News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ChrisLikesDinos on December 20, 2013, 05:18:49 PM
Archaeopteryx!? Yes please. Looks fantastic, but perhaps a bit like a a feathered Deinonychus. Assuming they were influenced by a popular piece of art does anyone know which one?

Dilophosaurus!? Yesssss. It's clearly using the Allosaurus as a base, but its not bad at all. I only with they were more adventurous with the color scheme. Can we eventually get a young Dilophosaurus with JP influenced features?

Baby Triceratops!? Awesome and cute. 100% JP inspired also. =)

vs

The Archeopteryx does looks nicely detailed as expected of Papo  but it also has something of a generic dromeosaur feel about it.  I'll have to look up some Archeopteryx art to compare it to.

morrijos

I would love to see a rear-view angle on the Archaeopteryx.  But overall, VERY impressed. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on December 20, 2013, 04:44:33 PM
Aw, that Archaeopteryx is disappointing...
The baby Trike, on the other hand, I like, mostly because it reminds me of McCreery's and would make a nice addition to my JP collection. I was hoping for a JP Dilophosaurus for the same reason - I don't trust Papo to make much beyond JP replicas.
Why?

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 20, 2013, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: Patrx on December 20, 2013, 04:44:33 PM
Aw, that Archaeopteryx is disappointing...
The baby Trike, on the other hand, I like, mostly because it reminds me of McCreery's and would make a nice addition to my JP collection. I was hoping for a JP Dilophosaurus for the same reason - I don't trust Papo to make much beyond JP replicas.
Why?

The face.  It's all scaly and lizard-like. That said, it's neat to see Papo finally doing a feathered Mesozoic dinosaur, and they did get the wings right.

Takama

Wow. They finally made my Favorite Dinosaur.

And im surprised that they made a feathered dinosaur, and it looks excellent.

Though why did they chose to make a baby Trike? it seems Lazy,

DinoToyForum

I really like the baby Triceratops, it's my favourite of the three.

suspsy

Well, so much for the mighty Giganotosaurus, eh?

That Archaeopteryx isn't perfect, but it's definitely a step in the right direction for Papo. The Dilophosaurus looks nice and the baby Triceratops is chubby but cute. I wouldn't be surprised if 2015 gives us a baby Stegosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 20, 2013, 06:18:43 PM
I really like the baby Triceratops, it's my favourite of the three.

Same here. A cute little piece of art :).

amanda

Cute and chubby in the way of retro and cutsey figures, but totally detailed and a perfect companion to the adult trike. Well, we had naked baby Tyrannosaurs, so why not this. I have all 3 of this year's on my to get list. (A rather long list. I have not bought anything except the WS Diabloceratops lately. Come summer I shall have much more leeway and so have this list, see...).

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Finally! Perhaps Papo is finally stepping away from JP...
I'll definitely get Dilo and Archaeopteryx-not the baby Trike, though.
Congrats, Papo! (Although I was really hoping for more and different models)
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I will say this:
1: Papo's releases last year seem at first glance better than this year.
2: The Dilophosaurus is in desperate need of some color instead of that awful grey.
3: It's still the best Dilophosaurus on the market in accuracy.
4: The Archaeopteryx is definitely the best on the market.
5: I am probably looking forward more to CollectA's 2014 models than Papo's now.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 20, 2013, 07:02:43 PM
I will say this:
2: The Dilophosaurus is in desperate need of some color instead of that awful grey.
5: I am probably looking forward more to CollectA's 2014 models than Papo's now.
I agree mostly with everything you said. I don't think I'll be getting the Trike, but if I do, I would probably mod the feet. The Dilophosaurus is pretty good in terms of accuracy (they didn't copy the JP head, which is great) and since they copied Sideshow's Dilo, it worked out quite well :)

Balaur

Wow! All three look fantastic! The pose on the Dilophosaurus is reminiscent of the Allosaurus, the baby trike is cute, and the Archaeopteryx is a very pleasent surprise! I'll be getting all, three!

KeU

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 20, 2013, 07:02:43 PM
I will say this:

I am actually pleased that it is grey. I don't have much dinosaur figures that are grey. And it makes the head crests stand out with their orange color.

Hermes888

While the Archaeopteryx's head is clearly scaly (unfortunately), I'm having trouble telling whether or not the neck is scaly too. Any thoughts?

It seems like the bottom of the neck is bald, but I can't be sure.

I'll still get it, even if it isn't too accurate. Papo has always been about detail, and whenever they add accuracy it's an added bonus. I'm just glad to see some feathered representation, especially from a company that's so focused on popular depictions.

amanda

The head is scaly, yes, but there is some feathering/crest-like thing going on. Maybe that continues down the back of the neck? The shift from scaly to feathered seems abrupt. Like a Velociraptor from JP is running around in a chicken suit selling nuggets. (Taste like chicken!!)

Roselaar

Looking good! The Baby Trike is cute, the Dilophosaurus is badass and not as inaccurate as feared. The Archaeopteryx for me is the dubious one of the bunch, but that's mostly because of the small picture and the front angle which doesn't show that much of it.

darylj

I will get all three. I think il repaint the archeo, and the diloph, may adjust the diloph tail, see what its like on the night. Great work from papo tho

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Dilophasaurus is clearly inspired by Sideshow's new release..it's not JP but pretty cool regardless. The only hint of the Allo I see is in the position of the feet.. not a big deal.

I am curious if the tail really is that thin for balancing issues or it's angled. It does appear to only have 3 fingers, but that's a choice..the real animal could have had it either way i think.

Really it's a nicely done piece ..might even fit along side Sideshow's as a juvenile animal.

amanda

I think that in the pic, where it is thin, you are in fact seeing the bottom of the tail because of it's curve. I suspect it is taller than that....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: