News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

POLL: Best Movie Dragons?

Started by Yutyrannus, June 04, 2014, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the best movie dragons?

Smaug from The Hobbit trilogy
The dragon from Maleficent
Draco from Dragonheart
Saphira from Eragon
The dragon from Beowulf
The Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter
The Ukrainian Ironbelly from Harry Potter
Dragons from Reign of Fire
Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer
Dragons from Game of Thrones
Kilgharrah from Merlin
Taro from Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Jabberwocky from Alice in Wonderland
Fell Beasts from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

tyrantqueen

QuoteWhat is being given as the line between fantasy creatures and dragons here? We were shown some poodle looking thing and it was allowed to be a dragon, so I wonder how it can breathe fire with fur?
That "poodle looking thing" (Falkor) is supposed to be based on a Chinese dragon, which seldom breathe fire (although he is capable of doing so). Maybe he has fire retardant fur or something. The original poster did not specify whether he was talking about traditional western dragons, or if it was anything goes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDragonsAreDifferent

For me, dragon is an umbrella term. If the creator says it's a dragon, and it is vaguely reptilian in design, that's good enough for me. I like seeing new spins on old concepts. Btw, Falkor does have scales

Most Asian dragons are more of a chimera of different species, including snakes, eagles, horses, deer etc.

amargasaurus cazaui

"Falkor" looks much like a cross between a lizard and a pound puppie that noonet would adopt !!! I always thought dragons were more reptilian and such, I never knew they could resemble a mutt !!!  So this unabashed Chimera is considered a dragon, however a flying reptilian creature is not?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 06, 2014, 02:54:49 PM
"Falkor" looks much like a cross between a lizard and a pound puppie that noonetile would adopt !!! I always thought dragons were more reptilian and such, I never knew they could resemble a mutt !!!  So this unabashed Chimera is considered a dragon, however a flying reptilian creature is not?
I'd adopt it, for me a dog is the best pet companion animal that ever existed. Not sure what you mean by "noonetile". As for the Avatar thing, I never said it isn't a dragon. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't say for sure. Looks like one to me. But then again, I'm not a purist when it comes to these things. Fantasy concepts are always changing.

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 06, 2014, 02:54:49 PM
"Falkor" looks much like a cross between a lizard and a pound puppie that noonet would adopt !!! I always thought dragons were more reptilian and such, I never knew they could resemble a mutt !!!  So this unabashed Chimera is considered a dragon, however a flying reptilian creature is not?

Are you really not familiar with the Chinese dragon?

Dragons are creatures of mythology and folklore but many places have their own dragon myths and variations. What you're used to are the European dragons but other cultures have dragons too even if they don't look like the European variation. "Avatar" is a grounded (I use that term loosely) science fiction movie that takes place on another planet. The creatures resemble dragons but they're never referred to as such and despite the superficial resemble there is no reason to assume that is what they are. If you want to call them dragons that is fine but when I think of a dragon I think of a mythical creature, often with a magical powers of some sort that lives on earth. The creatures from "Avatar" are just animals. They fly, and they're big but they're too grounded to be considered dragons like the mythical beasts in this poll. They are no more a dragon than a Komodo dragon is a dragon.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAre you really not familiar with the Chinese dragon?
Lol.

amargasaurus cazaui

That is a gorgeous picture you shared Gwangi.The animal has a mane, horns and could be reasonably construed as a doglike animal, or an oddly drawn reptile of course.That sort of dragon, I am not familiar with , I have to say.
  Just to rebutt a few of these points you are making, yes Avatar is on another planet..but, the Hobbit creatures live INSIDE a planet. I think the argument that it has to be an earth creature is somewhat lost in that. Inner space, outer space?
  Answering the second of your criteria ..magic powers. Of course the Ikran had a magic power, remember the ending of the movie? I would call that gift rather magical...yes?

QuoteThey fly, and they're big but they're too grounded to be considered dragons
I am trying to grasp that....too grounded to be a dragon? The picture she posted of Falkor shows him sleeping on the ground...huh?
   No they were never referred to as dragons..or were they? remember the legend that was told to him about Toruk and its story? Of the other Ikran and the skelton she showed him? I would say that made them rather mythical, legendary and quite dragonlike. Food for thought of course, but the elements are all in the movie. Because it is on another world they never actually called them dragons but, they were about as close as you are going to find in a movie.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 06, 2014, 04:04:00 PM
Just to rebutt a few of these points you are making, yes Avatar is on another planet..but, the Hobbit creatures live INSIDE a planet.
What are you talking about? The Hobbit is not set inside a planet, why would you think it was?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Simon on June 06, 2014, 09:53:43 AM
Well, they forgot 'em!  Just like they originally forgot Taro!

You know I didn't think of those critters either.  "Avatar" was an outer space movie and those creatures were more like extra-terrestrial Pterosaurs.

Pretty, yes.  But not fire-breathing dragons.  I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere .... now ...

PLEASE GO VOTE FOR HARRYHAUSEN'S TARO.   ;) ;) ;)
I did not forget them, they're not dragons. It is obvious, too.

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 06, 2014, 04:04:00 PM
That is a gorgeous picture you shared Gwangi.The animal has a mane, horns and could be reasonably construed as a doglike animal, or an oddly drawn reptile of course.That sort of dragon, I am not familiar with , I have to say.

That is a typical Chinese dragon, some do appear more reptilian and some more mammalian. Either way, for that particular culture a dragon like Falcor is not unusual.

QuoteJust to rebutt a few of these points you are making, yes Avatar is on another planet..but, the Hobbit creatures live INSIDE a planet. I think the argument that it has to be an earth creature is somewhat lost in that. Inner space, outer space?

Middle Earth is not literally in the middle of the earth. It represents a continent on an alternate version of the earth itself. It is a fantasy, not science fiction (like "Avatar"). It is the same with Westeros in "Game of Thrones" or Tamriel in the Elder Scrolls games. That is what fantasy usually is, a alternate version of earth inspired by and populated by the folklore and mythologies of that time and place. Middle Earth is inspired by Medieval Europe. It is clearly designed that way and populated by creatures borrowed from the mythology of that region.

QuoteAnswering the second of your criteria ..magic powers. Of course the Ikran had a magic power, remember the ending of the movie? I would call that gift rather magical...yes?

I don't recall any magic powers attributed to the creature. The entire movie "Avatar" attempts to explain everything using science. It is fiction, but it has a "rational" explanation. No magic involved.

QuoteI am trying to grasp that....too grounded to be a dragon? The picture she posted of Falkor shows him sleeping on the ground...huh?

Watch the movie I guess. Falkor in "The Neverending Story" does fly, without the aid of wings. He can also talk. I would consider those magical powers befitting a magical creature like a dragon, not simply a flying reptile. And yes...he can sleep on the ground. So what?

amargasaurus cazaui

Alternate earth, inner earth, fantasy earth, another planet...that all starts to sound like some more serious hair splitting for me.
Alright, so define magic? Magic is simply a science yet not understood. So by native american standards a radio would have seemed magic, and is something a grade schooler considers outdated today.Powerful magic. At the finale of Avatar, all the animals and the planet itself appear to work together to protect their world. If this is not a magical power then what is? I am guessing by magical your definition requires something that cannot be explained. Had the movie not offered the exvplanation of the plants using their roots to communicate, one tree to another and working together, it would have appeared magical. Since their was a reason given it is considered science and not magic. But anything you can name is magical I would suggest  is just a poorly understood science.
   Speech.....here we go again. Magical right? So in Avatar they joined the mane of the animal to them and could talk to the animal. Words but with thoughts...magic versus science I would guess. Because an explanation is given somehow less magical apparently.
   Anyways in my opinion at least their being left out is a horrible omission . and even worse thought out

Yutyrannus

Not that it has anything to do with this poll, but I will define magic for you (at least what it means in regards to fantasy):
"Magic is the ability to affect and change the world around the user."

brandem

But I could go outside and chop down a tree, it would change the world around me but a wouldn't consider it magic

tyrantqueen

I suppose that the two concepts (sci-fi and fantasy) aren't that far removed from each other. They both involve suspension of disbelief, it's just that sci-fi is more rooted in providing a rational explanation for its viewers (and the fact that it's somewhat within the realm of believability intrigues people). You could argue Clarke's third law can be applied to any fantasy story. But most people do not seek or require a factual explanation for stuff that happens in fantasy films, it's just accepted as "magic", and that's it. 

amargasaurus cazaui

By your definition, my typing in this thread is magic as it has changed your world in some way, albeit minor. Brandems comment is quite accurate given your statement.
Basically it comes down to hair splitting and stereotypes. Because I chose a dragon you do not feel fits your stereotypes for a dragon it is not considered one, despite the fact it fits nearly every burden of proof you have suggested.
Just an secondary thought, but shouldnt a poll be designed to learn others opinions or thoughts rather than forcing them to work within yours?
  Anyways, thats my vote wether its allowed or not. It becomes an exercise in futility debating wether my fantasy creature deserves dragon status more than yours, when there was no given criteria for the definition of the term given.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 07, 2014, 02:47:51 AM
By your definition, my typing in this thread is magic as it has changed your world in some way, albeit minor. Brandems comment is quite accurate given your statement.
Basically it comes down to hair splitting and stereotypes. Because I chose a dragon you do not feel fits your stereotypes for a dragon it is not considered one, despite the fact it fits nearly every burden of proof you have suggested.
Just an secondary thought, but shouldnt a poll be designed to learn others opinions or thoughts rather than forcing them to work within yours?
  Anyways, thats my vote wether its allowed or not. It becomes an exercise in futility debating wether my fantasy creature deserves dragon status more than yours, when there was no given criteria for the definition of the term given.
It's obviously not a dragon. It bears only the faintest resemblance to a dragon (It is a large flying creature), if you that counts as a dragon then so does a Quetzalcoatlus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think we're getting a bit OT now. I really don't want  to see this degenerate anymore okay ?

Why not stick to anything labeled a dragon in film ?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2014, 05:01:28 AM
I think we're getting a bit OT now. I really don't want  to see this degenerate anymore okay ?

Why not stick to anything labeled a dragon in film ?
I thought this was going to be a fun thread about fantasy creatures. But instead it's already turning into an unnecessary argument. I'm outta here.

brandem

We could resolve this real quick by saying this poll is the best western inspired movies dragons, if need be I will start treads for best eastern inspired dragons and space dragons.

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can do that.  We encourage discussion, but we don't want this to turn into anymore of an argument. As TQ pointed out it's already getting kinda rough. 

Yutyrannus

I think the argument is over so this thread can go back to being a discussion about movie dragons. Also, is there anyone who still needs to vote or should I lock the poll?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: