News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

POLL: Best Movie Dragons?

Started by Yutyrannus, June 04, 2014, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the best movie dragons?

Smaug from The Hobbit trilogy
The dragon from Maleficent
Draco from Dragonheart
Saphira from Eragon
The dragon from Beowulf
The Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter
The Ukrainian Ironbelly from Harry Potter
Dragons from Reign of Fire
Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer
Dragons from Game of Thrones
Kilgharrah from Merlin
Taro from Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Jabberwocky from Alice in Wonderland
Fell Beasts from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

fabricious

I really liked the book as well, but I was quite disappointed by how they made her look in the movie.

SpittersForEver

Quote from: fabricious on June 05, 2014, 08:48:29 PM
I really liked the book as well, but I was quite disappointed by how they made her look in the movie.

Same, movies are never as good as the books (in my opinion of course).

Yutyrannus

Why am I the only one who voted for the dragon from Maleficent (the one Maleficent turned Diaval into at the end)? That's one awesome dragon!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

CityRaptor

Maybe you are the only one who has seen that movie.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Yutyrannus

Well, now that I posted a picture of it hopefully the votes will go up.

Gwangi

Yeah, the movie has only been out for a week. I probably won't even watch Maleficent till the DVD comes out. You're not spoiling anything are you?

Patrx

How disappointing; the fire isn't green!

Yutyrannus

Well, I highly recommend seeing it. It's a great movie  :)!

Simon

Taro has 4 votes, lets get him some more!!!

Oh, and he's also killed in the coolest fashion of any movie dragon:

Simon

Why just look at that last shot of Taro on the beach!

Now THAT'S ACTING!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 05, 2014, 08:14:55 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on June 05, 2014, 08:11:47 PM
Good to see some more choices up there. Had to vote for Smaug of course but I also voted for the Sinbad dragon and the "Game of Thrones" dragons. I see that I'm the only vote for them so far. Is that because it is a TV show or because most of our members don't watch it?

Regardless, they're awesome.

EDIT: Difficult not the vote for the Beowulf dragon, I quite liked his design and the movie itself.
I don't know why that is, I don't like the show but nonetheless the dragons are some of the best I've seen.

Love the show but the dragons haven't played a huge part and thus far are pretty typical Wyverns.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 05, 2014, 09:41:42 PM
Why am I the only one who voted for the dragon from Maleficent (the one Maleficent turned Diaval into at the end)? That's one awesome dragon!

Looks like a neat design but I haven't it yet..might not til it's released at a local redbox or netflix.  It's probably in there about as much as the dragon from Enchanted right ?  You recall Narissa I guess :

Yutyrannus

I forgot about that one, so thanks for posting the picture! Anyway, you should see it as it is a great movie and the dragon is awesome (not in there for very long though).

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 06, 2014, 02:22:58 AM
Love the show but the dragons haven't played a huge part and thus far are pretty typical Wyverns.

The GoT dragons are pretty standard I guess but they sure do look good! I've read the books as well so that no doubt helps with my fondness for them. As for wyverns vs. dragons, I prefer wyverns since they're more biologically plausible. I have a hard time with tetrapods that have 6 limbs, even if it is fantasy.

amargasaurus cazaui

<<pencils in at top of page...refused to vote !!! No Ikran? No Toruk? how?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Simon

Well, they forgot 'em!  Just like they originally forgot Taro!

You know I didn't think of those critters either.  "Avatar" was an outer space movie and those creatures were more like extra-terrestrial Pterosaurs.

Pretty, yes.  But not fire-breathing dragons.  I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere .... now ...

PLEASE GO VOTE FOR HARRYHAUSEN'S TARO.   ;) ;) ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 06, 2014, 08:34:37 AM

Those really aren't dragons though now are they? Dragon-like perhaps but calling them dragons would be a stretch.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on June 06, 2014, 12:29:43 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 06, 2014, 08:34:37 AM

Those really aren't dragons though now are they? Dragon-like perhaps but calling them dragons would be a stretch.
Wait....so what exactly is the criteria for being a dragon? You have to breathe  fire? You can come from inner-earth and be a dragon but if you are extra-terrestrial you cannot? What is being given as the line between fantasy creatures and dragons here? We were shown some poodle looking thing and it was allowed to be a dragon, so I wonder how it can breathe fire with fur? so if it breathes fire and looks like a dragonish thing it is legit? That means that Godzilla and perhaps King Ghidrah is missing here too. So we are dismissing the Ikran for being from outer space or not breathing fire? ( I guess being from an inner space is perfectly fine for dragons though) In watching the movie Avatar, to me the Ikran depicted what a dragon would look like if it were real. Not some Puff the magic dragon type character!!! gosh this is complex
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

I'm honestly not up to speed with the folklore and mythology concerning dragons or what defines a dragon. The critters from "Avatar" just strike me as native wildlife with a resemblance to dragons, much like pterosaurs or dinosaurs. Dragon-like while not being a dragon. Falkor from "The Neverending Story" is a dragon because the movie explicitly says he is. Though he is not particularly dragon-like he does have a resemblance to the dragons of Asian mythology who often have the serpentine body, ability to fly without wings and mammalian characteristics. Godzilla is not a dragon either because again, they explain what he is.

EDIT: Technically a lot of the dragons in this poll are what are called wyverns. In European mythology a dragon has four legs and two wings, the wyverns have two legs and a pair of wings. Smaug from "The Hobbit" movie is actually a wyvern while Smaug from "The Hobbit" book is a dragon. Most dragons in movies and games today appear to be wyverns, probably because it makes more sense biologically.

amargasaurus cazaui

Lol while not trying to turn this into a hair splitting contest, I did wonder....wouldn't a dragon be then considered a native animal in its natural environment? As for dinosaurs, I am on the understanding it was dinosaurs that were the entire basis for legends of dragons in folklore from China, hence the term "dragons bones". In fact the chinese refer to dinosaurs as various types of dragons.
  I guess one mans dragon is another mans pterosaur, but for me the Ikran portrayed what a realistic dragon might be like. An animal that was reptilian but could actually fly,and did resemble a dragon. While not serpentine, I had never considered a snakelike body an essential for dragondom.
    I always think about the various companies that make the sets of dragons..frost dragons, water dragons, cloud dragons, sky dragons and even fire dragons. I have seen metal dragons, wood dragons and even diamond dragons. I just dont find it that far from the path to suggest the Ikran were dragons, at least in my understanding of it all.I admit they are not the Puff the magic dragon storybook type, but for me they were a valid kind of dragon.
BY your last edit would that suggest the Ikran were wyvern?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: