You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Top Ten Weirdest Prehistoric Creatures

Started by Takama, February 03, 2014, 03:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 06, 2014, 11:09:31 PM
Yes, it is quite a subjective process. Nobody has yet mentioned an elasmosaurid such as Albertonectes. I suppose we are 'used' to their unusual appearance, as with the sauropods. ;)

Yup, more extinct creatures we take for granted. Take Mosasaurs as another example; gigantic marine lizards. Way cool.

brandem

NoTullimonstrum? I mean it defies classification, that's pretty weird right?

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: brandem on February 07, 2014, 12:13:41 AM
NoTullimonstrum? I mean it defies classification, that's pretty weird right?
Indeed- good point...
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

amargasaurus cazaui

A fanged porcupine resembling bi pedal dinosaur !!! pegomastax Africana
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

tanystropheus gets my vote.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Roselaar on February 06, 2014, 08:32:58 PM
Oh my, how could I have forgotten Estemmenosuchus! Really a true weirdo!

I hope WS releases one.

tyrantqueen

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 07, 2014, 06:35:30 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 07, 2014, 04:08:43 AM
tanystropheus gets my vote.
Hey, you can't vote for yourself >:D :))

You're just jelly nobody considers Tyrannosaurs weird enough. :)

Dsungaripterus is pretty weird too:

Platyhystrix kinda suffers from Longisquama syndrome:

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 07, 2014, 03:26:59 AM
A fanged porcupine resembling bi pedal dinosaur !!! pegomastax Africana

Did they actually find any quills for this guy? I seem to recall they did not but I'm sure it had something along those lines anyway.

amargasaurus cazaui

No there was never any recovery of quills for the animal. The quills are an assumed trait mostly thanks to Tianyulong. You would be correct in stating the quills were not preserved for this specimen however almost everything recovered for the dinosaur to this point was the one find consisting of skull elements.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Brontozaurus

You could fill this list up purely with Cambrian creatures, so I'm not going to list any of them.

Tribrachidium: It's an Ediacaran animal that evolved threefold body symmetry, which has never appeared again in the history of complex life.
Abelisaurs: There was a cracked article that described Carnotaurus as a T. rex that wandered off halfway through the dinosaur assembly process and that's pretty accurate.
Cotylorhynchus: Look at that tiny head. Seriously. It looks like one of the goombas from the Super Mario Bros movie.
Quetzalcoatlus: What do you mean this thing can fly?
Tullimonstrum: Seriously what the hell is this thing.
Platybelodon: Weirdass elephant with a scoop mouth.
Marsupial lions: Not only are they literally drop bears, they evolved from herbivores and had to do evolutionary gymnastics to adapt incisors and molars into flesh-cutting tools.
Excalibosaurus: Icthyosaurs, if you think about them, are weird fish reptile things. This one has a sword stapled to its head. See also: Eurhinodelphis, a dolphin with the same thing.
Balbaroo: Oh look it's a tiny kangaroo how cute OH CHRIST IT HAS FANGS
Stethacanthus: Helicoprion has a buzzsaw mouth and everyone loves him. Stethacanthus has an ironing board stuck to it and no-one cares.

"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

alexeratops

nevermind...
like a bantha!

Paleogene Pals

Don't forget conodonts. The little bug-eyed eel-like things with weird teeth that they are!

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Brontozaurus on February 09, 2014, 09:05:25 AM
You could fill this list up purely with Cambrian creatures, so I'm not going to list any of them.

Tribrachidium: It's an Ediacaran animal that evolved threefold body symmetry, which has never appeared again in the history of complex life.
Abelisaurs: There was a cracked article that described Carnotaurus as a T. rex that wandered off halfway through the dinosaur assembly process and that's pretty accurate.
Cotylorhynchus: Look at that tiny head. Seriously. It looks like one of the goombas from the Super Mario Bros movie.
Quetzalcoatlus: What do you mean this thing can fly?
Tullimonstrum: Seriously what the hell is this thing.
Platybelodon: Weirdass elephant with a scoop mouth.
Marsupial lions: Not only are they literally drop bears, they evolved from herbivores and had to do evolutionary gymnastics to adapt incisors and molars into flesh-cutting tools.
Excalibosaurus: Icthyosaurs, if you think about them, are weird fish reptile things. This one has a sword stapled to its head. See also: Eurhinodelphis, a dolphin with the same thing.
Balbaroo: Oh look it's a tiny kangaroo how cute OH CHRIST IT HAS FANGS
Stethacanthus: Helicoprion has a buzzsaw mouth and everyone loves him. Stethacanthus has an ironing board stuck to it and no-one cares.
Haha-lol. I love your commentary on each species- especially the Balbaroo. ;D
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

QuoteYou're just jelly nobody considers Tyrannosaurs weird enough.
Nope. Why I would I be jealous over such a trivial thing?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 09, 2014, 11:22:06 PM
QuoteYou're just jelly nobody considers Tyrannosaurs weird enough.
Nope. Why I would I be jealous over such a trivial thing?

Jelly? Autocorrect strikes again!  :))

Takama

My second Top ten weirdo's (Some were from other members, others are ones I came up)

Miragaria:Someone said that dinosaurs are generally weird, but there so popular that we take them for granted. Stegosaurs are perhaps among the weirdest creatures, but the one that takes the cake would be the long necked species Miragaria Longicolum

Nyctosaurus: I completely forgot about this one when I started the first list, and seeing its crest is a slap to my face.

Hallucinogenia: Ok WTF is this? Really, I have no clue. :P

Ambulocetus: Like a mammalian crocodile

Basilosaurus: Like a Mammalian Mosasaur.

Tullimonstrum: Never heard of this one. Though I see why someone wished it was on the old list.

Stethacanthus: This one Almost made it on the first list, But I thought Mr. Chainsaw was weirder in the end

Estemmenosuchus: I was going to go with either Scutosaurus or Moschops, but then I remembered the head gear on this thing.

Robertia:  Oh How Cute, its like a Naked Mole rat with Fangs.

Tyrannosaurus Rex  >:D: If it was feathered, imagine the possibility's

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quite honestly, T.rex probably isn't nearly as weird as basically any of the others on the list...
-Peter Benchley

Concavenator

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 10, 2014, 12:38:47 AM
Quite honestly, T.rex probably isn't nearly as weird as basically any of the others on the list...
Spinosaurids and abelisaurids are far more unique,IMO

Newt

Strictly on the basis of "things built like that shouldn't be that big":

Arthropleura

Also, where's the love for crazy agnathan fishes?  No paired fins, no bony postcranial skeleton, one nostril, armored head; pretty much lamprey X hillstream loach X tadpole shrimp:

Cephalaspis

Boreaspis

Birkenia

Furcacauda and Sphenonectris, which both look like someone was trying to design a sailfin molly from a very bad photo.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: