News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

for a fairly large model I would probably prefer the more durable materials
but having multiple available (if possible) would be best to appeal to everyone

fabricious

Thanks for all the feedback, that is really helpful. I will make any of my models available in as many materials as possible, so everyone can chose, I was just curious to know how you'd order larger models.

As for the birds: I am a big fan of Kelenken guillermoi, so I really want to get a chance at modeling that bad boy. Concerning mammals I was thinking of Teleoceras, since it has a really interesting body shape (I like pudgy animals). After I've gone through my ever growing list I'll be up for suggestions as well. :)

stargatedalek

you can never go wrong with phorusrhacids ;)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: fabricious on October 18, 2014, 06:28:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, that is really helpful. I will make any of my models available in as many materials as possible, so everyone can chose, I was just curious to know how you'd order larger models.

As for the birds: I am a big fan of Kelenken guillermoi, so I really want to get a chance at modeling that bad boy. Concerning mammals I was thinking of Teleoceras, since it has a really interesting body shape (I like pudgy animals). After I've gone through my ever growing list I'll be up for suggestions as well. :)
Please do Kelenken, that is one awesome bird ;D!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

fabricious

A little update on this fellow:

And now onwards to feathering...

fabricious

He/She is starting to wear their summer plumage!

Geez, feathers are hard... even harder with my polygon restrictions due to a lack of proper hardware, haha.

fabricious

For a first try at feathering (and keeping in mind that most of the detail won't show on shapeways-prints): I am, so far, rather pleased.

Pinkamena

Quote from: fabricious on October 14, 2014, 12:00:28 AM

Oh wow I adore him!

Sorely tempted to buy him, no idea what P&P to the UK would be though and I am no artist so he would remain forever ghostlike with me.
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

fabricious

You could surely have him painted for you, there are quite a few very talented artists specializing in doing just that. Martin Garratt, for example, he lives in the UK and does an amazing job at painting and basing blank models.

tyrantqueen

QuoteSorely tempted to buy him, no idea what P&P to the UK would be though and I am no artist so he would remain forever ghostlike with me.
The shipping from Shapeways.com for European countries is done from their factory in the Netherlands, so it's fine. I've ordered plenty of stuff from them and I've had no problems.

fabricious

Now this would make for a funny pose... Maybe I'll do that, with a closed jaw, tail raised higher for counterbalance and arms lowered? But there's need for a hunting pose, first... Oh, and I need to make teeth. Geez. :D

DinoLord

A big phorusrhacid like Kelenken would be awesome! I've always been fascinated by that group of animals.

I can see that last pose you posted being a nice one with the tail raised and the feet a bit further apart in a more grounded stance. Also I'm not sure if it's the angle of the pics so far, but the base of the tail on this one is looking a tad thin. Everything else seems to be spot on.

fabricious

Quote from: DinoLord on October 18, 2014, 11:32:25 PM
A big phorusrhacid like Kelenken would be awesome! I've always been fascinated by that group of animals.

I can see that last pose you posted being a nice one with the tail raised and the feet a bit further apart in a more grounded stance.

I will definitely fiddle around with that for sure! For now: test-fitting the jaw, upper row of teeth added.

He/She looks amazingly satisfied for some reason.

Pinkamena

Quote from: fabricious on October 18, 2014, 11:01:45 PM
You could surely have him painted for you, there are quite a few very talented artists specializing in doing just that. Martin Garratt, for example, he lives in the UK and does an amazing job at painting and basing blank models.

That's a good idea, will see what the finances say at the end of the month! Even as a dinoghost he's still pretty darn handsome. I love your sculpt so much!

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 18, 2014, 11:19:50 PM
QuoteSorely tempted to buy him, no idea what P&P to the UK would be though and I am no artist so he would remain forever ghostlike with me.
The shipping from Shapeways.com for European countries is done from their factory in the Netherlands, so it's fine. I've ordered plenty of stuff from them and I've had no problems.

That's great, thanks for letting me know!
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

fabricious

Quote from: Pinkamena on October 19, 2014, 12:34:26 AM
That's a good idea, will see what the finances say at the end of the month! Even as a dinoghost he's still pretty darn handsome. I love your sculpt so much!

I'm glad you like it!

Last update for today (since it's almost 2 AM here): Quick test posing. Looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun posing this one properly.

tyrantqueen

Reminds me a lot of David Krentz updated "Judith" sculpt.

Looks good so far :)

stargatedalek

do you foresee balance being an issue?

DinoLord

The latest pose looks pretty badass.  8)

@tyrantqueen: I didn't know David updated his sculpt; it's a nice one! I don't see to many overt similarities beyond the two sculpts representing the genus well.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: fabricious on October 19, 2014, 12:40:58 AM
Quote from: Pinkamena on October 19, 2014, 12:34:26 AM

I'm glad you like it!

Last update for today (since it's almost 2 AM here): Quick test posing. Looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun posing this one properly.

Awesome! I don't buy Shapeways models very often, but I think I probably will get this one eventually. Also, after this and Kelenken, may I suggest doing Lythronax or Teratophoneus?

EDIT: Also, I think you should keep this pose, it makes Albertosaurus look sort of regal :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Patrx

Wow! This one is looking flat-out brilliant.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: