News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction

Started by alexeratops, May 19, 2014, 03:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

The whole thing with Aliens wiping out the Dinosaurs in this movie is however a case of this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PhlebotinumKilledTheDinosaurs

You want to show how dangerous and powerful something or someone is? Make it resposible for the Extinction of the Non-avian Dinosaurs, since that is the extinction event most people are familiar with.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

not to mention it seems to be relatively unrelated to the plot (or the Dinobots themselves)
I think that whole thing was just thrown in to further tease us with more Dinobot hype

Blade-of-the-Moon

They never explained the dinobots origins either..that bugged me and ( spoiler!!) 

.....what's with just turning them loose at the end ? I get they won their " freedom" but being so animalistic aren't they going to just wander around and cause trouble?  In the series they were placed on Dinobot island or something right? and they were called in from time to time to fight. Seems like they have no loyalties to Prime or any of the other Autobots in general in this.  Also makes me wonder if they will be brought back in the next film?

stargatedalek

I'd be willing to bet Galvatron will try and recruit them

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 05, 2014, 07:27:33 PM
I'd be willing to bet Galvatron will try and recruit them

he did attempt it in G1.

stargatedalek

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 05, 2014, 07:19:29 PM
They never explained the dinobots origins either

Warning some majour spoilers ahead

From what I gatherd, the dinobots were transformers that were on earth during the time of you know what. They were discoverd in the artic but then they were taken abourd the decepticon ship in a scene that's not shown in the movie. The ships captain(I forgot his name) said he was looking for the warriors and all he needed was optimus. Later on the ship is hijacked and shot down in china were Optimus sets them free.  He refers to them as the warriors as well

stargatedalek

that makes sense, unfortunately if that scene existed it was cut
maybe they decided to leave it open for future films to add more back story
never mind, this is a Michael Bay series, they wouldn't be thinking that far ahead ;)

Takama

Overall, I thought it was a good movie.  I was surprised that they bothered to put quills on the Psittacosaurus at the beginning, I mean Michael Bay said he did not care for the Dino Bots so what makes you think he would care for a Real one in the flesh?

stargatedalek

that surprised me too
but I guess psittacosaurus and its quills did cause a bit of a media stir

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 09, 2014, 01:11:18 AM
that surprised me too
but I guess psittacosaurus and its quills did cause a bit of a media stir

Really Do you have any links to something regarding this? Im curios

stargatedalek

not really, but I recall seeing it everywhere I looked when it first hit the tabloids
maybe I was just looking in all the right places

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on July 09, 2014, 12:51:25 AM
Overall, I thought it was a good movie.  I was surprised that they bothered to put quills on the Psittacosaurus at the beginning, I mean Michael Bay said he did not care for the Dino Bots so what makes you think he would care for a Real one in the flesh?
Not necessarily: I don't particularly care for the Dinobots either (and I consider myself a G1 fan) I'm not saying I hate them, but I don't find them all that interesting compared to the main cast. But obviously I like real dinosaurs.

amargasaurus cazaui

Not so sure Bay did much for accuracy regarding Psittacosaurus.....he has the dinosaur alive and well at the extinction event, at the end of the Cretaceous, although it seems likely psittacosaurus was gone around 90 million years ago. Add to which he has the little guy as a predator, eating fish.
He is pictured with a brachiosaurid, and a Spinosaurus no less. ......huh?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

I don't deny the plausibility some species of psittacosaurus may have been omnivorous, but thats a discussion for somewhere else
the only other in the flesh dinosaurs I noticed were some rather generic seeming sauropods and ornithopods

amargasaurus cazaui

I think it possible psittacosaurus might have eaten fruits, nuts, plants and even bugs, but with the teeth it has I doubt seriously it ate anything like fish or actual meat unless it had no choice. Just does not seem likely.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

agreed, highly unlikely
where was the spinosaurus? I somehow missed it

Alexxitator

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 09, 2014, 03:45:06 PM
agreed, highly unlikely
where was the spinosaurus? I somehow missed it

That may be because he had some sort of double sail/spikerows on his back making him aesthetically pleasing but nowhere near resembling the actual beast.

The movie itself... I will not go as far as calling it a bad 3 hours of my life spent. But calling it a good movie would be too much praise.
It's a fine movie I think.
Let's nitpick:
Effects: flawless 5/5
Sound: flawless 5/5
Story; there is some story but not too much 2/5
Dialogues; they try. Actually good actors doing some pretty poor lines 3/5
One-liners; Never have I seen a movie with that many bad one-liners. 1/5
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

stargatedalek

Oh, you meant the dinobot spinosaurus
dinobots have never been accurate really....

Alexxitator

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 09, 2014, 06:29:56 PM
Oh, you meant the dinobot spinosaurus
dinobots have never been accurate really....
Ow was there supposed to have been a real life Spino? Didn't know that.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: