys, but I am proud of this one.

Wow you sure take time doing all those scales. The way they are arranged in a circular pattern on the thighs gives them a slight illusion of depth.  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Pachyrhinosaurus

I see improvement from your last piece. If you want advice, maybe you could work on making the edges less round, but more like a real object.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Concavenator

These are not bad! Just keep practising.I would give youand advice:use Scott Hartman's skeletals as a base to your drawings,that'll help a lot with accuracy.Another one,is that I'd have personally feather up the Alioramus.Feather as much dinosaurs as you can.

Takama

I was thinking about feathering the Alioramus, but i have little to no practice with feathers, I tried to make a Struthiomimus with them and it looked terrible to me, so i scrapped it. Im still am having issues on perspective, so you would only one arm and leg on my future models for now.

Im working on a What im calling a Tenotosaurus right now, and i did it free form, and i did not consult any skeletals though :-[, i just tried to draw a ornithopod, and i got a shape that i was happy with.   Im still drawing the scales   

Concavenator

Ok.Good luck with it.Another advice is,don't spend too much time drawing scales.It'll most likely be a small drawings,and depict scales would be hard( or impossible)to see the scales.Good luck with it. :)

spinosaurus1

very nice work. a little advice though. the textures are very interesting and i like the way you implement curves, but  in areas such as the legs and arms seem to take it to the extreme.
i also notice that you drawn the hallux toe while the theropod is in a completely prolific position. you have it on the wrong side. they are located on the opposite side of the foot, facing each other. you wouldn't be able to see it in the positions your dinosaurs are in.

just my 2 cents

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: