News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

The scaly head of the Archaeopteryx is similar to the classical illustrations of the Archaeopteryx, or at least the images that I've grown up with.

alexeratops

Is it just me, or does the left foot of the Arch have only 2 front toes?(minus the back toe)
like a bantha!

tanystropheus

Quote from: alexeratops on December 20, 2013, 11:35:44 PM

Is it just me, or does the left foot of the Arch have only 2 front toes?(minus the back toe)

I think it is the angle.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: ChrisLikesDinos on December 20, 2013, 05:18:49 PM
Archaeopteryx!? Yes please. Looks fantastic, but perhaps a bit like a a feathered Deinonychus. Assuming they were influenced by a popular piece of art does anyone know which one?

Dilophosaurus!? Yesssss. It's clearly using the Allosaurus as a base, but its not bad at all. I only with they were more adventurous with the color scheme. Can we eventually get a young Dilophosaurus with JP influenced features?

Baby Triceratops!? Awesome and cute. 100% JP inspired also. =)
vs
I really hope not. I'm tired of JP figures by Papo, their more accurate figures are so much cooler. Not to mention I hate the JP Dilophosaurus >:D.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tanystropheus

Archaeopteryx

I'm mighty impressed with this particular model. This model proves that Papo can make feathered dinosaurs and that we have no worries for a future Gallimimus or Therizinosaurus. Not only is the model feathered, it is feathered well, in a manner that is above the efforts of their competitors. Papo could monopolize the feathered dinosaur market if they wanted to...the model also proves that Papo can create relatively obscure (obscure with respect to the toy market, that is) dinosaur representations.  The Archaeopteryx is an iconic dinosaur and perhaps, we can expect other iconic dinosaurs, as well (e.g. Megalosaurus, Iguanodon). The head appears scaly, adhering to the classical portrayal of the Archaeopteryx, while the detailing (and coloration) of the body suggests a more progressive design. Well done, Papo.

Dilophosaurus

An exceptional model by Papo. Superficially, the model seems to resemble Papo's earlier efforts (e.g. Allosaurus, Oviraptor), but upon closer inspection, we realize that the body habitus is altogether different---while the Papo Dilo is not as lean as popular representations of Dilophosaurus, the model also lacks the 'steroid'-laden musculature of the Allosaurus. This model is very obviously inspired by the Sideshow statue, and even sports the dewlap, and overall head shape. In recent years, Papo has been looking to Sideshow for inspiration (e.g Styracosaurus, Carnotaurus) and has been steadily moving away from the JP formula.

Baby Trike

The Papo baby T-rex proved to be popular with dinosaur collectors, mostly due to the saccharine levels of cutesy displayed. Papo proves that they can maintain the kawaii factor of the baby dinosaur line. It almost seems as if they have members of Disney working for them. The feet deformation may be attributed to morphological changes that may accompany a growing dinosaur.

It appears that Papo is almost done with the 'common dinosaurs', with the Dilo being released in 2014. The only "common" dinosaurs that seem to be left: Quetzalcoatlus, Protoceratops, Apatosaurus, Diplodocus, and arguably, Kentrosaurus. However, there is always a possibility for revisiting some of the more popular models in their portfolio, including Spinosaurus, Velociraptor, or perhaps another baby variant (Stegosaurus?).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 21, 2013, 12:03:16 AM

I think it is the angle.
Isn't Archeopteryx supposed to have a sickle claw? I've seen some reconstructions with it, and some without. Can someone elaborate on this, please? :)

QuoteI really hope not. I'm tired of JP figures by Papo, their more accurate figures are so much cooler. Not to mention I hate the JP Dilophosaurus
I don't like the JP Dilophosaurus either. SO glad Papo didn't copy it.

QuoteThe feet deformation may be attributed to morphological changes that may accompany a growing dinosaur.
Are you being sarcastic? :o

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Archeopteryx does look well done..though I kinda think the coloration of the body should have continued up it's neck to the head.   I'm really curious to see a side shot so we can see the nice tail it should have.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 21, 2013, 12:39:08 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 21, 2013, 12:03:16 AM

QuoteThe feet deformation may be attributed to morphological changes that may accompany a growing dinosaur.
Are you being sarcastic? :o

Haha, possibly... but most animal babies do look like cartoon caricatures of their adult counterparts.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well some do at the least..heh  ^-^

amanda

TQ, remember Archy (I hate typing the full name so nickname 'tis) was originally thought to be a first bird, and a crossing of the dinosaur/bird threshold until fairly recently, at least as far as popular literature portrays it. The appearance of the sickle claw would have been a dead give away once the raptors started being discovered I would think. The remains have been very well studied so I would think that a claw like that would not be overlooked. There are a ton of good photos of the specimen, I suppose it would be easy enough to look.

As far as the baby trike, it is designed to match the adult, which has incorrect elephant feet. Their Pachyrhino and Styraco moved away from that so I figure they are aware and made a conscious decision to mold them this way. Just as the baby Tyrannosaurs are naked little versions of their larger figures. I am guessing...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amanda on December 21, 2013, 01:00:09 AM
TQ, remember Archy (I hate typing the full name so nickname 'tis) was originally thought to be a first bird, and a crossing of the dinosaur/bird threshold until fairly recently, at least as far as popular literature portrays it. The appearance of the sickle claw would have been a dead give away once the raptors started being discovered I would think. The remains have been very well studied so I would think that a claw like that would not be overlooked. There are a ton of good photos of the specimen, I suppose it would be easy enough to look.
Well, I first got the idea from this skeletal from Scott Hartman:

I am confuzzled :-[

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2013, 12:40:54 AM
The Archeopteryx does look well done..though I kinda think the coloration of the body should have continued up it's neck to the head.   I'm really curious to see a side shot so we can see the nice tail it should have.

It has just occurred to me--science has actually answered the question of at least the wings and body colour of Arcaheopteryx. It should be black and white, maybe sort of like a magpie.

Seijun

My only problem with archa is the head (as others have mentioned). It looks like "generic raptor head".
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Megalosaurus

Hi.
In general, I believe Papo 2013 releases are way better than 2014 ones.

1) I like the Dilophosaurus, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that it looks very SIMILAR to their Allosaurus. Still i'll get it.
2) Baby Triceratops is a surprise from Papo. It looks good as a meal for my predators, so may be i'll get it, but its in the end of my 2014 list.
3) I dislike their Monsterteryx. Just look at the fossil, It is much more like a modern bird, much more gracile, much less reptilian. This is not the Archaeopteryx I was specting. Just posting a more 'birdie' Archaepteryx depictions.

I will not buy the Papo Mosterteryx. And yes, i've readed all the discussion, and somehow agree that if they change the head the figure will be much better. But lets be reallystic, they are not going to do any big changes to their annunced figures.

Now I'm specting Mojo 2014 anuncements.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

tanystropheus

I thought the Archaeopteryx had a 'raptor' head:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OhvNbS-6NT8/UI7sC4Bo9vI/AAAAAAAACWg/CyHaCVX_1vw/s1600/DBS_Archaeopteryx+02.jpg

http://www.solnhofen-fossilienatlas.de/fossilien/440reko_kopf.jpg

I think the problem with the model is that the head size is a bit large, as well as how it transitions (no pun intended) from feather to scales--if we could get a more detailed look of the back and side of the head....

Many of us were expecting an Archaeopteryx from Carnegie...It is interesting that Papo was able to deliver an Archaeopteryx by 2014.

amanda

Looking at the skeletal drawings it definite looks raptor. Odd.

Megalosaurus, the last pic looks very similar to Archy. Even the scaly head with the rough on the back of the head/neck. Only difference is neck coloration. It is a bad picture pose. We cannot truly judge it until we see a 3/4 view of it, to better get a sense of proportion and style. Calling it a monster based on the released pic seems premature to me. As for coloration issues, quite a few talented folks around here are sure to take care of that in short order.

Invicta Hunter

It would have been nice to have one large figure this year. I'll still buy them but i think Papo should have had a better 2014 line up than this.

Gwangi

I believe the current consensus is that Archeopteryx did indeed have a sickle claw.

As far as reconstructions go I always liked John Long's from the book "Feathered Dinosaurs".

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 21, 2013, 01:58:36 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OhvNbS-6NT8/UI7sC4Bo9vI/AAAAAAAACWg/CyHaCVX_1vw/s1600/DBS_Archaeopteryx+02.jpg

I think the problem with the model is that the head size is a bit large, as well as how it transitions (no pun intended) from feather to scales--if we could get a more detailed look of the back and side of the head....

Many of us were expecting an Archaeopteryx from Carnegie...It is interesting that Papo was able to deliver an Archaeopteryx by 2014.

Could be Carnegie / Safari found out and held theirs off ?

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2013, 03:04:14 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 21, 2013, 01:58:36 AM

Could be Carnegie / Safari found out and held theirs off ?

Maybe its vice versa, and Papo wanted to compete, but Safari for some reason stepped down.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: